issues after rejetting Carb on Ace 125

nicopotvin

New ACE rider from Belgium here!

As it is very difficult to keep the Ace stock, and running into some issues with difficulty starting, (cold starts are difficult, warm ones are easy), sputtering at certain revs, etc.. I started fitting my tuning parts.

First thing i did was fit a NGK iridium spark, which boosted startups, but i also bought the OOracing tuning kit, at first wanted to wait longer before i fitted it, but i couldn't help myself starting to Tune it up. ;) Thinking i have always tinkered with my 50cc mopeds when i was in my teens, i thought it would be an easy job.

So I started fitting the Ooracing tuning 303 kit, which consists of the CDI, blanking plate and the new jets. I didn't bothered with the 34T as i am mostly looking for a smooth run.

The CDI and blanking plate were all an easy fit. The rejetting was something new for me, and i think i may have done something wrong. :-[
followed this tutorial: http://thegoogleof.blogspot.be/2014/06/skyteam-ace-125-carb-rejet.html?m=1

After the installation i went for a quick ride, and it was a huge difference, smooth acceleration, no stuttering etc..

BUT i ran into some issues/questions:
  • The Ace looks like it is running on high Idle when at lights
  • The bike starts easy when completely cold, but is almost impossible to start when it is warm.. took me 15mins and almost ran out of battery/the kickstart wasn't a help either..

After reading some online, i presume it is bad idle and air/fuel mixture. And the Carberator needs adjusting.

ALSO during install, it looked like the main jet replacement was longer than the original and i couldn't fit it all the way in. I didn't applied much force, because i know everything in there is very brittle. And thought it was part of the new jets. But i could be very wrong off-course, and i just need to keep on screwing until it is all the way up to the hex screw..

Any tips/ suggestions on how to improve this would be appreciated..

Nico

You may find some help buried in my notes on rejetting here...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USvziYIyzfyxfZA1YYpQf9eP4djb0GLWbvWcmME88Gk/edit#gid=1

Cheers
Richard

Hi 2B,

Tnx for the link & info, lot's of interesting stuff in there... i have got some reading to do! ;-)

I will add my bike and modifications in the sheet as well.

I will let you know the outcome..

Just another quick thought.

Perhaps you don't have the float needle wire hooked over the tang? That causes all sorts of problems.

Have a look at my reply #2253 on this page....

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43357.msg767518#msg767518

If you haven't changed the air filter or exhaust system, then perhaps you should revert back to the standard jets and run through the pilot circuit tuning and main jet steps in the spreadsheet. Then make a decision on whether you need to change one or both of them.

I saw a post from someone else that had some muck in the petrol tap that caused strange issues that appeared to be carb related. Not sure how easy that is to take apart and work on.

2b said:
Just another quick thought.

Perhaps you don't have the float needle wire hooked over the tang? That causes all sorts of problems.

Have a look at my reply #2253 on this page....

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43357.msg767518#msg767518

If you haven't changed the air filter or exhaust system, then perhaps you should revert back to the standard jets and run through the pilot circuit tuning and main jet steps in the spreadsheet. Then make a decision on whether you need to change one or both of them.

I saw a post from someone else that had some muck in the petrol tap that caused strange issues that appeared to be carb related. Not sure how easy that is to take apart and work on.

i read the post about the needle. i will check next time when i take it apart. also all tubes coming from the tank.

a new exhaust from OOracing is already ready and fitted, but was way too loud. so i took it off again.

i will have a go this weekend

nico

Hi 2B,

Just a quick update on my findings after reading your excellent guide. Now I know how those things work. so a very warm thank you for that one.

First of all, i completely miss-installed the pilot Jet. The stock was also the 3-peice, and I fitted the OOracing one, in the middle part and screwed that one in.. Took everything out again and fitted the OOracing pilot jet one as a single piece as it should. Startups are back even with warm engines!

I do seem to have an issue with the main jet: The stock one was labeled 90D (although it might also be a B). and the OOracing one is also a 90. But i couldn't screw the OOracing one al the way in. it kept sticking out for a couple of mm's. (See my pics below) Also the OORacing one is thicker then the stock one. As i didn't want to mess those things up I refitted the stock one and decided to take it from there.
I will be replacing the main jet after i fit the new exhaust and when i have ran some more miles.

Took it out for a spin to warm everything up, was a little slow to warm up and almost had a collision thanks to a car without brake lights. (Note to self, next upgrade this weekend will be replacing all brake pads with EBC versions and finally fit my Pilot Street tires for more grip).

Took note of the current turn settings (3 for idle - 1,5 for Fuel) Idle was running very high, so i turned it a little lower, didn't fiddle with the FUEL screw at this time, as it seems to be running smooth now.

