HELP! GS450 Float Bowl Leaking (Lots of Pictures/Videos)

Legionnaire

WASSUP Y'ALL!
So I have a 1981 GS450E and the carbs used to be totally fine, and then the right one started a slow leak. I opened the carbs up and when I was done and went to tighten them down the carb body threads seemed to be stripping which made my stomach drop.

I turned my bike on one day and the gas was SPEWING out of the left carb this time, it leaked a little bit while the bike was off, but just SPEWED it when it was on. So I vice gripped the fuel line and stopped for the night. So I decided that I need to up the bolts to make sure the floats were tight.

I just recently tapped it from an M4 to an M5 and now the float bowls are on really tight like it used to be. But I put them back on and when the bike is on the side stand turned off it spews just as must fuel as it did when it was turned on before. It's a non stop leak. My petcock has an ON and a RES switch, and they both let the fuel continually flow into the carbs. I am pretty sure the ON should not let gravity flow the fuel down, but I don't think this is my main issue.

The float needle should stop the fuel from coming in before the gas even gets high enough to get to the float gasket, right? So here are some pictures/videos with explanations on what I tried and what looks worn out, etc:

My floats...well float:

RQfNI.jpg

VIDEO: (Floats do not seem to be stuck, bounce nicely)
http://youtu.be/adrVe4n6fm0

I kind of vaguely remember pulling off the carbs when they had gas in them and shaking it and only hearing the non-leaking side float move, what would make a totally clean float get stuck when submerged in gas?

One of my needle jets is a little banged up, would that effect anything, it also pulls out by hand...

Good:
fR1Dz.jpg

Bad:
A273n.jpg

VIDEO: (Pulling out needle jet out by hand)
http://youtu.be/1ALiuLIMfLk

Here are my needle jets, I was wondering if they are in a good state, or if that little ring around the tip could actually cause all my problems:

cDPEy.jpg

My floats are actually different sizes, the carbs worked great the whole time till now even with different size floats:

WMOkM.jpg

Here is the valve seats, the gaskets aren't torn and the insides of these guys look nice and smooth, no gunk:

g3lA3.jpg

epKE2.jpg

So I was thinking that it was my gaskets as my first idea, but they look fine and are tightened up real nice, plus the gas should't go above the gaskets in the first place right, not just sitting there at least. The needle jets should stop the fuel intake.

I set my floats to 26.6mm (Bassclif's diagram is apparently wrong, and another member told me 26.6mm is the right place to be)

I put the needle jet and float from the non leaking carb and put it in the leaking carb and the original leaky carb is still leaking.

Right now my main ideas/solutions are:

1. Buy new float bowl gaskets
2. Buy new valve seat/needle jet/gasket
3. Buy new petcock

I was also thinking about saying screw it all and just buying these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GS-450-GS450-80-82-REBUILT-MIKUNI-CARBS-/330796425843?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0500e273&vxp=mtr

Here is a petcock too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GS450-550-650-700-750-850-1100-FUEL-PETCOCK-/270987264608?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f18198260&vxp=mtr

If anyone could give me some advice I would be eternally grateful, I really need a fresh pair of eyes to point out the obvious for me, thanks!

Here is something extra that I don't think pertains to this, when I dipped the carbs part of one of the carbs was at the fluid line and it left this gnarly line around a lot of the carb. Also the carbs used to have an aluminum shiny/smoothyness to them and now after this carb dip they are rough and feel like they are deteriorating. With a clean finger I can wipe my finger on the carb and my finger is gray and dusty:

DEIit.jpg

HERE IS A VIDEO OF THE ALMIGHTY FUEL LEAK ITSELF: http://youtu.be/e18ujma2Rm8

Legion, you may want to update with what was said on the other forum.........

One thing I did want to tell you however (without being bombarded by any purists), is that you may have better luck fitting modern carbs. Either some from a first generation GS500 (pre 2002 I think?) or even some Mikuni VM30's. Just check the engine side diameter of your current carbs, and see how close the ones I mentioned are.

Okay I will ASAP, I am on my phone right now.

Yeah I love that forum to death but sometimes there are too many rules and opinions... Purists is the perfect word hah!

I never would have thought about that at all! I'll def eBay some and see what happens. How does that work with all the float heights, jets and such?

Well, the GS500 carbs would be a pretty easy swap. To the best of ny knowledge, the engine side of the carbs are the same diameter and spacing as yours. The airbox side of the carbs is a larger diameter, so you couldn't use your current pods. Jetting, float height, etc, would probably stay stock (GS500 stock, not GS450 stock).

The Mikuni VM30's would be a whole 'nother ball game. Unless you really enjoy doing research and getting in & out of your carbs about 100 times, I would lean towards GS carbs.

Thanks a lot Rich! What exact carbs are on the GS500 and what year models are you referring to that would fit my bike?

I will do some research and check prices to see if it's worth it but this def helps I would have never thought of this!

I can't remember the model numbers, but they are CV carbs similar to yours. The biggest difference is they are flat sides. Look for non-California models from 1989 to 2002. The CA models just have some separate emissions hook ups, and after 2002 the carbs changed a little bit. They should still be usable, but more complex than the first generation if carbs.

That is some cool stuff I will definitely give it a go thanks a lot Rich! Do you have an opinion on the floats I posted on my thread in GSResources? Thanks seriously...

I checked the links - and they are all broken. I don't know if it's a problem with my phone, or if it's the actual links you posted.

Just checked them out. I would cross reference your current carbs float part #'s to that list to get a better idea if they are compatible.

I did notice however, the GR650 carbs are on their list. I have some GR carbs along with some GS450 carbs sitting on a shelf at home. I can check them over the next couple days, and if they do work, I can sell you the GR floats cheaper than ebay.

Yeah I checked my part numbers but they don't match up which sucks. Mine are brass as of right now.

Could you sell me the GS450 floats? I don't think I would have a lot of luck with the GR carb stuff, thanks Rich!

I would.........but until I get different carbs for my 450 I don't want to sell off the current set. If you can wait a couple months I'd sell you complete 450 carbs.

Ah okay well thanks for the info man I'm not gonna toy around with those eBay floats I'll just buy some OEM ones!

This is my daily driver so I can't really wait but if I need some down the line I'll let you know thanks!

Back
Top Bottom