Ding on cylinder wall---Worry or Not???

davidricci

Dear Crew,

The PO tried to un-seize my '68 CB450 and the corner of the flat head screwdriver made a small ding on the cylinder wall. In your opinion... should I worry or not. Planning on a light hone and new rings. No ridges or rust lines, it was a soft seize.

Thanks -David

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 327
If it catches on your finger it most likely needs to be addressed. You can try a hone and see if it comes out but if you hone too far you'll end up out of spec.

Hi AdvCo,

I can feel it with a fingernail. My thought is that oil may stay trapped there and burn when it fires.

What size is it? (2mmx2mm?) You need to make sure there isn't any material higher than the surrounding surface, round oilstone to check then hone it with flex hone. It won't be perfect but is unlikely to cause major oil burning as it's closer to BDC. You will need to fit a good engine breather system, reed valve or automotive PCV (it's a good mod on any engine)

I had a pretty serious score on the cylinder wall of the FA50 scooter I've got. I ended up lightly dressing it with a file and honing it. It runs just fine.

I'm not saying it's the right way about it, but the bike will likely run alright if you dress it and put it back together. If it's a keeper you're better off fixing it the right way, though.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

It's not the right way period. But... this a cost and effect issue with these builds that are low in budget and high in expectations, it is low low so if the rest specs you can chance it and while riding maybe keep an eye out for a replacement jug and get it prepped for a rainy day :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom