ZRX1100 - Let's upgrade some stuff.

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
My 2000 ZR1100-C4, the ZRX. I bought it brand new back in 2001 after I moved out from a woman I couldn’t' live with and her two tiny dogs. I've ridden it stock for 15 years. It's my normal daily and sport touring ride. I take good care of it but it's time to tweak a few things. Photodump of progress so far follows:

Attachments

• cc_sport_tour.jpg
    cc_sport_tour.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 731
I got some goodies. New header and muffler, stage 2 jet kit, K&N filters, and a fork brace. All of it from Holeshot racing. Dale was cool to talk to and he's got a great rep over on ZRXOA. This pipe is soo much lighter than stock.

Attachments

• goodies.jpg
    goodies.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 696
I love this bike enough that last year I scored a 99% complete same year/color spare bike that I'm slowly tearing down. Notice the giant exhaust can and heavy stock headers. I've already had to weld them up once after a wet road trip. Time to go.

Attachments

• with_spare_bike.jpg
    with_spare_bike.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 699
On the lift and digging in. Getting the airbox out was a pain as expected.

Attachments

• onthelift2.jpg
    onthelift2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 683
  • onthelift1.jpg
    onthelift1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 671
  • onthelift0.jpg
    onthelift0.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 674
And since it's up there on the lift anyway, I'm doing the valve adjustments. I wasn't 100% sure on the shop I had do them the last time. From here on out, I'll do it so I picked up a 9.48mm shim kit from HotCams. About $80

Attachments

• 948_shimkit.jpg
    948_shimkit.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 655
Into the valve adjustments.

Attachments

• valves1.jpg
    valves1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 662
  • valves2.jpg
    valves2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 670
The rocker arms are spring loaded and slide laterally off the shim. No removing cams necessary. Nice.

Attachments

• valves3.jpg
    valves3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 661
  • valves3a.jpg
    valves3a.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 671
I'm glad I decided to do this myself. I had a number of them that were tight but not too far out of whack. The shim kit was awesome. I ended being a single 2.70mm shim short, even after swapping them around. Bobby J's Yamaha had it for $5.

A bit of scotch makes the job go smoother.

Attachments

• valves4.jpg
    valves4.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 662
And then there's the carbs and the jet kit. Stock mains were 95, the stage two kit comes with 128,130, and 132's. I live and ride above 5000' feet MSL so I went with the 128's .

Attachments

• jetting1.jpg
    jetting1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 630
Next was the adjustable needles. 3rd notch down from the top, washer under clip.

Attachments

• jetting3.jpg
    jetting3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,537
  • jetting2.jpg
    jetting2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 648
  • jetting4.jpg
    jetting4.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 646
Since I got rid of the emissions junk, I had to come up with some kind of mod for blocking off the air induction plates on the valve cover:

Attachments

• blockoffs2.jpg
    blockoffs2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 537
  • blockoffs1.jpg
    blockoffs1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 524
I got alot done today. Got most of it put back together, Dad helped me get the new pipe on. I got the carbs mounted, cables cleaned, lubed and adjusted. Cooling system is back together but I haven't filled it yet.

Attachments

• pipe_on.jpg
    pipe_on.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 539
  • coolingsystemon.jpg
    coolingsystemon.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 552
  • coolingsystemon2.jpg
    coolingsystemon2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 553
And off the lift and ready for the next step. I hope to get it started tomorrow afternoon and see how it runs.

Attachments

• off_the_lift.jpg
    off_the_lift.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 530
canyoncarver said:
I got some goodies. New header and muffler, stage 2 jet kit, K&N filters, and a fork brace. All of it from Holeshot racing. Dale was cool to talk to and he's got a great rep over on ZRXOA. This pipe is soo much lighter than stock.

No ignition plate?

Great thread, thanks for doing this! 8)

I'm slow because of other stuff but it's fun. Forgot this one. Got the fork brace on as well. This should really help. Damn this pic makes it look so dirty.

Attachments

• forkbrace.jpg
    forkbrace.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 456
Back
Top Bottom