CB350F still smoking after 2 rebuilds... Ideas anyone? NEED HELP.

Craywm

Okay all,

so i just finished rebuilding the top end on my 350 for the second time. the reason for rebuild 1 was Gas in the oil, reason for rebuild 2 was blown head gasket (and a ton of oil burning). so i replaced the rings, cleaned everything up, replaced base gasket, head gasket, and stem seals (exhaust has so seals as this was a early honda design), and also lightly honed cylinders to help the rings seat. I ordered an athena gasket kit (ive heard they manufacture good gasket replacements).

So i finished putting it together yesterday and i was getting alot of white smoke, like a smoke screen while revving. i was hoping that there was just unburnt oil left in the exhaust from the prev rebuild. mind that this was after a complete rebuild with gasket replacements. so i let it run for about 30 min. there was a light change in the smoke but on revving there was still a fair amount. checked oil (perfect) and let it run longer. after 30 minutes i took her out to see if i could burn it out of the exhaust. no such luck. it seemed to get a little bit better but not by much. i also just rebuilt the carbs so she ran great though i didnt push her hard. the whole short ride she was blowing smoke out the exhaust..

so im at a loss.. is there anything ive missed here? i really dont want to do another rebuild. I KNOW my rings are all the right way.. and i replaced all the gaskets. it runs fine just smoke like crazy.. i ordered an adapter for my compression tester but it did not fit correctly so i decided not to use it.. but its pretty clear whats happening. i only honned each cylinder for about 45 seconds on medium speed to remove glaze. you dont think that this could cause too much oil to stay in the cylinders do you? i really dont want to have to rebuild and buy a new head gasket.. everything is torqued properly.. i also replaced all my oil seals as well.. i just dont understand. honda designed it not to leak with all new seals.. why would it still spring a leak.... PLEASE HELP!

Oil is fresh and not over filled. original rebuild was for gas in the case, bad rings. ALL top end seals replaced. rings were gummed up but i freed them and replaced. its a 74 cb350F1 and i did not have the surfaces trued up.

CB350F still smoking after 2 rebuilds... Ideas anyone? NEED HELP.

Hmmmm
Dump 1/3 of a can of Seafoam engine treatment Into your oil, and 1/3 into your gas tank.
That's the only thing I can think of that doesn't involve another tear down.
Sorry man I have been there I know how much it sucks.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more knowlege

Hey fella! Give this post an update, I'm in the same boat it seems, but I DO have synthetic oil in there that I'm going to change out for breaking her in.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

cbkiddo said:
Hey fella! Give this post an update, I'm in the same boat it seems, but I DO have synthetic oil in there that I'm going to change out for breaking her in.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
This is a 4 year old thread, but let me answer - if its blowing tons of white smoke after a rebuild to cure said condition? You fucked it up. Bad.
Probably never measured ring gap, piston to cylinder clearance, valve to guide clearance. Just guessing? Measuring is knowing.
Engine work is expensive and not something to take chances with. Buy a few wrecked chinese engines and learn on them instead of old fours. A lot less expensive!

Back
Top Bottom