CB360 engine rebuild

BEAM

Hello,

I am doing my first engine rebuild (20K current miles). I bought the bike several years ago as a non-runner, cleaned the carbs and it fired right up. Drove it down my street and it backfired some (previous owner worked on the timing, so that may have been the culprit). Anyway, immediately started tearing it down and got to a rolling chassis plus engine still on and it sat like that for a couple years. Just watched Saturday's Wrench on youtube and its reignited my fire for this build. Completely tore the bike down to bare frame last weekend and began on the engine.

My goals:
rebuild at least the top end
sand/paint all of the engine so it looks pretty
good performance but not a road racer
if an original part is ok I would like to use that

I've ordered a complete gaskit kit, engine oil seal kit, allen bolt kit and I plan on ordering a new cam chain and tensioner as I don't really know much about this bike. It does have the two marks on the vin number on the block though. I enjoy working with my hands and I want to do as much of the engine stuff as I can, unfortunately I don't have a trained eye.

I have the top end disassembled and I noticed some things with the camshaft and corresponding rocker arms, looked off to me. What do you guys think?? I've talked to a shop and they said they would need the parts to assess it, which I totally understand. Just thought I would post it here and see what you guys think. The arms in question are the exhaust side rockers and cam shaft positions that correspond with those arms. The other side looks totally fine and brand new (to me anyway)

Also it looks like one of the cylinder's gaskets was not performing its duty on the cylinder head as its all black and soot is around it. Once I can get that head off I'll make another post about the pistons and cylinders. I plan to do all the measuring myself and stuff but as I stated before, my eyes are untrained.

Attachments

• IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4077.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 201
Looks to be a little pitting on the rocker arm bumper surface and on that one cam lobe. How do the journals look on the head itself (where the cam rides) underneath the cam shaft? Any scoring you can feel with your fingernail is cause for concern.

There are a few oil mods you can do to improve oil flow to the top end, search around the forum and specifically crazypj's 360 thread.

I haven't taken the arms out yet, I will do that tonight and post pics.

I'll look into the crazypj posts, seems to be a lot of mods you can do on these engines?

I completely disassembled the head. The side bearings look fine but there is a groove cut in the middle, is that normal?? Also I took a pic looking in the crank case thru the cam chain hole. Is that little piece at the top broken?? As stated above, I am going to have the camshaft and rockers sent off to be grinded. Here are pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4148.JPG
    IMG_4148.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4150.JPG
    IMG_4150.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4151.JPG
    IMG_4151.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4152.JPG
    IMG_4152.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4154.JPG
    IMG_4154.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 183
The channel is normal but that journal looks pretty rough... how deep are those scratches? It may be worth looking for a new top end rather than sending the camshaft out to be built up and ground. I'll let someone else weigh in here.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom