www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)  (Read 2345 times)

Offline rsjudka

Re: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)
« Reply #30 on: Jun 02, 2017, 23:07:27 »

So I pulled off the cylinder head cover hoping it got caught somewhere in there, but still couldn't find the adjustment screw and nut. The thing is I don't really see any damage to the engine (besides the valve cover) so is it possible the PO just forgot to put back the screw? I also tried sticking a magnetic pickup tool but still didn't find it.

I'm also not sure I have enough time with school and work etc to pull apart the whole engine. If the screw is someone in there, would pulling off the left and right covers possibly get me to it quicker?

Also is it possible that the screw is just stuck to the very strong magnet near the oil drain plug (assuming there is one)?

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #31 on: Jun 02, 2017, 23:39:03 »
Very doubtful the PO forgot to put the screw back in.  There is a screw and lock nut.  Most likely, it wasn't torqued well and vibrated out of its threads, fell down through the cam chain opening and into the sump.  Only way to the sump is through the side covers, but no clear path to every nook and cranny of the sump through the side covers.  You can only hope it's accessible without separating the case. 

Offline Sonreir™

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #32 on: Jun 05, 2017, 12:55:41 »
And if you do have to separate the cases, the best way it to flip the engine upside down and just remove the bottom case. All the confusing parts should stay inside the top. :P
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #33 on: Jun 18, 2017, 21:39:33 »
Hey everyone I'm back again with some bad news. I've been stuck on this bike since when I was doing the oil change on of the bolts broke off and now the bolt minus the head is stuck in the engine. Thankfully my dad helped me get it out and all that's left to do is rethread the hole.

When I was tightening the bolts that attach the engine to the frame (they look like little triangles and have clips for the wires) I heard what I think was a snap from inside the engine. Now I'm freaking out as this doesn't sound good. But it just may also have been some other part on the bike that make a noise, I have no idea what to think anymore.

Anyway, when I was rolling my bike into the garage for the night i started hearing a tick when the bike would roll through one full rotation. Could something have broken inside the engine just by me tightening those frame bolts?

PS I found the tapper screw and nut, got them out with a magnetic pickup tool  8)

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #34 on: Jun 18, 2017, 22:50:55 »
Good news you were able to fish the tappet screw and nut out.   :)

No, I dont believe you can break anything "inside" the engine by simply tightening frame bolts.  Unless you somehow cracked the aluminum head cover (engine mount) the bolt is through.

Employ the fastener torque chart in the workshop manual I gave you.  Higher # is for dry fitting fasteners, lower # if you use any type of lubrication on fasteners.  I recommend using lube, whatever kind suits you.  I prefer teflon thread sealant.  Some use locktight, others use anti-seize.

Check to make sure drive chain has proper slack.

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2017, 22:53:07 by trek97 »

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #35 on: Jun 19, 2017, 01:05:36 »
So I looked everywhere for the torque values for the header cover bolts but I couldn't find anything. Not even in the manual.

How do I check to make sure the drive chain has proper slack?

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #36 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:54:39 »

Engine hanger bolt, (Go by appropriate bolt size.)

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #37 on: Jun 19, 2017, 10:11:29 »
I should really start using the manual you sent me I've been using this really torn up old manual but it doesn't seem as detailed as the PDF.

Thanks for the info, hopefully this bike will be working soon, I want to ride so bad

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #38 on: Jun 19, 2017, 11:38:08 »
I should really start using the manual you sent me I've been using this really torn up old manual but it doesn't seem as detailed as the PDF.

Thanks for the info, hopefully this bike will be working soon, I want to ride so bad

Agreed

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #39 on: Jun 26, 2017, 22:37:00 »
Guys I feel like I'm almost there!

So I did the valve clearance adjustment, and when I started it up there was a loud ticking noise (I'm assuming because my tappet screws were too loose?) but no smoke and sounded much more powerful! Could the ticking be because I didn't do the carb sync yet?

Also, when I was doing the adjustment, I couldn't get it exactly on the LT and T mark, because anytime I tried it shifted like 1 cm over by itself. Is that bad?

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #40 on: Jun 26, 2017, 22:52:40 »
When you do the timing adjustment you want the spark plugs out so you're not working against the compression.  You can use a breaker bar handle to counter balance the alternator so it doesn't move. Or carefully wedge a small screwdriver tip in-between the stator and the alternator. 

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #41 on: Jun 26, 2017, 23:25:30 »
Guys I feel like I'm almost there!

So I did the valve clearance adjustment, and when I started it up there was a loud ticking noise (I'm assuming because my tappet screws were too loose?) but no smoke and sounded much more powerful! Could the ticking be because I didn't do the carb sync yet?

Also, when I was doing the adjustment, I couldn't get it exactly on the LT and T mark, because anytime I tried it shifted like 1 cm over by itself. Is that bad?
The reason it feel like it "shifts by itself" is the magnets on the rotor.

Hard to explain but I thread a cover bolt in then use a zip tie to hold the wrench to keep exactly on mark.

Ticking noise is not because carbs are out of sync.  Recheck your valve adjustment. 

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #42 on: Jun 28, 2017, 23:06:22 »
Aaaand I'm back.

So I got through all the steps and now I just did my carb adjustment. I think I got it right, except when the bike revs it seems like the right side revs longer. Does that make sense?

Also, the smoke and popping are no more! (Except when you rev really high, is that normal?)

Also, the bike gets hot, I mean steaming hot. And the right muffler feels hotter than the left.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #43 on: Jun 29, 2017, 00:55:50 »
Aaaand I'm back.

So I got through all the steps and now I just did my carb adjustment. I think I got it right, except when the bike revs it seems like the right side revs longer. Does that make sense?

Also, the smoke and popping are no more! (Except when you rev really high, is that normal?)

Also, the bike gets hot, I mean steaming hot. And the right muffler feels hotter than the left.
Your carbs need to be synced.

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #44 on: Jul 09, 2017, 02:08:01 »
First of all I just want to thank all of you so far for all your help!

I've eliminated the oil leaking, the smoke from the mufflers, the overheating on one side, and the idling issues.

The bike sounds as it should now when idling, but when I took it out for a test ride, I noticed a few things...
   • ticking gets louder the faster I ride
   • it rides rough in the first 2 gears, but gets better the faster I go

I also feel like I'm constantly charging the battery, like every 3 days, even though it's a new battery

Does it still seem like there's major problems with the engine, or is it just down to fine tuning now?