Tips for welding with the HF 90 amp

DohcBikes

Fuck You.
Although welding is not my specialty, I weld a lot. A thread in the projects forum prompted me to give my humble advice on using the 90 amp Harbor Freight welder that many people end up buying for a first machine. I personally cannot recommend a better 110v flux cored welder at any price. Ive used Lincoln, Snapon, Miller, ESAB, and many other 110v welders and would still reach for the HF if given a choice. Maybe that partially stems from my personal view that if something cost 4x as much and doesnt perform at least twice as good, then its fuckin dumb to buy it. (Everything made by snapon). These are my opinions. Yours might be the same or it might be wrong. Ha.

These tips are in no particular order, and some are more important than others. This is meant as a guide to hopefully give you a better chance of having decent useable welds the first time you try. Read it from the bottom if you want, it says the same thing but with some faint satanic ramblings if you listen real close. Oh wait thats my Ozzy album.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 90 amp harbor freight welder is a good purchase either way. It actually has a 125amp max rating, and the rated 20% duty cycle is far below what it will actually handle. Also it is a DCEN current to the torch as opposed to AC. This is good.

I must preclude my suggestions for better welds with a stern 'you shouldn't learn on a bike'. Practice on some other shit. Like a quad, or a Dodge. Please.

Sleeve and plug weld all tube joints. Search the welding forums to learn what this means, and don't ever ever skip these steps. You are NOT a welder, so you need to add a level of safety, and sleeving and plug welding is the way to do it.

Fit your pieces correctly. There should be virtually no air gaps between properly fitted pieces. This means trial and error, or more math than I am willing to do, so often trial and error. An experienced welder can bend this rule, but an experienced welder is also less likely to have poorly fitted pieces in the first place.

Throw your harbor freight wire in the trash. Go buy some Lincoln wire from a place that sells a lot. The longer wire sits, the more moisture can attack it.

Clean the area to be welded to a point where you wonder 'can it be TOO clean? No, it can't. Neither can the piece of metal that your ground is attached to, which will by the way be located as close to the weld as possible so the current stays consistent.

Grind the ends of the pipe at an angle, so that when the two pieces meet, it creates a 'v' to weld into. And since you took my advice and sleeved the joint, this will allow enough penetration to reach the sleeve as well. If you did it right.

I used to have one of these. I added a ground clamp so that I could attach one to each side of the weld. I am not an electrical engineer but I can tell you it worked much better after that mod. I also replaced the puny little power cord with a much heavier gauge wire. The last thing i did was eliminate the low power circuit that was only good for bodywork then rewired the high power circuit to see less resistance by eliminating the switch.

Never kink the torch. It should be as untwisted as possible to allow the wire to feed consistently.

Do not use an extension cord with this welder, the performance will suffer greatly. Unless of course you have a very large gauge 110v ex. Cord, and most do not.

Get an auto dark mask from HF as well. They kick ass for the price, my latest one is an obvious upgrade over the last model. This tool is irreplaceable in respect to allowing hands free operation for the duration of your welding procedure.

If you want nice looking welds, you have to look into the weld puddle. This in my opinion is what separates good welders from bad. Its kinda like picking your head up before a golf shot, bad form. Yet many just look AT, not INTO, the puddle.

Never quench welds on mild steel with water. Let it cool on its own.

If you stop on the middle of a weld (try not to) you should clean the weld before beginning again. With experience this rule can be bent, but I don't recommend it.

Heating the area to be welded before you start welding will almost always benefit the final product.

Don't lead your wire too far out. Keep the tip of your torch close to the workpiece.

Fire is hot. Hot metal is hot. Hot stuff will burn you. Melted metal will burn into you. Melted metal will fall, and burn anything under it.

Cover any area on the bike you dont want burned with welding blankets or damp towels. Have a fire extinguisher handy. If this is not possible, at least do this:

Drill a small hole into the cap of a plastic liter pop bottle. Fill it with water. Squirt your buddy in the face with it to make sure it works. Put out fires with it.

Thats enough for now maybe i'll add more but im real lazy so probably not. There's more, but that'll confuse you enough to get lucky. Just like in the bedroom.

Feel free to add experienced info.

The difference in a HF, and a $500 Lincoln/Miller hobby welder is the feed rate. They both weld, and can be used. A consistent feed rate is worth it's weight in gold, to me anyways. Take a file, knock the splatter away, and be done, rather than with the cheaper ones, having to dress every single weld.

J-Rod10 said:
The difference in a HF, and a $500 Lincoln/Miller hobby welder is the feed rate. They both weld, and can be used. A consistent feed rate is worth it's weight in gold, to me anyways. Take a file, knock the splatter away, and be done, rather than with the cheaper ones, having to dress every single weld.
I never had a problem with consistent feed rate on mine. If you should encounter inconsistent feed, I would recommend exchanging it for a new one. In addition to that, if feed is your only complaint, there are many ways to improve the consistency on any welder, for a lot less than $4-500. Claiming that you will have to dress every single weld is a sweeping exaggeration, but whatever floats your boat. I'll assume you've owned one since this this thread is intended for those that do. If not, then i personally would have a hard time accepting your opinion regarding the machine. I really mean no offense but I have spent a lot of time with this particular model and know its capabilities very well.

I did expect some guys with expensive welders to come in and dog this welder. However, this is not a review of the welder, it is not a poll, and it is not a comparison thread. It is a WELDING TIPS thread for people that own this model. It is intended to give people some insight and confidence before they start welding with it. Your input is appreciated, but it really isnt applicable. If you are insistent on measuring the 'length of your torch' compared to this one, I would suggest to start a thread that pertains to that comparison.

I typed the original post on my phone, from scratch, to try to contribute something more than an argument on this site. Try to address the thread topic or I will simply delete it. Going off on how your $500 welder is the shiznit completely detracts from my originally intended message and info. No sweat off my balls, just trying to help.

Welding Tips? Anybody? Bueller?

Any of mine misleading, heinous, or plain wrong? Any of this seem helpful? Thats what this is about.

Not your choice of welders?, then move on. Please. Thank you.

Simply pointing out a fallacy in your post. No need to get your panties in a twist. I didn't dog the welder, I believe that I said it did what it was intended to, weld. It is misleading to goad people in to thinking the HF machine is even remotely on the same level as even the entry level Miller/Lincoln. For the majority of the people on here, a $100 welder and a $20 angle grinder with a flap disc from HF will do the job just fine.

Owned one? Yes. Own one now that I do considerably more welding? No.

Your tips, are good, however.

J-Rod10 said:
Simply pointing out a fallacy in your post. No need to get your panties in a twist. I didn't dog the welder, I believe that I said it did what it was intended to, weld. It is misleading to goad people in to thinking the HF machine is even remotely on the same level as even the entry level Miller/Lincoln. For the majority of the people on here, a $100 welder and a $20 angle grinder with a flap disc from HF will do the job just fine.

Owned one? Yes. Own one now that I do considerably more welding? No.

Your tips, are good, however.
This is not a review of the.welder. I couldnt care less which welder you buy. Although, you are wrong. It happens.

All good tips. For $100 (or down to $79 I've seen on sale) the HB 90 amp flux core MIG is a good starting place if you're welding small things, which is probably what most on this forum will be doing.

I've never had great success with flux core, but maybe it’s just me, I never invested a lot of time in it as I started by learning TIG and always had non flux welders available.

I have used two of the HB welders and did notice that they didn't feed smoothly, a lot of rate adjustment available, but adjusting rate or tension on the roller didn't seem to make supply any smoother.

Tip: Cleanliness is next to godliness; keep your shit clean, and grease free, including your welding tools.

As opposed to the guy who starts whining instantly when someone doesn't agree with his opinion.

Again, good tips.

JohnGoFast said:
All good tips. For $100 (or down to $79 I've seen on sale) the HB 90 amp flux core MIG is a good starting place if you're welding small things, which is probably what most on this forum will be doing.

I've never had great success with flux core, but maybe it’s just me, I never invested a lot of time in it as I started by learning TIG and always had non flux welders available.

I have used two of the HB welders and did notice that they didn't feed smoothly, a lot of rate adjustment available, but adjusting rate or tension on the roller didn't seem to make supply any smoother.

Tip: Cleanliness is next to godliness; keep your shit clean, and grease free, including your welding tools.
Thanks John! Now that a reasonably constructed opinion has been offered, i'll address the feed issue. Again.

I have heard of feed issues with these machines, but have never experienced the issue personally. However, many of the tips explained in the first post will curb the effects of inconsistent feed. In addition to that fact, there are ways to electronically improve the feed rate that do not cost much money.

The last thing id recommend to any first time welder that has not had access to any machine, is to spend 4-700 dollars on a 110v welder that may not use enough to justify the cost. If you get serious about your welding like ol' J-Rod here, chances are that you will quickly move to a 220v welder and that expensive welder will either A. Sit there lookin pretty, or B. Get sold at a huge loss.

Harbor Freight improves their welding products regularly based on feedback from their customers, so it is possible that the feed characteristics have improved.

It's a POS hot glue gun, I never owned one, but used one to weld a set of shackles for a friend and I know what you mean about cleaning, damn thing wouldn't bust through surface rust! "flux core" "IMO" is for welding outside or in the wind so to speak.... don't you need to wear a respirator and drink lots of milk. One in a hundred may perform in a production setting (Model A frame) I personally would not waste $100 and still have to buy a roll of L56. BUT for the newb gluing a hoop on the new CB350 and spark sputtering a seat pan together it's all the rage mang!!

As far as the welding tips go... not bad, I would give a shout out to all the weld instructors out there and say... go take a short weld course and get some good process skills maybe even some MIG and TIG process if you have the time and funds, it really is worth it. Buy a machine... HF whatever, but get a cart and get on the bottle man, argon/C25 is your friend and it's not expensive if you search CL and get a bottle from a fire sale.

Well I think it's a solid write up. And the fundamentals can be applied to any welder on the market too. One of the biggest things ppl in a hurry overlook is cleanliness of the material to be welded. So if any of you guys with hf coupons in hand and a dream of having a "bra-fe" seat for Saturday night take anything from the op, clean that shit! Preheating will also help to draw moisture and oil out of the metal too. Learn right the first time, and it sticks for a lifetime.

I've never owned an hf welder. So I cannot put a dog in that discussion except to say that people are usually to quick to blame the machine before their own experience. Not knocking trade welders here, just telling my own observation. But I will say that I've seen great work from machines considered sub par. And I've managed to work some magic as well, in the dirtiest situations you can find in an industrial factory. It really is about prep work and patience.

I have one. Bought it year before last, practiced on some old angle iron. Was pretty impressed. #1 I'm not welder, #2 Last I welded was late 60's in HS shop. With good rods (bought my own to avoid the crap Army surplus rods at school) I was the best welder in our class. Stick was all we had. #3 The beads that the HF did looked as good as my HS work within ten minutes of starting. #4 Using wire feed is a lot easier than stick. #5 Auto-dark helmets are the BOMB!!!

Your tips were spot-on for a beginner, but I'd like t emphasize 3; take a course, don't weld anything structural, and clean it again before you strike the arc.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using DO THE TON mobile app

My Miller 250 burns right through scaly rust if need be and will weld 1in beveled plate in one pass, welded 250lb hammer plate for an excavator never a crack in 15 years.

I bought a HF90 and it made nice chicken turds until I did exactly that... supper clean work and swapped out the ground clamp for brass, changed the free wire to 030 from 035 with an 040 tip so the feed could work and yep Wha La it welds sweet little 1/4" beads on flat bar and will burn a fellet together.

Then one day a craigslist add for a Lincoln 140 came up, brand new in the box for $250... I went and got it, pulled it out of the box, plugged her up to 120 and fed the wire on through, grabbed a chunk of greasy angle and what do ya know... it threw down a nice bead and dug in decent with no cleaning.

The Lincoln is in my shop on a sweet little cussum wagon cart and that HF went out in the garage sale... It did bring in the buyers so it was worth something LOL

Any Hot glue gun is better than asking the neighbor to weld a tab up tho, so go get you one and be happy.

:eek:

DOHC,
Do you use a straight slug or angle the ends to avoid the stress raisers at the step?

Duh.

Thanks Tune. That's what I thought, but forgot to check the date of the posts so I assumed he had been allowed back in. Pays to check. Let's pretend I never asked....

BTW, I have almost finished putting a new frame jig together because I have a few projects that require extensive frame modifications and I like frames to be straight. I normally use oxy but recently acquired a TIG that I need to learn how to use before I weld anything structurally important.

My neighbor a few doors down has a tig outfit. He took a course which he said taught him more than he would have learned on his own. He is very good. Did all my aluminum welding. Bugger moved up north seven hours away.

Back
Top Bottom