Custom GPZ550 (ZX550A and KZ550H)

Kamn said:
Who did you get the 520 kit from if you dont mind me asking??
A dutch site (http://www.mlmparts.com/nl/kawasaki/alle-bouwjaren/gpz-550-onderdelen.html).
Was only about €110 or so. Equal to about 125$
I wouldn't know where to find one in the US, kinda more searching around in Belgium :)

If you are searching for a kit on you GPz550:
The ZX550 A series use a 520 chain, while the KZ550 H series use a 530 chain.
If you wish to use a 520 on your H-series GPz, just order everything from the A series. They have the same amount of links, and you can mount the sprockets on both series.

japstar,
How did you modify the fork tubes to lower them? I have a pr. of forks that i want to use on my small Honda build only they are 10cm too long..

grcamna5 said:
japstar,
How did you modify the fork tubes to lower them? I have a pr. of forks that i want to use on my small Honda build only they are 10cm too long..
I followed this guide: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45166
This guide is made for a cartridge fork, but is applicable to the classis damper rod forks.
I got to mention, my set of forks didn't have a stock preload spacer, but they did have a dual rate spring. (a shorter, less strong spring on top of the main spring). I replaced that spring with PVC piping of the same length, to get the same starting point as in the guide. (The small spring is mainly for comfort on road bikes, so no big deal if you remove that). The preload spacer that is hacked up are the blue pieces of piping in my pictures of the front fork progress.
It is very important to place the hacked of part of the preload spacer under the damper rod, otherwise you could end up with a damper rod that doesn't have any contact with a spring when you reach your rebound limit of the forks. (when doing a wheelie for example)

But I have to say, following that guide, you lower your fork travel by the amount you lower your forks. So I think lowering 10 cm will be too much, as most road bikes have a stock travel of around 16 cm.

If you don't have a dual rate spring, you could shorten your spring, but than you'll end up with a higher spring rate. A higher spring rate is most of the time wanted if you want less comfort and more performance, as the compromise between comfort and traction leans toward comfort with most road bikes. (as a guide: if you half the lentgh of a spring, its spring rate will double)

Some clarification:
2uqn11w.jpg

n° 5 is the small dual rate spring
I replaced that with a piece of blue pvc water tube (machined to my likings on the lathe).
From that point on, I could split that pvc tube into two parts, and using the smaller part between the damper rod (n° 4) and bottom out spring (n° 7).

Front fork of a double disc suzuki GS550E btw

Oh yeah guys, just wanted to share this.
If the bike is finished, (= ready for street use) I'll be making my own mufflers. One for each side of the bike.
Planning on doing that with a wooden 'mandrell', bending the sheet metal around that, and start welding.
Already made the mandrell a long time ago, but I delayed the project because I need the bike for school and for budget reasons. (first plan was to get the bike ready at the end of last spring break :eek: )
2a0hyrq.jpg

And the photoshop mockup:
t6cl7k.jpg

Project is looking good, have not hooped my rear yet and I like the idea of a slide on cowl or seat for the GF when she rides with me. Wish I had a lathe and mill, makes me miss the old days of High School metal shop.

steveinwa said:
Project is looking good, have not hooped my rear yet and I like the idea of a slide on cowl or seat for the GF when she rides with me. Wish I had a lathe and mill, makes me miss the old days of High School metal shop.
Thanks! :)

Well, I'm still wishing for a mill too, gotta be very usefull when doing custom work.
And also my idea behind it, to take the GF for a ride.

Powdercoating is done 8)
f20wli.jpg

Ow yeah, and what is a normal price for good 14 mm pistonpen circlips?
I see them online for 1,5-2$ each. Is that the right price or should I look for cheaper bulk buys?

Buying stock oem circlips is a good purchase,they're good quality and will stay good after being heated-up many times.
The 'trick' is to make sure you only give minimum bend on them when you install them,never leave one to where it spins inside,tight is best.

I replace a lot of hard to find hardware when broken/worn with stuff from http://www.mcmaster.com

Also great for buying stainless nuts and bolts in bulk.

adventurco said:
I replace a lot of hard to find hardware when broken/worn with stuff from http://www.mcmaster.com

Also great for buying stainless nuts and bolts in bulk.
Looks like a nice site :)
Too bad it is in the USA, I'll have to be on the lookout for a similar site around Belgium :)
But thanks anyway for the help

grcamna5 said:
Buying stock oem circlips is a good purchase,they're good quality and will stay good after being heated-up many times.
The 'trick' is to make sure you only give minimum bend on them when you install them,never leave one to where it spins inside,tight is best.
Guess I'll be buying some stock ones than :)

Did a bit of assembling today to get a small break from studying.

Horn (happy that the original horn cleaned up so well :)
24np6s1.jpg

vr61ow.jpg

rear light
246t1mr.jpg

Foot peg mounts (went with original setup, nice seating position and under my center of gravity when riding :) )
As you can see, the company that powdercoated made a mistake and coated the inside of the swingarm with primer where the bearings must be mounted.
Does anyway have a quick tip to remove the powerd coating inside the swingarm?
I ordered some sanding flap wheels of aliexpress, or would that be too coarse and ruin the fitting dimensions for the bearing?
k9vugy.jpg

The place where I had to mill out a broken stud in the cylinder head is welded up.
Next up is shaping the bulk of weld, drilling and tapping to place a new stud.
2psexk5.jpg

Just a very small update.
Taped up my wiring harness today with textile tape.
2r6i155.jpg

And picture of the frequency adjustable blinker relay. About 10$ for a set of 10 on aliexpress 8) Installed them on my daily too, so far so good.
14licy.jpg

adventurco said:
Cool, you can adjust the flashing frequency? Neat feature.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-2-Pin-Adjustable-Frequency-LED-Flasher-Relay-Turn-Signal-Indicator-For-Motorcycle-Motorbike-fix-Blinker/32578815610.html

Its this product, if orgot i only paid 1 dollar. I do'nt know if they made a mistake or not, but I recieved 10 for that price :D always free shipping BTW Even if you only buy for 1 dollar. How they do it? Don't ask me

Parts arriving :)
gasket set, oil filter, new oil seals for the swing arm and rear linkage, and new piston circlips.
Can't wait till the exams are finished to start assembling ;D

Attachments

• WP_20160615_18_09_36_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20160615_18_09_36_Pro_LI.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 376
Painted some engine parts today (cilinder, cilinder head, valve cover, oil lines)
Gotta let it dry for 7 days, than bake them in a few steps.
I'll be grinding off the paint on the side of the cooling fins of the head, as it was originally.

Had some assembling done the last few days, I'll be taking a picture tommorow ;)
znr8m9.jpg

67i1sk.jpg

10s6pok.jpg

2psr8fr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom