1976 GMC Motorhome

A little more progress made lately.
I got the black tank repaired and installed a few days ago.
Got the last of the 12V wiring done in the battery compartment.
Went with a lot of marine stuff intended for boats.
Got a Morningstar 25A solar controller, a Blue Sea ACR (combiner), a battery cutoff switch and a distribution block to clean up the wiring.

From the distribution block the 4 wires run to: Generator, inverter, converter/DC panel, and input from solar.

We are going to start with 215ah of battery (2 6v duracell gc2's) and see where that takes us. I have room for 2 more in the propane/battery compartment and could also fit 2 more int eh generator compartment if needed.

Once the batteries were in I had to weld an extension to the exhaust for the EV6010

Got it installed and she cranked right up after I lowered the rear of the coach (pretty low on fuel at the moment). It's pretty loud inside the coach, but there's no insulation or anything yet so I'm hopeful that it will tone down once it's all finished up. I'l definitely be adding insulation to the gen compartment to try and tone it down a bit. I still need to extend the exhaust out from below the coach past the rear bumper.

Next up is insulation. So as soon as I get a free day I'll be experimenting with this spray foam stuff and will report back with how it works.

JustinLonghorn said:

Using something like this?

I looked at those for my basement, it would end up costing me 2x as much as hiring it out but in your situation it should be cheaper. I think for less than 500 Sq feet the DYI kits are better, after that the pros get the foam cheaper and cost less.

Exactly.
Got a 600bdft kit that will hopefully cover it.
The price is just stupid.
I got a few estimates to have it done and it was over 1000, so I'll.be doing it myself.

Spray Foam is waaaaay overpriced, was looking to do the house but the price was just ridiculous
You'll get it done in a jiffy with that kit

Yeah,
I cant quite figure out how they manage to get away with the prices. I paid 582 dollars for a kit that would not even insulate a room in a home.
It's not like its overly complex or expensive to make, the biggest expense is the tanks it comes in, and I'll admit that they aren't cheap.
But from a commercial standpoint, you're buying chemicals in a 55 gallon drum and the spray setup is minimal.
Seems to me they would get more business and make more money if they just lowered the prices to be a bit more competitive with traditional insulation.

I guess in the end it's like anything else, charge as much as you can get away with, especially when you have the superior product.

dont kid yourself, its not that superior, its just sold that way
No one ever mentions the long term off gas on spray foam

Nevermind this stuff, get back to making this happen
AND are you still doing seat hoops??

It's pretty superior, seals all gaps as opposed to the majority of gaps, makes a pretty big difference.
As for off gassing, who knows?

And no go on the hoops, between work and this beast I have zero time.

Must be the market, I can get foam done here in my basement, which I hope to do this fall for just a little more than I can buy the bats and do it the old fashion way, big benefit to foam is no vapor barrier needed and it fills nooks and crannies better etc. But I wouldn't be using it if it was priced higher.
\
also in your case Justin the foam will add some rigidity to the RV walls and can be sprayed and stuck to the doors and stuff around your compartments to sound proof as well as insulate.

Kamn said:
dont kid yourself, its not that superior, its just sold that way
No one ever mentions the long term off gas on spray foam

Exactly. A friend built a new home with pro installed foam and the off gassing made his kids very sick, headaches, nose bleeds. He spent 10's of thousands having the foam removed and still couldn't live in it. Ended up selling at a huge loss. I can't imagine how bad it could be in a sealed motor home.

Maritime said:
Must be the market, I can get foam done here in my basement, which I hope to do this fall for just a little more than I can buy the bats and do it the old fashion way, big benefit to foam is no vapor barrier needed and it fills nooks and crannies better etc. But I wouldn't be using it if it was priced higher.
\
also in your case Justin the foam will add some rigidity to the RV walls and can be sprayed and stuck to the doors and stuff around your compartments to sound proof as well as insulate.

Exactly, that's the big advantage and the main reason I am going with the foam in this instance. The walls are 1/8" aluminum, so the foam will adhere and add a lot of rigidity, making for less road noise, less movement of joints etc.

And as for off gassing, it really depends on the type of foam, all foam off gases for a period of time, some of it for a few hours, some for a few days, some for years so you need to research the product being applied so it is the right one for your application. The stuff the contractor here uses is done off gassing 100% in 24 hours, guaranteed and its right in the MSDS for it. I am sensitive to odors and I went and saw a job they had done 2 days before and there was 0 odor, they also run a huge ventilator while spraying basements to keep the gases out of the rest of the house.

Well if you guys never hear from me again, it's likely because my respirator failed and I passed out and died spraying foam in the enclosed space ;D

SONIC. said:
Well if you guys never hear from me again, it's likely because my respirator failed and I passed out and died spraying foam in the enclosed space ;D
Or you're really fucking high. In which case, can I come over and help?

SONIC. said:
Can I have the 400F? :p

Back
Top Bottom