Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box CL360 (Howakiha CL378)

You can get rimmed 45 rounds, I get 45ACP in rimmed for my S&W model 1950 6.5 Target

DSCF1605-Copy-1.jpg

20161004102021-1223.jpg

Tune-A-Fish© said:
You can get rimmed 45 rounds, I get 45ACP in rimmed for my S&W model 1950 6.5 Target

I'm pretty sure that for the right price he'd sell it to ya. Then you can plink away. It would be a heck of a squirrel gun. ;D

Twin 10/22 Gatling gun kit. Add the hires target cam and Bluetooth trigger motor, mount to fence post and eradicate squirrels from iPhone anywhere ::) ::)

romax_b.jpg

.45 Long Colt ought to eject from that Hotchkiss just fine as it is a rimmed round and (reasonably) equivalent length to a .410. Definitely worth investigating, even though .410 costs about 20% less than .45lc

coyote13 said:
.45 Long Colt ought to eject from that Hotchkiss just fine as it is a rimmed round and (reasonably) equivalent length to a .410. Definitely worth investigating, even though .410 costs about 20% less than .45lc

Not my issue, really. Bro lives on the other end of the country from me, is the guy who literally made the thing from scratch (except the barrels), and knows firearms far, far better than I ever will or want to.

Re: Shake the Box CL360 (HKY-378S)

We're heading south for the winter again, so this slow-moving project is grinding to a halt again. :( I always end up with mixed feelings on this: won't miss the wind, rain, snow, slush, ice, cold, dark, dreary, miserable Ohio winter (I know other places have more extreme winters, I've been there, but there's something about the winters in central Ohio; perhaps it's the constantly changing conditions) but I wish I could take the thing with me to keep working on it. For a while it looked like maybe I could take along wire, a board, and wiring diagram and put together a wiring harness over the winter, but that didn't work out. It'll be there waiting for me when I get back. At least I can take DTT with me.

Nice, now hurricane season is over 8)

crazypj said:
Nice, now hurricane season is over 8)

I like that area. It's a bit cooler and less humid this time of year than lots of Florida and the cost of living is pretty cheap there. The biggest thing for us, though, is the military bases. Being retired USAF it's beneficial to have a base of some kind nearby. Last year we got down there on 12/16 and on 12/18 I was in the ER at the Keesler AFB base hospital w/ a kidney stone. Got fast, professional care and NO BILL. We stay on a small Navy SeaBee base and Keesler is 10 miles down the road. And living a stones throw away from the Gulf is pretty nice, too. (Yeah, when it's not hurricane season.)

Safe travels my friend, the best to you and miss solo

I made a cardboard template a while back and my brother CNC cut this electrics tray out of aluminum for me. It's just a touch wide so I'll have to massage it a little but I think it's going to work great.

Nice... good to have peeps to help do fancy work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I know it's been a long time... way too long, that's for sure. I really debated just trashing this thread and starting over because when I looked through it I see there is a huge amount of trash and extemporaneous posts as well as a really SAD history of all the fits and starts, some disastrous and some, honestly, a bit embarrassing. However because of the whole stupid Photobucket thing (I now post to this sites gallery rather than using Photobucket links) and the amount of new uploading and messing around I'd have to do to start a new thread I decided to just leave this one in place, warts and all, posts from now long-banned previous members, and as long and potentially boring as it is and just carry on with it. I beg your indulgence and sincerely request your comments, criticism, and encouragement!.

Almost exactly two years since there's been a post to this thread... during that time life hit us with a few twists and turns and all of my collected bits n pieces and all of the main components sat in the shop just collecting dust. Some work on the beastie was accomplished, just not documented. My frame needed some welding and it's now with Hurco550, my good friend Levi, and I'll soon have it back and begin the final work to get it prepped and painted.

I acquired an old, and really ugly (!) tank from a GS1100G and cut out the filler fixture. The cap parts were in good condition but the lock cylinder had been drilled out. On one of our trips to Columbus I found a replacement cap unit with a key and managed to make one good cap out of the two. With that situation in hand I took a deep breath and took a cutting wheel to my CB500T tank and cut an opening for the Suzuki cap fixture to drop down into. Those parts are also awaiting Levi's skillful attention. I like the looks of a modern flat fuel fixture on a vintage tank/bike, but I also often ride with a magnetic tank bag in place so having a flush filler cap seems like a logical move to me. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment, I had already spent a substantial amount of time and effort getting the tank prepped for paint and it was pretty close to ready. Welding in the new cap is going to require more work. Oh well, I'm figuring it's going to be worth it.

I also ordered and got in a set of new Michelin tires and they have been mounted and balanced. They look great on my freshly painted wheels.

So, please join me as I attempt to finally get this pile of assorted bits and pieces slapped together into a workable example of motorcycledome... motorcyclehood... motorcycleness... yeah, whatever.

LOL, 2 years 2 days from last post. Did you wait an extra day?

crazypj said:
LOL, 2 years 2 days from last post. Did you wait an extra day?

Ha! Yeah, I did. I had it opened up last night and then decided to wait until I got my thoughts a little more organized. Also I waited until I had some pictures... after all the DTT crew likes pix, right?

I spent part of the last three days cleaning parts, squirting paint, and assembling. It sure feels good to get back into this thing and I'm very glad that I was relatively organized in keeping track of all the biits n pieces. There has been a whole bunch of "oh yeah, I remember that" going on.

The day before yesterday I finished up sanding the front fender and rear hugger fender. I took the primer through 400, 600, and 1000 grit wet n dry paper then got them good n clean and good n dry. The weather was excellent so I got the can to rattle and applied paint. Yesterday I assembled the front forks then bolted on the fender and the wheel.

1232-170519183420.jpeg

Today I cleaned and disassembled the brake calipers.

1232-170519183032.jpeg

Then I painted them with caliper paint and once they were dry I reassembled them with new brake pads and bolted it to the forks.

1232-170519183822.jpeg

I wasn't all that familiar with the Ninja brake calipers so I resorted to YouTube to figure out how to get the old pads out. A couple of the vids I came across showed the installation of a metal spacer called "Ben's Bracket" and one called Moo's Plate. Both are similar and seem to move the caliper around a bit lower on the disk. I've done a web search and don't find anything about them except the vids. Is there anybody here on DTT who's familiar with the EX500 Ninja and can tell me if there's some kind of problem w/ the Ninja front brake that necessitated this modification? There are a huge number of 500 Ninjas in use out there so I can't imagine there is anything seriously wrong with the original design but there must have been a reason for Ben and Moo to design the things.

Back
Top Bottom