Track Bike - kz550

No joy on landing the big prize yet, but I've picked up a few little pieces. :)

GPz fairing:

It's cracked at the bottom, but it can be fixed. No wind screen yet, but I have the rubber gasket that mounts between the fairing and screen.

Rear sets:

They're stockers off another "unknown" model. Brackets will have to be fabricated, but they'll work.

BIG shocks:

They're extras I have laying around. They're pretty heavy duty for a 550, but set on full soft...

We'll see. :D

canyoncarver said:
Those are ZRX shocks aren't they?

Ahhh... ya. ::)

They're probably gonna be a "tad" stiff, but the originals are totally baft. Until I come up with a better solution, they'll keep the fender off the rear tire. ;) ;D

cyclocrossfool said:
what size eye to-eye do you need? i have a pair of Koni 12 1/2" if there long enough

Man, that would be sweet, but I need 13.5" to 14" eye to eye. :eek:

I appreciate the offer! 8) Thank you Sir! :)

I suppose I really should post a request for what I need in the "Wanted" section. :)

Got my GPz. :D

It's pretty crusty, but it turns over and I think it's salvagable for my purposes. 8)

Engine, carbs and Kerker pipe. Cha-ching!! :D

Got the front end installed on the kz. :D

Wind screen in place and fairing repair underway. It'll be ready for paint later this week. :)

Hey Drewski... If you grind/drill up some scrap ABS and mix it with acetone it melts into an ABS glue mixture that both fills and glues those holes and cracks up nice.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Hey Drewski... If you grind/drill up some scrap ABS and mix it with acetone it melts into an ABS glue mixture that both fills and glues those holes and cracks up nice.

;) :D

My buddy spent a little time on the GPz engine to get it running before breaking the bike down. Cleaned the carbs (they were nas-ty!) plopped in a spare battery and she fired up right away. 8) Gotta like that! :D

So we'll put that on the shelf for now and concentrate on the kz engine. :)

Well, we're facing the first set-back for the 550. :p

Not a huge deal, but it's gonna prevent it from being finished for the first trackday of the season. :(

I'm swapping out the original mags for the 18" spoked aluminum rims. The front is done. Easy. The rear... not so easy. It's a h2 hub, so the axle is bigger. We'll use the 550 axle and get different bearings. Not too bad. The kicker is the sprocket. It's 10 teeth bigger! We need a custom sprocket... so... time and $$. :-\

I'll run the stock 550 mag wheel until the new sprocket is here. :(

bradj said:
I got a kaw rear disc hub with all the trimmings if ya want it

Thanks Brad, I have one too. I'm looking to just keep the drum rear brake because I already have that hub laced to an 18" aluminum rim that will do nicely on this bike. 8)

The drum brake on the rear is more than enough brake for me. :D

Well, I think we might have found a supplier for the sprocket without having to have one custom made. I like that! :D

As well, I'm now looking at acquiring my 3rd pipe!! :eek:

Got this one:

Kerker. It came complete with some holes in the header down at the collector. The metal is too thin to repair. Fortunately, the seller was super cool and refunded some dollars, no sweat. 8)

Still have this one:

Kerker. However, the mid-pipe has rotted away and needs to be replaced. Sheesh. :-\

Now I have a line on this one:

Yosh. Off a friends vintage race bike. Near perfect shape. :)

So, now I might have a choice to make. Kerker or Yoshimura. :D

The rest seems to be progressing as it should. Checking valves, tune-up, tires on order, tins out for a coat of the 'appropriate' paint and the seat goes under the knife as well. :D

bummer on that rusty kerker. That appears to be the "KR" race version; kinda rare, particularly for a 550.

doc_rot said:
bummer on that rusty kerker. That appears to be the "KR" race version; kinda rare, particularly for a 550.

Ya doc, I was pretty stoked to get it. I was horrified though to see the holes when we started to clean it up! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was really fortunate to be dealing with a "stand-up" used parts dealer in Wisconsin. He asked for pics and then instantly refunded the bulk of the dollars. 8) He didn't want any of it (mid-pipe or can) returned, so I'm keeping it all in the hope that somehow, someway, it can be fixed down the road. :D We'll see. ;)

how big are the holes? I have seen my buddy patch up some pretty bad holes in gas tanks with silicon bronze. It melts at a much lower temp so the steel doesn't melt. Its like brazing with tig, except you can be VERY precise. I've seen him use reading glasses before to act as a magnifying glass for the tiniest welds i have ever seen with this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom