Want to go two stroke... where to start?

or this one...http://www.aaenperformance.com/V4_racing_engine.asp

Not seriously. Just taking Hoof's idea one step out.

teazer said:
or this one...http://www.aaenperformance.com/V4_racing_engine.asp

Not seriously. Just taking Hoof's idea one step out.

Looks like a better idea than mine!!

Wow yea I can't imagin anything going wrong with a 275hp drag motor in a featherbed frame being ridden by a guy who has only ever ridden a 750

Well that was in interesting diversion. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

First two stroke for the street eh. RD 250/350/400 in old school or RZ350 for a more modern stroker. In other countries the choices are much wider. RGV sounds nice or maybe an Aprillia RS250 - awesome bikes. 65hp and street legal in most places other than the US.

Maybe even a dual sport to make into a Resto Motard or street tracker. Lots of options.

Best answer is to find something that runs and comes with all the right paperwork.

I don't know too much about 2 strokes - except don't look at KR250's. If you find one still running it will be a miracle - they were the original early 80's hand grenade.

I'd start with a Yamaha RD350 or RD400, or a Suzuki GT380 or GT550. The GT750 water buffalo commands top dollar, and if you can snag one do it, but the smaller bikes are fun too. The Kawasakis are notoriously unreliable. I'd honestly give them a pass. That GT750 is a 100,000 mile motor, with a smooth, reliable suspension and lots of torque over a wide power band. With a Kawasaki, you're looking at a complete rebuild every 15k, a narrow powerband, a frame made out of wet spaghetti, and handling that begot the phrase "tank-slapper".

For me, I'd go Yam or Suz, and skip the Kaw (any of them) entirely.

Charles.

ChopperCharles said:
I'd start with a Yamaha RD350 or RD400, or a Suzuki GT380 or GT550. The GT750 water buffalo commands top dollar, and if you can snag one do it, but the smaller bikes are fun too. The Kawasakis are notoriously unreliable. I'd honestly give them a pass. That GT750 is a 100,000 mile motor, with a smooth, reliable suspension and lots of torque over a wide power band. With a Kawasaki, you're looking at a complete rebuild every 15k, a narrow powerband, a frame made out of wet spaghetti, and handling that begot the phrase "tank-slapper".

For me, I'd go Yam or Suz, and skip the Kaw (any of them) entirely.

Charles.

You're a little over 5 years late to this party Charles...

and while they may not be the best choice in this particular case, my personal experience causes me to disagree with your assessment of Kawasaki 2 stroke triples. ::)

Sonreir™ said:
T250 or RD250 are both excellent starter bikes for smokers. There's also the DT range of bikes if your tastes lean more toward enduro styles.

I gave a nice T250 for sale in Poconos Craigslist. Not original. Has a 73 GT250 engine. Cylinders bored 1.0mm. Engine was rebuilt, 4 years ago, from the crank up. The bottom end was a rebuilt assembly from Paul Miller Suzuki

TripleKing said:
I gave a nice T250 for sale in Poconos Craigslist. Not original. Has a 73 GT250 engine. Cylinders bored 1.0mm. Engine was rebuilt, 4 years ago, from the crank up. The bottom end was a rebuilt assembly from Paul Miller Suzuki

Price?

Back
Top Bottom