www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Riding boots  (Read 2709 times)

Offline behrboy

Riding boots
« on: Jan 25, 2014, 14:33:17 »
Do you need to look for anything special when looking for boots to ride safely in?  Or is it more having your feet covered by something other than a piece of cloth?

Offline biker_reject

Re: Riding boots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2014, 14:25:22 »
A-R-M-O-R  ankle, heel, toe, shin.  Steel toed work boots are not riding boots.  :-)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 17:54:09 »
Yup.  And I prefer tall boots.  Keep your foot from flopping around when you crash.  Floppy feet = broken ankles and torn ligaments.  I crashed wearing my boots and am pretty sure my left ankle would have been badly banged up in anything else.

I wear these.  Super well ventilated.  My feet stay nice and cool but they're still warm enough for early spring and late fall riding.

"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2014, 21:21:14 »
May not need to be said, but boots without heels. The standard "motorcycle" boots are made for cruisers, and anything more than a centimeter or so will catch on your peg. Depending on the size of your feet, they may be too short to reach the shifter, or too long.
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline RoadRash

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2014, 12:02:15 »
I prefer tall boots, without laces. I've actually had laces snag on my pegs and I not know about it until I had to stop and put my foot down. Woulda been disasterous if I was able to shift weight fast enough to switch to my other foot. This happened twice. These were my work boots and on the way to work.
 I've always been partial toward motocross boots. No laces, plenty of shin and ankle protection. Unfortunately, with my rear sets, it seems like more ankle flexibility is needed than my Fox boots could provide. Switched back to work boots until I can fund a pair of engineer boots or something.

Offline mannydantyla

• dannix.net
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2014, 11:47:33 »
I bought a pair of these boots, they're made of good leather and the price was great. http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Boots/Xelement-Mens-Laced-Antique-Grey-Motorcycle-Boot/383518.html

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2014, 15:05:11 »
Are you a Victorian Woman?
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline PatmanBBE

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2014, 15:24:45 »
I wear these.  Super well ventilated.  My feet stay nice and cool but they're still warm enough for early spring and late fall riding.

I have been looking for riding boots for summer. What brand are these pictured above in your post?
1984 Yamaha FJ600
2001 Vstar 650 (sold)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)

Offline JWL1991

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2014, 15:11:48 »
I'm considering a pair of these. Does anyone know how tall they are? It doesn't say.

They are the Firstgear Kili Hi boot.

Offline Spitfire151

• My bike
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2014, 22:40:52 »
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-rodeo-boots

I'm interested in these because I'm bombing around in some boots I got at Kohl's and dual purpose them for work bc they double as acceptable footwear.  They do however lack any real protection and the soles are toast in a few months' wear.  However, the price tag for the Rodeos is a touch steep.  I could pickup a pair of Red Wings or Wolverine Montgomeries for that.  Thoughts?
80/81 KZ440 Cafe.  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39832.0

78 XS750 (minor restoration and sold).

65/66 CL77 305 Scrambler (bringing back to life and making a slight bobber).  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55726.0

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Riding boots
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2014, 23:29:50 »
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline biker_reject

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2014, 23:41:30 »
HA

I know!  I about did a spit-take.  Funniest smart ass comment ever in this entire forum.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:19:09 »
brain to keyboard buffer was disengaged
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline frankxedge

« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2014, 00:07:25 »
Are you a Victorian Woman?
So funny!
1974 Honda Cl450

Offline Ribo

• Twist the "go-go" side and hold on!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2014, 00:29:02 »
Let's not mock other's choice in weekend dress-up... to each their own.. ;)
---

I've had a pair of Daytona Roadstars for a longer than any other boots and they are still going strong - maybe more than 8 years now.. they still aren't that comfy to walk around in but on the bike they feel like they just belong and your feet become part of the bike.

What I look for in a boot is something that has ankle bone and heal protection cos shattering either is not so nice, toe sliders, shifter-area reinforcement, and a steal inlay in the sole to stop it bending in half. I also like to see this in a basic black-leather myself. I also have some SIDI's that I wore on my sports bikes back in the day. I save these for the very seldom track days now.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2014, 00:33:33 by Ribo »
Yamaha XJ650, '81 -- molested brat in transition.
Honda CBR RR900 '99 - sold to al qaeda
Honda CB750 '91 - eaten by shark
Triumph TT '01 - left in a taxi

If you can smell the skunk you can hit the skunk...