WTB CB175 Carb Floats

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
Anyone have any laying around in good condition? I have some but mine have pin hole leaks. New Ebay ones are really expensive and ones from Asia take forever to ship. Let me know what you have before I go that route.

Thanks!

Greyson

Can you see the pinholes? I soldered one or two in my brass cl350 floats and it has worked well as a fix. They are soldered together from the factory so I assumed its a good method. Even if its not a permanent fix it should get you by until the your package gets in from the orient.

BarnBurner said:
Can you see the pinholes? I soldered one or two in my brass cl350 floats and it has worked well as a fix. They are soldered together from the factory so I assumed its a good method. Even if its not a permanent fix it should get you by until the your package gets in from the orient.

Yup I could do that. I can only find the pin hole on 1. Wouldn't that impact how it floats by altering the weight adding material? That's the reason I'm replacing because the liquid in the float makes the level inaccurate and spits gas everywhere.

According to my quick calculations a half ounce volume of gas weighs about 10 grams. That's probably a high estimate for the volume in your floats but you get the point. That's like a nickel in each of the float's two cylinders. Understandable then that they would be sinking a bit. The gas is also inside the float meaning that there is less air so the float is more dense and therefore less buoyant. The same weight on the outside would probably be bad since mass affects buoyancy as well but I assume a dab of solder (even though it contains lead) would weigh substantially less than whatever gas is in there and not really have that great of an impact on buoyancy. Plus, based on the craftsmanship of the 1970s Japanese bikes I've owned, I'm assuming someone is driving around with an extra dab of solder on their floats already ;D

Back
Top Bottom