Track Bike - kz550

doc_rot said:
how big are the holes? I have seen my buddy patch up some pretty bad holes in gas tanks with silicon bronze. It melts at a much lower temp so the steel doesn't melt. Its like brazing with tig, except you can be VERY precise. I've seen him use reading glasses before to act as a magnifying glass for the tiniest welds i have ever seen with this stuff.

Well, they're at least the size of the end of my pinkie finger. Could be bigger. :p I'm interested in repairs for sure. :) I'm gonna check with a few people and I trust we'll come up with something. :)

Thanks for the tip!! :D

Well, only a week and a half until track day #1 for 2015. We'd better get moving on this thing!! ???

Got the wheels, sprockets and chain on. Lookin' good! The Yosh pipe fits fine, no leaks. Not the best ground clearance but it'll do for the time being. ;) The engine starts, runs, doesn't leak and doesn't make any troubling noises. :D

By Saturday the seat will be finished and, along with the freshly painted tins, will be on the kz. The painted front fender will be mounted along with the new front tire. 8)

So, with a week to go, we need to finish the foot pegs and controls along with a few other details and we're ready for tech! Fortunately for me, the head of tech for this little 'outing' will give it a good going over before it leaves his shop! ;D 8)

Nearly there! 8)

Thanks for the encouragement boys. :D

Any of you who've been on the track know that ANY bike is a hoot to take for some laps! 8) I'm especially excited to have a 'dedicated' bike just for that purpose. It'll be fun to just relax and romp around out there for the day. There won't be any lap records set... not by me at least! ;D

There's going to be a few modified 500 Triples there too, so we're really interested to see how all the "500's" match up. ;) If we get half way decent weather, it'll be a great day! :)

I tried the WERA stuff many yrs ago....figured out I was not rich enough to do it very long..but it was loads of fun...I think I picked the wrong class....if memory serves me it was C-production (stock 600cc)....way too many Valentino Rossi wanna be racers...I would love to try Vintage racing gefore I get too old to be able to enjoy it physically..

1fasgsxr said:
I tried the WERA stuff many yrs ago....figured out I was not rich enough to do it very long..but it was loads of fun...I think I picked the wrong class....if memory serves me it was C-production (stock 600cc)....way too many Valentino Rossi wanna be racers...I would love to try Vintage racing gefore I get too old to be able to enjoy it physically..

Yup! Up here (in Canada, eh...) it's the VRRA. ;) Lots of serious racers doing the "vintage thing", but still many who just want to go as fast as they can comfortably go. 8) I would seriously love to give it a go, but I just can't sacrifice the time for it. I'll just have to settle for a couple of trackdays per season. I'm grateful to be able to do that much. :D

Got a few more pieces today!

Just a few more items to gather and assembly will be completed by Thursday. :D

First shakedown on Saturday at Toronto Motorsports Park, Cayuga, ON. 8)

Maritime said:
So How did the shakedown go?

This Saturday, May 10th. 5 more sleeps. ;D

Don't worry, I'll let you know. Provided I'm still in good enough shape to reach my computer. ::) :D

:eek:

Attachments

• trust.JPG
    trust.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,173
Haha! Fresh BT45's should do the trick as far as rubber goes. :D

jeffw said:
I loved my bt45's on my 650

Yup, agreed! I have 'em on my "Mongrel" as well. Stick like glue and wear like iron so far! :D

Well, we're getting closer! :D

Just a few details to finish/clean-up and we're off to the track on Saturday!! 8)

Drewski, these guys think Green zip ties are the gnat's ass. What they don't realize is that they were developed from that Kawasaki Green which instantly makes bikes faster and lighter. Great choice.

Back
Top Bottom