Cant get the cylinder off the engine

sosedoff

Hi all,
Any suggestion on how to remove the cylinder block off the engine (KZ400)?
I've tried pretty much everything i could: banged on with a rubber mallet, heated, scraped
some of the gasket with a small blade, shaked it vigorously, pried from the side. No luck. Pistons are not stuck at all, engine turns over freely.
All the bolts are out too.

Answering my own question:
i poured plenty of PB Blaster into the cylinder block mount holes, waited about an hour and then used a pry bar wrapped in a rag
to pry off the cylinder off the case. Definitely easier than trying to muscle it.

Your method seems very brutal :) What did you use as a leverage point for the pry bar? Did you breake off any fins? I usually spray WD40 into cylinder studs or some gasket remover, use pieces of wood as a wedge. sometimes there are special points where you can pry the cylinder with a large screw driver.

For future users who might stumble on this thread best not to use a pry bar. There are no good pry points on the kz400 and you'll more than likely break some fins or damage cylinder base or lower block. The aluminum is more brittle than you realize. They added pry points to the later kz400 and 440 cylinder bases (maybe 78-79? Or later) my tried and true method is to spray the thing down with your favorite penetrating oil and then beat a block of wood with a sledge into the reinforced point of the fins, alternating sides. Last one took maybe 50 whacks... takes patience.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Lots of guys fill the cylinder with gas and light it up. The burning fuel will expand the cylinder wall and piston at different rates making them pull apart. Its far less destructive than hitting things with a big hammer and wood block or prying with a steel bar.

slikwilli420 said:
Lots of guys fill the cylinder with gas and light it up. The burning fuel will expand the cylinder wall and piston at different rates making them pull apart. Its far less destructive than hitting things with a big hammer and wood block or prying with a steel bar.

Really?!?! I'd love to see that.

slikwilli420 said:

This is to unsieze a piston, the OP says it wasn't seized. Just a stuck gasket.
As stated gently whacks with a mallet and a piece of wood usually work best, although I have pried several apart when that failed. That does usually result in dinged up aluminum.

Also i wouldn't use gas, it goes boom. Use something that burns but doesn't explode. ATF works

SONIC. said:

tumblr_ojlchuSv9y1uyfszco1_500.gif

diggerdanh said:
Really?!?! I'd love to see that.

95f602bb503763e39fd09ef241f3c437.jpg

I used ATF and acetone and let it soak for a week. Then I lit it on fire and kept pouring kero in.

Yes I did free the engine. Took a bloody long time though. So there is the picture you wanted to see

Brodie said:
So there is the picture you wanted to see

Awesome!

I'll have to remember that.

I can see doing that with acetone, ATF, kerosene. Don't think I would try it with gasoline.

diggerdanh said:
Awesome!

I'll have to remember that.

I can see doing that with acetone, ATF, kerosene. Don't think I would try it with gasoline.

Can I do you do this without removing the engine or gas tank from the frame and to do this, it would quicken things up?

Back
Top Bottom