CB750 part out or restore?

Ranger1

Hi guys im looking for some opinions. I picked this 1978 CB750 up a little while ago and its sat for a few months while i finished my CL350 which as soon as i sell i can start on the 750. But im not sure if the 750 is going to be too much work.

It sat outside for about 3 years before i got it, and needs a new ignition. It rolls over but the oil down the engine is scaring me. I was guessing a blown head gasket which isnt a big problem, but i cant find a break in the head gasket. What else could it be? Or maybe i just cant find where the head gasket is broken.

I dont want to pull the pistons out of the cylinder so with that in mind if i do decide to take the top end apart what all should i replace? Im thinking gaskets, timing chain and wheels, and probably an upgraded cam. Anything im missing?

If this wont cost me to much to get the engine running then this will be my cafe racer project.
10d01bb6d2dbdbf58434b5cd9f8273d8.jpg
24e758ace9e19171ee906eed8c4d829b.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If it still rolls over you are ahead of the game. Many of these are stuck which makes life more difficult.

Leaking head gaskets on these is not atypical and they are easy to replace. While you are at it there are six rubber "pucks" that cover six head bolts that will be under the cam towers. These are a source of leaks as often or more than the head gasket itself so need to be replaced and sealed with a non-hardening compound for best chances against future leaks.

Replacing the cam roller/slider is a good idea. The cam chain will need to be broken and a new one with rivet link installed unless you want to split the cases, but that opens a whole different can of worms.

f you intend to keep the bike get a frame kit so you can do top end work without pulling the motor.

Back
Top Bottom