www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: '72 CL175 engine trouble?  (Read 3209 times)

Offline echo

Re: '72 CL175 engine trouble?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 03, 2018, 20:10:51 »
While waiting for the pistons to come I pulled the side covers off the cases and replaced the oil seals and gaskets. For each seal  I drilled a tiny hole in the side and put a wood screw in just slightly, making sure of course not to go too far in or go anywhere near the seal interface.  Then I could pull on the screw and pull it out.  The big drive seal was intimidating and I was worried I was not going to be able to pull it but it turned out to be the easiest one!  Just put a pry bar on the head of the screw and leveraged against the end of the shaft.  I drove in the seals with a socket a bit smaller in diameter than the seal.   The old seals were flush with the surface of the case but the new ones I drove in slightly beyond flush.  Should they be driven in until they bottom out? 

Offline echo

« Reply #61 on: Jan 05, 2018, 00:25:45 »
I flipped the motor upside down and rested the case on a paint can to do some cleaning. Nothing fancy but it kept the stress off the studs.  The whole underside had the brown grime coating.  Got the majority of it off and it's looking much better.  Not as good maybe as you guys with your solvent tanks and yer media blasters (I'm working my way up to that, right now it's all elbow grease).   ::)

Offline echo

« Reply #62 on: Jan 09, 2018, 13:49:39 »
Super excited the new pistons came in and the jugs are headed to the shop today for overboring and honing!  The moment of truth is coming for this rebuild.  I was wondering if anyone can offer info on what to expect from compression right off the bat and the how can I expect it to rise as the rings seat?

Offline echo

« Reply #63 on: Feb 06, 2018, 16:50:24 »
My cylinders are back from the shop after being bored 0.5 mm oversized.  Can I use a standard head gasket or do I need something else?  I see some oversized 3mm offered for sale.

Offline medicalmechanica

« Reply #64 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:58:13 »
For what it's worth, I just had my 175 bored 50 over and used the same head gasket, and it seems to be fine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline Pete12

« Reply #65 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:45:30 »
My cylinders are back from the shop after being bored 0.5 mm oversized.  Can I use a standard head gasket or do I need something else?  I see some oversized 3mm offered for sale.

Standard head gasket will be fine, you're only .010" bigger on radius.
Most importantly, make sure the bores are perfectly clean before you assemble the top end. Scrub them with hot water and detergent repeatedly and then wipe them through with a white cloth and some ATF or similar coloured oil. Any residual grime will show up on the rag, keep scrubbing until you have none, then oil them up ready for reassembly.

Offline echo

« Reply #66 on: Feb 17, 2018, 20:06:22 »
Put it back together last 2 nights and fired it up this morning.  Seems to be running fine after a float height correction.  I was thrilled to hear that.  I'll take it through the paces for a proper break in and report back any issues.  Thanks to the guys posting and helping me with this, especially a shout out to teazer. 

Offline echo

« Reply #67 on: Feb 17, 2018, 20:20:23 »
 :)

Offline Luugo86

• '73 CB350, '78 XS650 Cafe Killer
    • ToadStool Cycle Co.
« Reply #68 on: Feb 17, 2018, 22:27:16 »
Two nice looking bikes man.
Live to Die, Die to Live