XS750 to XS896 big bore

Ryan Stecken said:
Hey data!
I´ll be down that road too sooner or later on my build. is there a way that you cover changing the bearings in your XS thread?

cheers!
Next week i will be changing swing and wheel bearings! Can put it up in my build thread, or make a new one?

datadavid said:
Next week i will be changing swing and wheel bearings! Can put it up in my build thread, or make a new one?
Hey man!

Totally up to you thanks!

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

It has been a looooooong time !!!!!!!!
Sorry about that. I am at the point where I really need to reassemble the bike so I can fit everything together and make up the exhaust. Did a little bit today on the rear fender. I have left it long at this point, until the final fittout, and possibly until the roadworthy!! In the photo from the rear you can see that I still need to do a little work to get the profile even. I am very happy with the way it is setting up with the rear loop, as it is creating grab handles. The intended light is a new spare from an Yamaha IT, should go with the scrambler theme.

Attachments

• Guard quarter.jpg
    Guard quarter.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Guard rear.jpg
    Guard rear.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 461
  • Guard side.jpg
    Guard side.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Guard top.jpg
    Guard top.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 205
I had to have the fork stanchion refurbished. I thought it was just a rechrome, but it turned out that the stanchions were slightly bent. Guess the PO must of had a DNF with his speedway at some stage!!!!!
I have just put them together without fitting the new seals. Springs are only a couple of mm short of the nominal length, so no need to replace at this point. When I bought the bike there were no front calipers, once again Ebay provided. The final assembly with oil and seals will be when I have put the bike together completely including paint.

Attachments

• Forks.jpg
    Forks.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 484
Completed a little bit more today.
Mounted the tank, with the back mounting point raised a little to get the bottom of the tank parallel with the frame.
Tack welded in a back mount for the seat and fender. The intent for mounting the seat is to hook it in at the front and then hold it in with 2 screws at the back mount.
Also tuned the fender profile to be more symmetrical, not fully satisfied yet.

Attachments

• DSCF1858.jpg
    DSCF1858.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 595
  • DSCF1857.jpg
    DSCF1857.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF1860.jpg
    DSCF1860.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 203
Mounted the seat last night.
Made up 2 plastic bobbins to go up the front of the seat. The OD bears on the frame to locate it laterally. The step down creates a lip so that when you push it forward the bobbin locks under the piece of flat welded across the frame and locates it longitudinally. The seat is finally locked in position by 2 M6 screws at the back on the fender mount. Hope the photos give a clearer explanation.

Attachments

• 20170703_200547.jpg
    20170703_200547.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 200
  • 20170703_200535.jpg
    20170703_200535.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 193
Started to assemble the bike so I can work out the details before painting.
I made up some nylon bushes instead of fitting the new steering head bearings at this point.
Also made up some adjustable struts instead of buying new shocks at this point. Currently they are set at 340mm between centres. I am planning to get 360mm shocks to lift the rear. 340mm is what they should sag too, once the motor is in and I am on it.
The first obvious issue once the wheels were fitted is that the rear guard is way too long. If I have the rear light mounted starting from the loop as per the photo then it looks much better. You can see the proposed cut line (blue) marker line.
The front guard, I am thinking about mounting it high like most dirt bikes. Any thoughts about high or low mounting? Sorry missed taking a photo today = I will try to take one tomorrow.
Happy with the handle bars ;D
Hope to get the engine in tomorrow, then I have to sort out the headlight mount.
Biggest problem is that the shed is full, and the 896 only just fits beside the 750. It has to be wheeled out to work on! First world problem!!!!!

Attachments

• Shed.jpg
    Shed.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 646
  • Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Strut.jpg
    Strut.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 628
  • Bushes.jpg
    Bushes.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 599
Did not get the engine in today. The engine is not finished as I have to install the pistons and gaskets. I know it will be marginal, but I would be happier with the engine absolutely correct before I start welding up the headers.
Spent some time today working out the location of the headlight. As it is set up there is a good view of the speedo. The head light is dominating the aesthetic of the bike and I am not in love with it - any thoughts?
Also put the front guard up high which I think will work, once again - any thoughts?

Attachments

• Bike 2.jpg
    Bike 2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Speedo.jpg
    Speedo.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 573
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 582
Great looking headlight, but perhaps for another bike!

Something much smaller front-to-back would look better.

Bit hard to judge on the guard without the mass of the motor in place.

Crazy

That headlight was the first thing I noticed. That and the high mudguard combo. It looks killer!

Love the high front fender but perhaps you might want a fork brace (the forks might be a little willowy without the low front fender to brace it?
The headlamp is too cool (what is it from, anyway?), but as others have opined, a bit big for the style of bike. Maybe something like a Preston Petty style headlight / number plate to really give it an off road look?
I know you're going to do this already, so just a reminder to check the full travel of the rear wheel, to see if it will hit the flat alloy sheet you're using for the forward section of the back fender.
Neat build.
Pat

Theres something really off with the fender up there.. cant really say what it is, high fender would be cool, but it looks weird, maybe some rails as someone said?

For me the radius of the front fender is too big, I like the position just think it looks too big, Try lowering the head light a little. I spend hours doing mock ups, usually ending with beer and more mock ups!

The head light is from a Chang CJ750 which is actually made from the BMW M72 blue prints, perfect for that bike - and in those days they were blue prints!!!
Might be time to try the other extreme, like the Suzuki PE, always liked the look of the PE's!! Which is similar to the Preston Pretty that was suggested.
I do have a XS front guard which I might try. I really need to get the engine in with the headers and oil cooler so I can confirm clearances. the rear guard needs trimming to get a better perspective of the overall appearance.

Attachments

• PE400T_1980.jpg
    PE400T_1980.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 443
  • CJ750.JPG
    CJ750.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 194
The Yamaha IT400 1978, same year as the XS750 special doner bike, has a head light and number plate which look very doable.
I can't help wondering why dirt bikes of that vintage had such punchy engines yet the brakes were absolute crap.

Attachments

• IT400f.jpg
    IT400f.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IT400.jpg
    IT400.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 185
Back
Top Bottom