What to look for in a bike jacket?

81CharlieBravo

Pretty new to riding and I need to get a good, mostly year round jacket. I could use a lil direction. I just don't know exactly what to look for and how to not get ripped off. I would like to stay under $150 if its possible. Thanks!

Hit up a good vintage shop, not the trendy kind that rips you off. Preferably one thats run by old hippies.

Get something that fits and looks good. Make sure the leather feels nice and thick and not too soft or feeble. Try to picture it hitting the ground at high speed and imagine how it would hold up.

New high tech jackets are for people with too much money and common sense, no fun in that.

What sort of riding are you going to be doing? Mostly around town or planning any longer trips? Riding in all weather conditions? Cold / hot?

So many choices and $150 will buy you many different styles. Most importantly I'd look for a jacket with CE armor in the shoulders, elbows/forearms and a back pad. These typically can be removed as well.

Aside from that it comes down to leather vs textile, 3/4 vs waist length and style/color.

My first jacket was a 3/4 length Joe Rocket textile jacket with lots of zipped vents etc.

A good place to see what sort of selection there is and search by price etc is: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Street-Bike-Jackets-Mens-Riding-Gear.aspx#&&Back=0-0-20%2c175-0-0-0-0-24-3-1-1

Good advice from Tim. I have a Joe Rocket CE armored textile jacket I got from MotorCycleGear.com and a leather one from Jafrum.com. Both together were only a smidge more expensive than your $150 budget. The leather is great in the spring, fall and winter, the textile is very comfortable in summer. Both have zippered vents which are a good choice for making them more versatile. As for styles, check out both of these vendors. You don't have to look like a PowerRanger when wearing a good, new jacket.

I'm all about the armor personally and the ability to upgrade what comes with the jacket. I prefer ballistic nylon jackets but for riding suits I prefer leathers. Great place to buy last years models at low prices. www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

My recommendation for a good all year jacket is one made of leather with a removable liner and vents on the chest back and sleeves that you can zip open for ventilation. I found a killer jacket at motorcycle superstore for $110 on sale. Retail was 350. They have free shipping and you can return the jacket if you dont like it or it doesn't fit. Its kind of flashy looking and the belt is useless but its super comfortable and soft and warm, and cool if you open up the vents and take out the liner. I dont recommend the taxtile ones really nor the ones without a collar = goofy looking. I just looked and the one I got is gone. Check it out, the prices are not super low now at the start of riding seaon.

This jacket has been awesome and super quality. The leather feels great, there's a removal liner which adds a lot of warmth, and plenty of vents for when its hot. I have it in black because i love how it looks but it comes in many colors so you can match it with your bike if you're into that. has other cool features like sleeves you can widen with a zipper, i do it just to get some more air in there when its hot. Its the icon motorhead. Make sure it fits well, not loose. As said earlier, check the leather quality, and realize that the jacket will come up when you're on your bike so when you try on a jacket try and sit like you would on your bike. my jacket is longer in the back to make up for that

iconm.jpg

Don't forget to cruise eBay. The good sellers list the jackets full measurements so you know exactly what you're getting. I snagged an awesome vintage black leather cafe style riding jacket for only $40.

+1 for icon, i have also a black jacket from them, leather is awesome

mine has armor and holes to breathe, and i think 2 zips to vent some air. Go black, it goes with everything, i usually laugh at the guys that try to get the whole outfit to match the bike, or their outfit doesn't even come close to matching

Lots of good advice here. I can only echo, you have LOTS of options under $150. Textile jackets are a great intro and help you figure out what features you like/want. There are many features and options for you. I must stress, even though it might be unpopular with some of the new squids on the board SUBSTANCE OVER STYLE. You only have to read two or three horror stories on here to know that you need to cover your ass.

Points to look for: Double stitching with textile jackets. Check all the seams, pockets, etc. Removable liners are good. Perhaps get a size larger than normal so you can stuff a thermal or multiple layers underneath for cooler weather. Make sure sleeves don't restrict your range of comfort.

When thinking about style vs. substance remember this about cool: "Cool" is conservative fear dressed in black.

Also, here's my Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0 jacket. $109. Wife surprised me one day with it. She said "if you're gonna ride, you're gonna ride safe." 3 years and no complaints with this jacket. And yes, hell yes I'm standing in my bathroom taking pictures.

IMG_1039-1.jpg

If you get a chance to try it on before buying, the sleeves should feel long. That way they will be right when you're riding. Remeber when you were a kid and Mom made you try on suit coats you didn't want. So you would stick your arms out to prove it was too short and the sleeves would go 1/2 way up your fore-arm? You don't want your jacket to do that on a ride.

I see nothing wrong with getting an inexpensive first jacket. It'll help you determine your needs and preferences. But consider, for the long run--once you know for sure what you want and need in a jacket--paying $500 for something that lasts 10-20 years might beat buying a new $150 jacket that wears out every 2-3 years. (or not, if you like to get new stuff all the time...)

Protection on "CE rated" armored models is probably going to be about the same regardless of price point, but fit and quality of stitching/zippers/etc might vary widely with price.

Coupla good options here, although the closeout section on most big bike accessory websites can be good:

http://www.revzilla.com/clearance-motorcycle-jackets

Back
Top Bottom