XS750 to XS896 big bore

But why not spin on filter when going to such trouble?

Got one of these for the CB
$_1.JPG

Hi Tune-A
The spin on works well on the CB as the filter sticks out the front almost horizontal. The XS oil filter unfortunately sticks down almost vertically and the spin-on filters appear to be a lot longer than the original.The spin on would be easier but just don't think it is practical. Thanks for the head's up.
The sandwich plate is almost finished now, just needs an O ring to seal on the adapter socket.
Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• CB750.jpg
    CB750.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 248
The first road bike I bought was in China, when we were living there for a couple of years - more of a curio than anything. The Chang CJ750 was made from the original BMW blue prints - I think the Chinese were still using blue prints around 2005 when I bought it brand new from the factory. Got it back to Australia and I did ride it for a while, but the lack of reliability got too much in the end so it was sold. Some of the money funded the first XS750. Before we left China I did buy a few spares for the Chang and one part was a complete chrome headlight. I found it the other day and I am going to fit it to the XS896 with a Koso Multi function instrument. It will need new mounting brackets, as it is a long headlight!
Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• CJ750.jpg
    CJ750.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Head light.jpg
    Head light.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Headlight 1.jpg
    Headlight 1.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Headlight 2.jpg
    Headlight 2.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 258
Rolling, rolling, rolling on Saturday. Spent a few hours with the English Wheel starting to make the front fender. Probably spent about 3 hours and have a few more before I get it to match the front wheel diameter.
Cheers
Tim

Finally finished the oil cooler sandwich plate, by cutting an O ring groove where the adapter socket fits through to prevent any bleed through.

Then some more rolling -getting close. But I have learnt that if you try to speed up the process by applying more pressure only causes more problems. Slow and steady is the only option.
Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• Fender 2.jpg
    Fender 2.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Fender 1.jpg
    Fender 1.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Sandwich Plate 4.jpg
    Sandwich Plate 4.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Sandwich Plate 3.jpg
    Sandwich Plate 3.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Sandwich Plate 2.jpg
    Sandwich Plate 2.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Sandwich Plate.jpg
    Sandwich Plate.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 228
Impressive work with the english wheel there! You've picked that up quickly! What is your process? You do any sand bag beating or edge shrinking first?

In the end I did not get a shrinker, so it has all been on the wheel. It would probably be quicker if I did use a hammer and bag plus the shrinker. The radius is not quite tight enough yet but another hour I should be there. I have only used 2 different curved wheels to get it done.
Cheers
Tim

awesome work
the grinder and that centers fixture rig is a handy lashup, im a bit jelly over you got a lotta stickout on the boring for that close oring groove she give ;less chatter shortened up a bunch but you know that
you must be testing us 8)
when you are up against work hardened aluminum sheet, you can anneal it easilly with acetalyne flame
first blacken the metal in the desire areas to anneal,black black as fook with pure yellow flame no oxy
then go and with the torch flame nice and nuetral ,normal oxyweld flame ,pretty gently and evenly heat the black area well back 4-6'' or so ,off the hot cone flame, just keep evenly heating till the black burns off ,it burns off like magic,let it aircool , end result should be way more workable
i didn't make it up its an old panel beaters trick probably the aircraft boys figgured that one out
it works i have used the method with success

Thanks for the advice. Must admit I was a bit lazy with the boring set. I had to clear the clamps, but I could have shortened it up a bit. The biggest error was the cutting angle being too aggressive. 20/20 hind sight ;D
I am in two minds about annealing it - I like the tough springy work hardened condition in the fender to make it more resilient in use. Probably should have annealed it earlier and then finished up with the hard final fender. Thanks for the process, will try it earlier on the rear fender.
Cheers
Tim

1.6mm 5005 H34.
H34 is apparently half max hardness. After all the forming it has work hardened considerably.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Did not get much done on the bike as the Snapper are in. Rough shitty weather but we still managed to get out at 5.00am in the rain and 20 knot wind to land a couple of fish ;D. This was the biggest at 72cm and 5.5Kg.
Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• Snapper 20161023.jpg
    Snapper 20161023.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 992
Nice Snappy! other than that weather I would love to be catching some of this falls bounty... Blackened Snapper N corn balls!

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Nice Snappy! other than that weather I would love to be catching some of this falls bounty... Blackened Snapper N corn balls!
Tuna - any chance of getting your "Blackened Snapper & Corn balls" recipe? We got 15 meals out of this one and it is looking like a great season. Would love to give some Cajun a go.
Cheers
Tim

Its been a long time! Too many distractions with fishing and summer holidays.
Great Snapper season this year and then summer holidays with the family. Great weather at the beach. Amazing how quick everyone can get out of the surf when a 3m shark came in for a closer look!!! :p
No luxury on the holiday, just camping in the caravan - refer photo. The photo of the beach was taken from the bar at the local pub ;D, doing it tough.
Have done a little on the bike, laminated up the seat cushion.The cushion is made up of 3 different densities of foam. The top white, is low density, just fluff to make sure the trim fills out! The dark grey is a high density to support the occupant. The blue is very high density to catch you if you bottom out the grey. Then I will take it to work and get out trimmers to finish it off. Work in the automotive industry, if you look at the interiors on the Tesla model S and model X you can see some of our work, the seats are our design! Not bad for down under ;D!!
I need to assemble the bike next and sort out how to route the exhaust system. Hope to chip away at it now, only problem is that I am off to Shanghai for 10 day with work :mad:
Hope we all have a great year.
Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• Wye river camp.jpg
    Wye river camp.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Wye River.jpg
    Wye River.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 229
  • Seat cushion.jpg
    Seat cushion.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 224
Mate, not the worst distractions I can think of! Piss off with your lovely beach photos ;D We have been hovering around zero and feeling the bite of the wind here in the north. My folks live on the Gold Coast and send me pics like yours of them at the beach. JEALOUS! Nice work o the Tesla trim as well!

Live it up and get what you can get done bit by bit :)

Back
Top Bottom