So... Jenn FINALLY has a build thread: '71 CB350

Hey whoa now.... this project thread is about to become longer than mine! Time for us to get back out to the garage;)

:D

Attachments

• IMG959446.jpg
    IMG959446.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 340
When I was planning soda blasting as my next step, I realized I'd overlooked some cutting that needed to be done on my frame... some extra bracing that had been welded on in a weird position. So I took care of that tonight.

20130703_151145.jpg

IMG_20130703_155013_9_-1.jpg

Then I smoothed everything out. I'm starting to get the hang of the grinder a lot more. I liked it before but it's beginning to feel more natural now.

IMG_20130704_021502_8_.jpg

IMG_20130704_021445_5_.jpg

Got the last few things stripped off the frame.

IMG_20130704_021508_9_.jpg

20130704_020245.jpg

NOW I'm ready to soda blast. :)

*Rain, rain, go away... Jenn wants to soda blast today.*

Good job Jenn, you must have had some good instruction on the grinder. Usually when I see a frame that someone has grinded on and it was their first time it looks like a beaver was chewin on it.

JohnGoFast said:
Good job Jenn, you must have had some good instruction on the grinder. Usually when I see a frame that someone has grinded on and it was their first time it looks like a beaver was chewin on it.
A little common sense and a lot of good learnin' by Mr. E. He's fantastic. I thought I was doing good until he asked if he could show me something... haha. I was being wayyyy too timid with the grinder and it was taking me forever. No more. I don't even notice the sparks anymore, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

*Note: there are areas on the frame that were already smoothed down too far so I left those alone and tried to just work the area around it as best I could.

JustinLonghorn said:
*hands Justin & Dennis a coupla IPA's*
Pull up a chair, fellas. The more, the merrier. :)

Awful lot of "fluff" left on there... fork lock assembly and mount, frame backbone ridge, tail section, swingarm capable instead of a nice lightweight weld on rigid conversion that won't "load up" in corners and try to squirt out from under you...

Actually, looks just fine and congrats on jumping right into it. Once it is clean, go over EVERY weld line with a magnifying glass, I'm finding a lot of "iffy" welds on a much newer chassis.

Pity those brace tubes came out. Unless a new pair are going in in a slightly different position :)

Do not remove the weld "ridges" unless you are a certified welder and really know what you are doing and you need a steering lock, so I'd call it a day, other than the inspection that Scruffy suggested.

teazer said:
Do not remove the weld "ridges" unless you are a certified welder and really know what you are doing and you need a steering lock, so I'd call it a day, other than the inspection that Scruffy suggested.

+1 Jenn Its really looking good.

teazer said:
Pity those brace tubes came out. Unless a new pair are going in in a slightly different position :)

I have all my frame welding done by a dual certified expert, FAA and US Coast Guard approved. I tack the stuff together, he does the rest. I know my limitations. I do need to get him to go over the welds on the 1998 chassis, the factory did a horrible job. Gaps, cracks, slag left on the beads that is starting to chip off...

Took a wire wheel to the frame tonight... Its looking all puuuurty. Obviously there's still some areas to get. I'll hit those with the soda blaster as soon as we get our air compressor problem resolved.

20130714_011009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom