CB500K rearset idea

Honestly the pegs look low to the ground - one of the purposes of rear-set pegs is to improve cornering clearance, so they need to be higher than the stock pegs. Hard to tell how they compare - any idea in terms of ground clearance?

about 1 inch higher than stock, almost 9 further back? too much? I'm aiming for a comfortable riding position and not so much uber performance, I'm a whimp, not a peg grinder. I "think" once the seat is done and clip ons installed this will be good combo, if wrong, well, it's just a matter of making new plates and trying again.

An inch higher is fine - it looked almost lower in the pics - so you should be OK.

Otherwise my concern is leverage - stand on the pegs - do the mounts flex? They need to support your weight and then some.

yep, stood on and bounced, very solid, I'll keep on eye on them for fatigue cracks over time, I can see constant vibration and pressure causing cracks in the aluminum, but hopefully not

initial install done, needs a little tweaking but I think it's doable.
IMG_4989_zpsrcjcremw.jpg

IMG_4991_zps6acqziyk.jpg

IMG_4992_zpsnmocj4qs.jpg

IMG_4988_zps5frzmygi.jpg

Almost ready for first ride.
Managed to get the oem stop to work by using a longer bolt on the brake lever pinch, brake light switch works with a new wire, return spring was reinstalled after bending to new angle, seems to function nicely.
brakestop_zpsvnkvw1ze.jpg

rearsetlever_zpsrbqhu4jo.jpg

Someone has to stop this madness...

Rearsets are to tighten up the clearances and allow control when the rider is in the "tucked" position.. Step back a page or two and draw a V from tire contact point to desired/tire design lean angle... If your pegs are outside of the "V" your gonna need to do some design changes, the fact you have spacers between the peg and frame is already cause for concern, those pegs will fold if the rider needs to weight the outside on backside of a sweeper to force turn in, they need to be able to hold all of your weight on one peg and then some for those pesky bumps in the road also.

I understand this is a club bike build and will never be ridden on course, but I don't think you will got the performance you seek with this setup.

they are set out pretty wide be careful even a slower rider might need to manauver drastically in an accident avoid situation. not sure why you set them out wide anyway ?
on the shifter you need to rotate it back a spline to get its angle close to 90 like the one at the peg,probably gonna need to shorten the rod

Tune-A-Fish said:
Someone has to stop this madness...

Rearsets are to tighten up the clearances and allow control when the rider is in the "tucked" position.. Step back a page or two and draw a V from tire contact point to desired/tire design lean angle... If your pegs are outside of the "V" your gonna need to do some design changes, the fact you have spacers between the peg and frame is already cause for concern, those pegs will fold if the rider needs to weight the outside on backside of a sweeper to force turn in, they need to be able to hold all of your weight on one peg and then some for those pesky bumps in the road also.

I understand this is a club bike build and will never be ridden on course, but I don't think you will got the performance you seek with this setup.

dude, you need a hug

Yeah you might be right, a little rub N tug from my favorite spa might release some built up stress ;)

test ride just now, pegs feel perfect (at least ergonomically) function well, braking and shifting is spot on. I'm not sure I'll be able to tolerate the clip ons though, feels good everywhere except the hands, too much weight on 'em I guess. I can rather easily back it off a notch and try some super bike bars or something.
Yes, the pegs are out wide, partly because of how they're machined with threads only on the outer bit of their shaft and to shorten I'd have to cut some more threads on them, I had planned on doing that but on mock up I realized that my legs don't want to bend inward around the side covers to reach pegs that are mounted too inside, these are almost perfectly in line with stock pegs as per spacing, about 1" higher up and 9" further back, very happy with fitment and all that, they are quite strong too, I made sure they could hold all my weight and each one does. Might split the difference and move them inboard 1" see how they feel.
So I'm giving this set up a passing grade, the clip ons.....maybe not. Have to ride more first.

yep, is that an issue? My foot doesn't care, I try not to breathe though them. Seriously, I don't notice when riding. Seating position is really nice, foot pegs are in a great place, it's all perfect, except the weight on my palms from the super low clipons, if not for that it'd be perfect, trying to learn to live with and try various combos of positioning, getting better, love riding it, just freak'n love it

AMD500 said:
guess you don't ride in flip flops. ;)
tried sandals once years ago just to go 1/4 mile, that was as stupid as I got on that front, riding boots only after that!!!!!!

If you want a compromise between clip ons/clubman low bars and supervise bars check out The Dime City Cycles "cafe bars." They have the same style as clubmans but with only a 2" drop instead of the 4+ drop of clubmans or clip ons.

okay, will do, I have several bars in mind, I just really love the look and fit of the clip ons, I truly love the position, it just kills me, could be my pre-arthritic hands too though, I'm getting old

Clip ons really are pain in the ass...errr...wrist..... if you arnt going 50mph+. I put a set of honda CB400F bars on my Cb500. much lower than the stock bars, but also much more comfy than clip ons.

AMD500 said:
Clip ons really are pain in the ass...errr...wrist..... if you arnt going 50mph+. I put a set of honda CB400F bars on my Cb500. much lower than the stock bars, but also much more comfy than clip ons.

True dat! the faster I go the more comfortable I am, around town they suck!!!!
If I switch back to bars it changes the whole bike and could mean a whole different direction, which is fine. Could move to more of a tracker look or whatever, might have to if I can't get a decent level of comfort with the clip ons. I did build it to ride it after all, and more than 10 miles at a time! So far 80 miles is the longest trip and I was dying (my butt was fine), my palms were shot and most of this time was spent at 60+ mph.

Back
Top Bottom