RD350 bargain bike project - many parts needed !

kenmasters

Looking for parts for my cafe racer project. I will be spending the next few months rebuilding the engine and cleaning things up, but I will need lots of parts. My goal is to complete the project 1 year from now on a bargain basement budget. There are more parts than I can list or am aware of yet. Thanks for looking!

- low profile front and back fenders
- cafe racer seat (MikeXS or Moto Lana, or something that would look good with a Benelli tank)
- rd400 rims
- front and rear disc brake set (maybe off a rd400)
- rearsets (early FZR, moto carrera, or similar)
- cables... (throttle, brake lines, clutch), shorter lengths for clubman bars
- brake master cylinder
- turn signals, brake light indicators, low profile, preferably LED
- brake light pressure switches
- kick start level, one that folds in
- license plate holder below or on the side
- K&N or Uni Y-boot air filter
- battery, low-profile
- petcocks and cap for a benelli mojave 360 tank, the cap can be any cap that fits
- rd400 tank, in case I i sell the benelli
- nice speedometer and tach gauges/dials
- bar end mirrors
- CDI, MZBm Chinoy ignition
- battery eliminator
- rear swing arm, better than stock
- rd350 engine rebuild kit (gaskets, pistons, crank seals, etc.)
- carb jets for a stock bike with filter + spec II pipes
- o-ring chain and low-profile chain guard
- tires, will buy used ones if they are in good condition

Tools
- alternator puller
- Clutch holding tool
- Dial gauge
- other..

To illustrate what I need, my bike looks like this..

1973 RD350

That is one heck of a list. Did you try pricing it up yet? That is where we realize that a cheap non running bike costs a heck of a lot more than a good, running bike.

A few thoughts/suggestions:

If you plan on re-spoking the wheels, go with aluminum rims.
Forget about used tires. They are too important.
New ignition nice but spendy
Spec2 pipes, great but spendy and work best with porting
I don't think that an engine kit exists - unlike cars. You can get cranks rebuilt and pistons gaskets seals etc are all available.
Brakes are OK as is, but add a modern master cylinder and caliper and think about a better disk
Mojave tanks are so overdone. Go with a 400 tank if you can find one at a good price.
Forget battery eliminator - you will have an oil tank, so keep side covers
Swingarm is OK but CalFab copy would be better
Hagon or YSS shocks would be a good idea
Fork upgrade would be a good idea.
O ring chain just eats power and is not needed unless you do a gazillion miles.
Keep the front section of the rear fender and get a TZ replica front fender plus fork brace.

Thanks Teazer! I haven't priced it up yet. I'm afraid of what I'll see. I have a running bike already, and this is just a side project for me to build the bike I deserve, not the bike I want (or whatever that saying goes) :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll take into consideration everything to help keep the costs down. First thing is to get the bike running, so parts that enable that goal has higher priority. I have the pipes already (looking for the carb upgrades to support the pipes) I also have the mojave tank already too. You know that's how amateurs roll... buy the seat, tank and pipes first :) I've been starring at the Mojave for the past week now and I'm thinking I like the boxy look of the RD400 tank more. But I have it so unless I find a good deal another tank, and don't suffer a loss on selling the benelli, I will keep to what I have.

The bike did not come with an oil pump and no side covers. I didn't put that on the list since I think its optional if I go pre-mix. I like the open frame, simplistic look too. For the engine rebuilt kit, I was thinking of the gasket, seals kit from EconomyCycle and they sell the pistons too. Nothing bottom-end. Potentially optional other than the seals since my compression numbers came back around 100-110 psi. Dyna S ingition sells for around $200? I think that doesn't include the coils, however. Thinking maybe a used one would be cheaper.

So far I've spent $550 that included the bike as-is, pipes, and Mojave tank, clubmans. Think I can put a nice bike together for under $2K ?

Unfortunately, the chances of that bike being completed as you want it for under $2000 are slim to none. You're looking at $3000 or more, easily. Cheap parts are a good way to build an unsafe or unreliable bike. Especially on a two stroke.

That said...

If you're patient, and vigilant in your searching there are always great deals out there.

Also... Add proper rear shocks to that list ($100+ if new) amd from the looks of it, a new front end. Those fork tubes look to be shot.

The forks are straight, but I haven't pulled it apart to see if they are seized/too rusted. The rear shocks, with some TLC and rust remover can be potentially be reused ?? My other stock bike has parts that is 37 years old, and I don't think they are more or less reliable than anything that I could be bought used. After assembly, I would probably take it to a mechanic for a comb over. As I do the build, I'll update everyone and put a $$ progress indicator :)

i run points on my rd and they work fine premix sucks once you get a healty motor.these bike go through fuel like grant went through the south the difference between reserve and empty is a hot and heavy 5 miles. a day of eazy riding ill burn a tank plus so how much oil you want ta carry
? good 2 cycle isnt cheap so the keep that in mind ill look and see if i got any thing on your list but i dont think i do i may want that rear wheel if you decide to sell of trade it let me know

I didn't mean straight... The forks look to be rusted in the travel area from that pic. Not a great pic though so I could be wrong.

