CB/CL350 Starting Issues!

1984cc

Originally I was concerned about the timing of my engine but I was graciously given the FSM doc and I think I'm good. Also my compression is golden, I have spark, and my fuel is good with wet carb floats. This is my carbed motor of any sort so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything obvious?

After kicking and kicking trying to start it, I did get a backfire with tons of smoke, then a few smaller backfires after that. I am also running a PAMCO ignition plate for the CB350 (from cb450ignition.com).

Is my timing 180* off? Help getting it started please?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just wanted to get some clarification on the engine timing for my CL350. Should the pin on the cam be straight up when the left cylinder is at TDC? The Clymer didn't specify but kind of got the feeling they should all line up (left cylinder at TDC, pin on the cam and the LT mark on the crank).

I'm having trouble getting it started after having everything all apart. Spark is solid, fuel is in the lines...still have to check everything else.

Re: CB/CL350 Engine Timing

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a .pdf of the factory manual. Much more informative and detailed than the Clymers. I couldn't believe how much was left out of the Clymers when I got my hands on the FSM.

I'm pretty sure the pin is down, always thought it was bit weird ;)

crazypj said:
I'm pretty sure the pin is down, always thought it was bit weird ;)

Ok, cool. That makes me feel better. Hopefully it's just the carb floats acting up then and not a compression issue.

1969Honda said:
1984cc- I'm not seeing any e-mails so I found an FTP site and uploaded the manual. Enjoy https://hotfile.com/dl/152749145/4f9aca2/Honda_CBCLSL_250-350.pdf.html ;)

Not sure what happened with the email...but appreciate you hosting it and appreciate the FSM :)

Re: CB/CL350 Engine Timing / Starting Issues

So my compression is fantastic (150-160psi range). I have good solid spark with all new ignition components. I have fuel flow and wet carb floats.

Turns out I needed to swap the spark plug wires...kind of a fail on my part. I'm not too surprised with the whole new wiring harness and putting in the Pamco ignition. I re-timed it/adjusted the valves after that and she started right up! Wonderful feeling after being apart for 7 months.

Back
Top Bottom