I will take the Ace out more in the following days to tune more, as it progresses.

Bonus tip: I created a fuel screw driver out of a mini appetizer fork, works perfectly 8)

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 454
  • IMG_4844.jpeg
    IMG_4844.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 517
  • IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 572
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 507
Good job. It took me ages to figure that stuff out so glad it helped you along. Keep us posted on progress and any thoughts on updating my notes.

Hi Guys

after my rear axle was destroyed and I ordered some things macigly the tune up kit 303 was in my Shopping cart. ;)

last week i rejettet my engine but because there was no Manual at all (and i dont know anything about motors) i really didnt know what to do....

and after reading everything here about rrejetting im quite unsure if i did it right

ayvycknt.jpg

These are the Jets i removed, the longer Jet is now much shorter is this OK?
or do i have to do it again

i dident try it out yet because i dont want do damege my ace again

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english

Cheers Mike

Oops
Long one is shorter and one piece. Really short one is the center one , main jet, and looks similar to what was taken out. Should be fine.. You may need to adjust the idle screw for really good idle. This is the hardest bit.
It is under the carb on the edge of the bowl.
You need a short tiny screwdriver to adjust. ( to make this easier , take a short bit off breather hose on carb or fuel hose or vacuum hose, 6 to 7 mm , and slip over head of screw. Stops screwdriver from slipping off screw. Turn idle up on warm running motor by a few hundred revs with the idle set screw on side of carb. Then adjust the screw under carb till revs drop in both directions. Set it in the middle of these two points. Return to normal idle. Leave bit of tube on screw. Won't harm anything. This will give the best tune . Hardest part is finding a little scewdriver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys

its me, again ;D

I was no able to get my motor to run smooth so i thout i did something wrong so i reopend the Carb to ask you again if i did it right$
with phots now.

thanks for your help

Attachments

• 311.JPG
    311.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 383
  • 312.JPG
    312.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 376
The top jet in photo should be just the be the new part. Not two bits??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you haven't already, have a read here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USvziYIyzfyxfZA1YYpQf9eP4djb0GLWbvWcmME88Gk/edit#gid=1

Unsure from your photos and description but...
"Not sure if the pilot in mine was standard when I got it, but it was a 3 piece construction. The OO racing pilot that I received was a 1 piece construction. The three piece unit needed to be discarded, I then screwed the one piece unit directly in to the carb."

Ok i orderd the kit für the standard Air Filter

and i only can fit this thing with the bigger one on the underside
if I`m right you got this jet?
jet-1-235723623670000000000.jpg

but is this Jet maybe just for upgraded airfilter (Pod filter)?
whats should i do now?
i just installed all the other things from the 303 tuning kit :-[

ace-kit2.jpg

Thanks for your help
Cheers Mike

OMFG ^^

I`m so dumb
mabye i hat one or two Beers to much as i installed the kit

i just had to remove the fat tiny part and put the pilot with a bit force in

Now i can go on :D
thanks so much for your help, you guys are awesome

Attachments

• IMG_8075.JPG
    IMG_8075.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_8072.JPG
    IMG_8072.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 335
Saturday's job is a rejet. Removing stock jets and replacing with 48 and 97.5.

Attachments

• 20170120_151004.jpg
    20170120_151004.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 20170120_151411.jpg
    20170120_151411.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 324
Rejetting stock Carb on Ace 125

OK, job done. 20 minutes including 5 to find tools. Too easy.

The fact that I'd already stripped the centre and was already running a pod filter made the job easier.

Removed fuel line and the choke mount and did not touch the throttle cable. Drained carbie, unbolted the double locks (10mm) on the carbie/manifold and tilted the carbie out to the RH side.

Three phillips screws drops the float bowl. Watch that the float pin doesn't fall out if you have the carbie on a horizontal plane. Also note 2b's warning regarding the retainer clip on the float valve.

Unscrew the two jets and replace. Reattach bowl, remount carbie on manifold, reattach choke mount. Put fuel line on, turn on fuel and start the bike.

2b's instructions are very good and worth the read 2 or 3 times before beginning and it will be OK and easy.

Two pics of the stock jets which I removed.

Attachments

• 20170121_135755.jpg
    20170121_135755.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 20170121_143641.jpg
    20170121_143641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 390
Hi everyone,

I have bought the 303 kit from ooracing and I'm trying to rejet my carb but when I put the 48 jet in my carb my fuel comes flowing out of the carb from two little pipes. Inwas stupid enough to use the piece from the old jet at first like 4CE did but now that I have undone that it still does this. What can i do to stop this?

Thank you in advance,
Victor

Back
Top Bottom