My new to me kz400. Your assistance please!

.paul

Evenin!

I finally picked up my first motorcycle ever and I'm really excited to get riding, however, there's a couple things that need some fiddling with, hopefully I can get some guidance! First thing though. Here's a picture!

photo.jpg

1975 kz400d3

Anyway, on to the issues!

1. Tank has a touch of rust in it. Would I need to line it as well? They sell a kit with lining as well.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?item=TU53-1203

2. Carb holders are cracked and electrical tape is used to kind of hold some air...

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-16065-1135.html

3. When it starts it idles around 800 rpm. Normal? It may run for 10-20 seconds, then die.

4. I was able to get out and do some riding but something seemed up. I was putting along (somewhat normally I believed) and the bike seems to surge and exhaust notes only seem to come out of the left side. When it starts to surge (to what I now assume to be proper running) it seems as if the exhaust notes are now even coming out of both exhausts. It did die a couple times as well. When I went up a hill I had to shift a few gears down to be able to make it up. My guess... carb related...possibly petcock related, maybe some of the rust in the tank made it's way into the fuel system, possibly the carb and is not allowing fuel to get through the carbs right, robbing power.

Ways to fix? Carb clean? Carb rebuild? Carb holder issue related? I really want to get out before summer is up!! Thanks in advance for the help. Much appreciated.

.paul

first thing would be rebuild and tune the carbs. Also get the correct clamps to hold thecarbs on. See how it goes after that

If the tank has any rust in it, you should clean out as much rust as you can and reline it. Otherwise you will be cleaning carbs til...well forever.
Along with rebuilding the carbs, make sure that the points are clean and working properly.

teddpage said:
If the tank has any rust in it, you should clean out as much rust as you can and reline it. Otherwise you will be cleaning carbs til...well forever.
Along with rebuilding the carbs, make sure that the points are clean and working properly.

I'm doing electrolysis on it now and it seems to be working very well on it.

.paul said:
I'm doing electrolysis on it now and it seems to be working very well on it.

Nice! first bike and straight into the magic of electrolysis! Good you're not scared to try stuff!

electrolysis is timely and rediculous just wash it out with some acid, neutralize, dry thoroughly and get some red kote that stuff works great to seal a tank.

axeugene27 said:
electrolysis is timely and rediculous just wash it out with some acid, neutralize, dry thoroughly and get some red kote that stuff works great to seal a tank.

Ok do this is the Internet right...? I've read that sealing a tank is not a good thing. What's the story? And what's this process of acid and neutralize? Electrolysis is workin pretty well right now. Some of the really bad spots are being stubborn right now.

muriatic acid well documented process of rust remediation just be careful it's toxic. The google box will guide you. you can achieve good results just sloshing a bottle of naval jelly and letting it sit for a short time then rinsing thoroughly also. surface rust will come quickly no matter what process you use so you have to either fill it quicky and keep it filled or better option to seal it. i don't see why you shouldnt never been a problem for me.

i think using sealer on the tanks is not a good thing , if don wrong the sealer will came off . my tank has the sealer and is coming out ,i don't know what to do .

If you follow the instructions you shouldn't have that issue. it's like saying painting a tank yourself is a bad idea. It is if you don't take the time to do it right or use sub par products. Not saying you did flaco just my 2c.

axeugene27 said:

I think it's safe to say electrolysis is a proven method for cleaning a tank. Yours is probably too, but not better or worse. It both has it's pro's and con's. I personally think his way is the right way, because he's doing it and he's having fun.

TMHO every single tank sealer sucks big dick. Shit will come loose eventualy and then you're really screwed. To me, it's nothing more than a bandage on an infected wound.

I've done it. electrolysis that is. It worked somewhat, took forever and i ended up using acid anyways. I have sealed tanks with por 15 and red kote without any issues.

Bert Jan said:
I think it's safe to say electrolysis is a proven method for cleaning a tank. Yours is probably too, but not better or worse. It both has it's pro's and con's. I personally think his way is the right way, because he's doing it and he's having fun.

TMHO every single tank sealer sucks big dick. Shit will come loose eventualy and then you're really screwed. To me, it's nothing more than a bandage on an infected wound.
I purchase my bike whit the sealer in the tank and is nothing bot trouble i am not saying is nat worth it ,at list for me is not

axeugene27 said:
If you follow the instructions you shouldn't have that issue. it's like saying painting a tank yourself is a bad idea. It is if you don't take the time to do it right or use sub par products. Not saying you did flaco just my 2c.
for me is not good when you purchase a bike whit the sealer in the tank is nothing bot trouble .is loose now i don't know what to do to remove it .

I'm on day 3 of electrolysis. I wouldn't say it's fun...I'd rather be riding. But I is interesting that's for sure.

18122069-e3b7-e745.jpg

Thanks for the input gents. Any idea where to get replacement carb holders and airbox boots for a 75 kz400? Fack theyre hard to find.

Paul

.paul said:
I'm on day 3 of electrolysis. I wouldn't say it's fun...I'd rather be riding. But I is interesting that's for sure.

18122069-e3b7-e745.jpg

Thanks for the input gents. Any idea where to get replacement carb holders and airbox boots for a 75 kz400? Fack theyre hard to find.

Paul
thats way i an using a gsxr750 front forks
And a harley wheel .

Back
Top Bottom