CB125S - Throttle Cable Issues

mikes_ca

Hey guys,

I picked up this little CB125S this winter, and have been going through correcting the few small issues it's had.

The bike revs significantly when the handlebars are turned to the right. Based on my research so far, it's a throttle cable routing issue. I've tried several different routes so far, and none have fixed the issue. Any suggestions? Could the cable be too long or short now due to the lower handlebars?

Thanks,

Mike

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 188
That cable looks routed way wrong. If the cable wasn't shortened when the lower bars went on, then you'll run into an issue there. It's possible to route a cable to take up some slack, but it really should be shortened. Throttle should usually run along the left side of the frame and loop across the headlight to the throttle assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

route the cable in front of the fork leg. On right lock it is bending the cable too tightly and that is causing the revs to go up. Cables should always be routed with the widest radius bends allowable by the front end ergonomics.

Thanks guys. I've now got it routed through the front fork, over the tank mount, and it is better. Rideable now at least. I'll play with the routing a bit more, but I'm thinking the cable may be too long.

Mike

mikes_ca said:
Thanks guys. I've now got it routed through the front fork, over the tank mount, and it is better. Rideable now at least. I'll play with the routing a bit more, but I'm thinking the cable may be too long.

Mike

It likely is. Shortening is fairly simple but it can be a bit of a process. It may be worth your while to order a custom cable from MotionPro.

Route the cable on the other side of the neck. Also make sure there is enough slack in the cable - you should be able to twist the throttle 2 or 3mm before it starts to pull the cable.

Thanks for the help guys. I finally got it figured out yesterday, a combination of routing the cable around the other side of the neck, giving the cable more slack at the grip, and adjusting the idle with the throttle stop screw.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom