Ace 50 oil cooler

As i have an Ace 50 i have to flog it to keep up with traffic,and am worried about oil temp. Has anyone fitted an oil cooler and what fitting/cover would i need .

Hi Paul,

OO Rracing in the UK have a heap of different coolers, so maybe ask them what you need for the 50.

Attachments

• oil_cooler_2.jpg
    oil_cooler_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 427
  • oil_cooler_3.jpg
    oil_cooler_3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 499
How do you keep up with traffic with 50 cc's? Even with flogging it cant do much more than 50 kph?
And with that low power output i cant imagine engine overheating would be an issue..

The 50 has rear sprocket from a 125 ,37 tooth i think . It will sit just over 60 kms when it wants in 4th , no wind etc..It will pull 60kms in 3rd as it seems to rev about 3 or 4oo more RPM . Has previously been timed at 39.4 mph . Whole of engine is very hot to touch .

Can let you borrow digital thermometer if you want to work out just how hot it gets Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asian concepts is a great mini cooler... Look for pitbike parts and you can find performance parts galore

KSR001.jpg

Still worried about my 50cc with a 70cc kit getting hot , contact with OO Racing finds they dont make an oil filter side plate ,tried good oil ,fitted a cooling " heatsink " onto the cam cover . This i can lay my finger against whilst riding . Added some cooling duct in front of the engine . STILL HOT .

Now im in the workshop making sr500 cooling fins , google them . 50 × 3mm aluminium @ 170 mm long , thats over 2 mtr of cooling fins .
40 c here christmas day in adelaide
70cc kit ,37 rear 14 front sprocket 56 mph .

I have an oil cap with mechanical temperature gauge built in to display actual oil temp and you can run it when it's in so is quite useful to gauge just what temperature your running at.

Have you checked to see what the effective running team of your oil etc is also. I'd be surprised if it's overheating though the temperature of your location is just slightly (ok I'm being sarcastic) warmer than my location.

Allaster

Paul in adelaide said:
sr500 cooling fins …

They look great!

Without wanting to be the grinch, they don't appear to have much area in intimate contact with the existing fins and could even shroud the motor from cooling air.

Interested in seeing how it works out.

Crazy

I have not seen a set , only internet photos ,and they appear to be massproduced with each fin identical . I am hand making and hand fitting each fin for maximum contact . I am using a profile / contour gauge for my patterns . When i fit them after a trial i can use a heat conducting paste at contact points
I have my original 50cc head mounted on a wooden base to work with .

If you ever read " one good run , the legend of burt monroe " ,he once spent 3 months cutting and modifying a triumph crank . When finished it ran like shit so he put it on the shelf and started something else . Time will tell with mine, if theydont achieve what we want maybe i'll just take them with me to events and clip them on for wow factor .
Speaking of wow factor mine is the ex suus bike withthe blue frame , i went into a store and a guy comes up and tells me he just has taken photos of my bike because his good friend has ducati's .

Paul , you could always add an oil tank. Old idea but would work better than an oil cooler

Hi Paul , to disassemble wiring plugs , jaycar should sell a pin push, a tube that slides over wiring pins and depresses locking tab.

Progress made , individually made fins for hopefully maximum contact for heat dissipation .
All by hand , drill , hacksaw and file .

Attachments

• 20170101_124118.jpg
    20170101_124118.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 293
Progress , 50mm by 3mm alum. each fin 170 long . 1300 of extra fin .overhang front and back is about 20mm extra Its a push fit to get on so hopefully contact to dissipate heat . 3mm fins don't fill the head fin spacing , the round spacer are head fin spacing size , so hopefully i will have airflow over the original fins .
The next side will be interesting , as it's much more exposed around the spark plug , but i am aiming at the same size/style but time will tell when i have to clearance around the plug and lead .

Attachments

• 20170101_123929.jpg
    20170101_123929.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 320
Paul in adelaide said:
hopefully contact to dissipate heat …

You have been busy!

It will be easy enough to tell if they're working.

To test the oil-cooler on my 'Ace' I took the bike for a hard run then put a hand on the inlet then the outlet hose. Scientific!

Crazy

Back
Top Bottom