1976 GMC Motorhome

This is the basic color scheme we've decided on.
I'll add vinyl stripes later on I haven't fully decided on that yet.

GMC-color.jpg

Too much haha.
It's a funny story actually, I was searching everywhere to find a decent painter around here for a reasonable cost. I sold my 69 GMC truck to fund the paint.
One of the guys that came to look at the truck came down from Indianapolis. He didn't buy the truck but we got to talking and he owns a huge body shop and buys these old trucks to restore and flip. He has a paint booth big enough as well as enough dry storage to keep it in good shape during the 2-3 weeks it takes to paint it. We worked out a deal for him to paint it, that's why I'm taking it to indy instead of staying local.

Locally everyone quoted me between 15-25K to paint it. Which just flat out isn't going to happen.
This guy's quote is much more reasonable at 5500-8500 depending on how much stuff they have to remove and repair.

Still a chunk of change but much more in line with reality I think and they do great work I've seen some of the other stuff they have done.

Tim,
Actually the Stripes paint job was what we were originally going to do, but after playing with it in photoshop a bit we decided on the inversion of the stripes job. Green on top white on bottom. For some reason we just liked the look.

Here's the side by side of the basic layout without the upper stripes
GMC-color.jpg

GMC-color2.jpg

I do plan to put in some machine guns and armor at a yet to be determined date

I didn't realise just how big that thing is. Did the original models really have bath rubs in them?! Amazing.

Barto,
Yep some of them had rear baths with a sitting tub like that in there. It's a tiny tub but it's there haha (the one irk posted I don't think is a GMC I haven't seen one with a full size tub before). Those models sacrifice a lot of more usable space in favor of the big bathroom. At 26' long it's really pretty small but done correctly you can make it feel big. Everyone that walks in mine goes "whoa it doesn't look this big from the outside".

Should paint it like a phone booth and call it the TARDIS hahah

HAHAHA
AWESOME

Somehow I'm not sure Kathleen would appreciate those, but I'll run them by her and see 8)

Thats hurts my feeling. (the singular one that I have)

Tomorrow is the big drive to Indy. fingers crossed.

Made it!
Had one little vapor lock episode but hit the switch for the external fuel pump and that cleared right up.

I think it was the windiest day in history. The thing drives great at 70 when its calm, but throw in an intermittent 30mph crosswind and it gets "entertaining" to say the least. Every bridge crossing tried to kill me, as did every break in the trees.the semis were all over the road too but it still was not fun. Next time I have to drive in those kind of winds I'll be driving to the nearest gas station, buying a 12 pack and proceeding directly to the nearest state park for the remainder of the wind hahah.

Back
Top Bottom