Hondazuki XLRM250 Trans-America Hell Ride

urethane would avoid any electrolysis with the fussy magnesium cover and would be easier to remove to clean and grease the clutch rod

irk miller said:
I can machine these up, but I'm also reproducing the stock version in a urethane rubber. So, there will be both options on the table. Aluminum looks good, especially with the ability to etch design, but the angle of the cover does not allow a perfect translation of the part, if that makes sense. I'll get a picture up this afternoon so you guys can see the aluminum part installed.

That was my plan of attack, but the urethane I had bought for the shock mount bushings froze over before I could get to it, and I haven't felt the need to buy a new supply for one plug.

You could probably sell the urethane ones on eBay, there seems to be a demand as the last NOS one I saw had 30+ bids and sold for $60.

cxman said:
urethane would avoid any electrolysis with the fussy magnesium cover and would be easier to remove to clean and grease the clutch rod

That could be a pain, can you coat the alloy with something to prevent the reaction I wonder?

Maritime said:
That could be a pain, can you coat the alloy with something to prevent the reaction I wonder?
What could be a pain? Coating of any sort takes up space, so you'd have to machine them smaller and lose tolerance. Urethane is the best solution here, for a stock fit. Plus, the same step in coating would be like the entire process to cast as far as production goes. I'll post up a pic of the aluminum version installed and guys can choose. I'll have urethane examples by Monday. I think an aluminum version with HRC like Tune suggested could be sweet.

The chemical welding of aluminum to magnesium could suck. No issues with urethane though. I was wondering if a never seize could be used on the aluminium versions but yes you would need to consider that with the machining and o-ring size.

Here we are installed. The gap is under 2mm from the face of the cover. It does allow for you to get a spudger tool under the cap to remove it for clutch adjusting...
6180c9f271f0e605c1ec77302eed0f27.jpg

d7862ccd5e78d6ac6597bdcd3c2dd94f.jpg

e198e762f313bb0c3d6c2d472729559a.jpg

053314e1b9eea4577cce6a88be55945e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

i will take either with thanks

but i think long term i would like the urethane ones and not have to worry about them sticking in there and having to pry the aluminum one out

and scratching my side cover

Started pulling good repops in shore 70a urethane. Might consider a red and blue option too.

5f88f95fe2a9e8d9f631d9f40ebf2ca1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom