How to title in ar

bonez71

Ok guys well i had a 71 cl350 given too me as well as a motor and other odds and ends. My question is since i didnt buy anything i dont have a reciept so how do i go about getting a title for it? The guy wanted it out of his garage because his wife was nagging him too so he gave me the stuff as long as i hauled it off

Contact AR DMV and ask questions :)

There are title services and transferable registration schemes from VT etc, However some states will have nothing to do with that and will require an actual Title issued by a State. Some states have a time consuming , cost prohibitive court title bonding process. Some states don't care and will take toilet paper

I would start by getting a friend to "sell" it to you and get a notarized bill of sale through that transaction. Then go forward with the title. In Louisiana, the Justice of the peace can issue ownership in matters less than a certain value. I went that route, passed through the state police for a vin check then off to the DMV with the troopers form and the documentation that the JOP gave me. For about $35 I had a title in my hand within a week.

And yes I do realize that this doesn't help you in Arkansas. ;D

So is there a way to make sure i can get or get a title for it before i build it? Id hate to build it and have it taken away and get me in trouble.

"Obtain" a bill of sale for the motor and a separate bill of sale for the frame. At one time, a single seller could sell you both items, but now the DMVs are looking at this as a "complete" bike and refer you for a bonded title. So two bills of sale from two different sellers. Take both documents to the DMV. They don't have to be notorized or on official forms. Tell them you want to title & register an antique motorcycle. Should be no problem, unless your DMV is not familiar with the process. You will also need to assess the bike with the County Tax Assessor and obtain insurance before going to the DMV.
OR
You can do a bonded title which averages around $150.
Regards,
Rider

Rider52 said:
"Obtain" a bill of sale for the motor and a separate bill of sale for the frame. At one time, a single seller could sell you both items, but now the DMVs are looking at this as a "complete" bike and refer you for a bonded title. So two bills of sale from two different sellers. Take both documents to the DMV. They don't have to be notorized or on official forms. Tell them you want to title & register an antique motorcycle. Should be no problem, unless your DMV is not familiar with the process. You will also need to assess the bike with the County Tax Assessor and obtain insurance before going to the DMV.
OR
You can do a bonded title which averages around $150.
Regards,
Rider
+1

Also, in AZ you have the glorious option of going to a third party dmv instead of the real dmv. I found that most places down there just want your money and will do whatever they can with as little paperwork as possible. There are often transfer fees involved with this process but HEY THE BIKE WAS FREE!!

DO NOT EVER...EVER INVEST YOUR MONEY BUILDING A STREET BIKE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEAN TITLE FOR IT. EVER.

Got it started! I called and i went to the arkansas state police department to get the paper stating its not stolen. I have to find a rear tire and tube or rim/w tire on it and a seat to make it be assembled (doesent have to run just complete). Take a few pictures get the form and send both my bill of sales and the paper i got from the police department to the place in little rock and they will give me a paper to take to an insurance agency to pay the $100 or so to get it titled. So now no more worries i can buy the seat and some things to make it "complete" and not have to worry about it getting taken away! So excited! Here she is.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438638143427.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438638143427.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 336
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438638206964.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438638206964.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 331
Back
Top Bottom