Replace the rear shocks. I'd be willing to bet that in the condition they're in, at least one is leaking and to be honest, they were barely any good when new.

You can find some really nice aftermarket pieces in the $100 range or find a better used set that's in good useable condition on the cheap. The "wanted" section here is quite helpful.

Over the next few weeks I'll provide an update on my tear down.

The forks are rusted and you're right I may need need springs. I will test them to see if they can hold my weight under stress.

I wouldn't mind trading for newer RIMS (with discs back and front).

I don't know about any engine work. The bike looks like it's been raced, so chances are it's been rebuilt before. I think they are spec II F1s, but I'm not sure. They need a good cleaning. I don't want to heat them up or put them in a bbq. If there's a caustic cleaning service in Toronto, I may take them there. Here's a pic.

rear disc spoked wheel is a tuff one, i have a 40 spoke rear disc hub with the matching spokes for a 18 and a big cb/kaw kz hoop but is wide and your swingarm would need some work. i also have a 2000ish yz125 rear disc wheel it is a alum hoop 18 but it has a 50 tooth sprocket and i dont know is you can get a smaller gear but the swing arm whould still need a fair amount of work ill sell eather if you want. a twin shock dt250/yz250 swing arm is a eazy swap (3 or so longer) and a rd400 swinger is a direct swap(1.5 longer) and i hate to be the one to drive it home but those forks are junk the internals are probubly fine but the fork tubes are covered in rust where the seal rides and they will leak there 34mm if there stock so rd250/350/400 are a direct swap with your triples r5 forks are close but you will need matching top triple clamp and a drum front wheel your lower fork legs will fit a r5 upper tube. early xs650 ran 34mm forks but i not the guy that could tell ya what years. bang for the buck is a good set of rd400 forks there valved better and it a straight bolt on. nice pipes by the way. banshee pistons work great the intake side of the piston needs a little file work but it is cake and there is way more a piston selection make sure your zylinder clearence is good for a forged piston any way hope i helped

Thanks Bradj. I'm not familiar with all the bike setups either. I don't have go with spokes. I actually like the RD400 rims. Maybe it's more economical if I find a rd400 project bike and do an engine swap.

Nice pipes. I mean those pipes are no good. I will take them off your hands. ;-)

Ok i have to chim in on this !! Ive been where your at on starting a build and everyone is so spot on . A runner is the best way to start as the list you have is only the start to the build . After you start things tend to change and small things start to add up fast . Im not saying dont do it just keep in mind if you do dont count on a buget. When i started mine, thought 2grand should be NP at all well im way past that and not done . Still im glad i did as ive learned alot along the way .Good luck man !!!

You guys are killing me! ;D I have a running bike and wanted to make mods, and a bunch of you say go get a project bike. Now I have a project bike that was dirt cheap, but now you suggest having a running bike. ARGG!!

I think i'll invest about 2-3months of my time on the project bike.. get the engine rebuilt (myself) and see if I can recover as many parts as possible. Then I'll make the decision to either continue, or sell the parts. Pipes not for sale :)

Yo i wasnt tring to talk ya outta building your bike i was just giving you a heads up on what i figured out with mine rd are kool as hell a monkey could build that motor when there right there crazy fast. if there is any guy on dtt that can point ya in the right direction teazer is the one.

Agreed. Go to town on it. Just be honest with yourself on the the real final cost. Both time wise and monetarily. You can build a cheap and quick bike that may look ok, but will blow up in a month or you build it right. Take your time, spend the money where it's best suited.

Build a motor that's fun but will LAST. You're not setting TT lap times with the bike. If you can't ride anytime you want to, what's the point of building it?

A bikes only as fast as the chassis and suspension can carry it. Straight lines are for Chevy Novas and landspeed bikes. Cafes live in the twisties. Make sure yours will survive.

You don't have to spend a fortune, but speed and style cost...

LOL Think you missed the point on a few things LOL ;D If you have a running bike to ride when you want and is in good order then if you can pick up a project to build over time ! But if you dont have anything to ride at all then buy a running bike to start and slowly build on that . Having a bike to run around on makes building one much more fun and less of a $$ hit because your spead it out over time . But if you dont have a runner then you get in a hurry and the $$ seems up there and adds up fast !
Dont give up man build your dream !

Back
Top Bottom