Finally something I can relate too!

Wee Todd

Coast to Coast
I guess I skipped over this thread :eek: I've been racing 14 yrs now, first a CB 550,then I moved on to a CB 350 and a second CB 350 (different class and rules).I recently pulled my EX 500 away from it's leaning position against the wall(5yrs) and raced it 4 weeks ago. The EX 500 was purchased race ready(F3 front and rear attached to frame) however I have burned a lot of midnight oil on the CB 350's, fiber glass fabrication, hand built exhausts ,rear sets, clip on's ,wheel lacing ,as well as fitting crank and cam driven total loss electronic ignitions sourced from different bikes(I'll build it before buying or paying someone to do it ::)) Dyno won't happen, until I can convince my love unit that it's more important than a white sandy beach in December(cha ching),so with that said, the head is coming off #2 350 for squish and more porting! One day I'll try to post pic's of my race lumps, but first I need fire wood for the shop-shack(200 sq ft, cable TV, and beater sound system, no beer fridge,,,,,just put it outside in the SNOW) .Looking forward to seeing new race projects on this thread..............

very cool ! i dont race a 350 but am building a kinda trick one in the adv/dual sport style
eventually ill post up some pics.have you heard of using a cb450 clutch basket and primary gear ?
i have an internet aquaintance in sweden, him and his pals race the 350's and it is something they clued me about.there are several advantages to doing it actually and it is a simple deal to lash it up

Never than seen this modification,,,,I have an open mind though please forward any info;D CB 350 clutch are pretty reliable, and I burn mine at the start of the race at about 8000 rpm(+-),,,and no problems, some tend to grab(neutral..now!!! I'm at the start :eek:) usually because the inner drive splines are notched. One problem that's over looked is the clearance between the mainshaft and the clutch basket bushing , if it's not right it will drag the mainshaft. Feel free to have you Swedish friends contact me,,,,

i have already done the mod to engine i am building,it is only the outer basket,pump arm and primary drive gear from a donor 450, you still use all the the 350 clutch parts/plates center hub and pressure plate the 450 basket has to be trimmed for the shorter stack of plates,and a simple spacer washer put behind it it will be in the range of 3-4mm thick in order to get the assembly and inner hub out to the circlip with minimal sideplay measure and set at .005"
the advantages are about 10% higher primary drive ratio(lower numerically) this is spinning the inpuit shaft 10% faster than stock per any given rpm
this of course requires a change g final drive gearing but the trans ratios are effectively closer together steps,the clutch and trans are under LESS load (increased rpm drops the load) and the final advantage is more oil volume as the pump is sped up by 10% and the eccentric at the pump arm is a few mm larger in diameter hence more durable
the pump arm needs a slight jog bend about equal offset to one thickess of the arm,to meet the pump at centerline no biggee
here is a shot of mine cases showing the trimmed 450 basket and 450 priimary gear

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 460
redwillissuperman said:
That is cool XB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks, i am but a copycat in this case ;) ill see how it goes a bonus for me is the larger rear sprocket mandated will give a bit more room for the top chain run on my 350 with the slightly dropped swingarm ,longer travel rear suspension and a wider selection of sprockets for the barnes hub

a while back i scored some parts at a yardsale they turned out to be the rsc(racing service club) from japan kit hop up parts for the cb350 the bikes they were modifying back then ,were designated the CYB350 the kit was extensive i actually only scored some engine bits in the form of 2 sets of beautiful ,cast ,slipper skirt hi comp 2 ring 66mm pistons
a wildly radical cam mind you this was new still black with the coating i ferget what thats called but absolutely crazy duration and overlap on this cam no low idle for these moters !!
the final bit was a new lightened crank almost 5lbs lighter than stock lightened and polished and chromed rods the whole thing polished and chromed a work of art !
anyway long story short i sold the parts to robert at kar design in sweden who races 350's builds and races boats and is building an exact cyb replica.i just heard that a vintage honda outfit or club i guess over in sweden or wherever is doing a deal to show the cyb in a magazine .anyway here is a youtube of a cyb build
somewhere i have some images of those sweet kit parts and ill post that candy when i get a chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDEsacVvt7s

I now know what to look at doing to my CB400f race bike. Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom