www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)  (Read 2529 times)

Offline rsjudka

Re: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)
« Reply #45 on: Jul 09, 2017, 18:10:20 »
Just to clarify, it feels less powerful in gears 1-3, and feels like it chokes up sometimes in those low gears.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #46 on: Jul 09, 2017, 18:14:55 »
You shouldn't need to charge battery every couple of days unless there is a problem with battery or charging system. Have you fitted a 'modern' regulator rectifier? In my experience there is usually no problem with the generator windings or rotor magnets, physical damage is pretty easily seen or can be tested with multi-meter. The wiring to main block connector can be damaged or more likely corrosion in block connectors and/or red/white wire on rectifier is broken or corroded. I Don't know if anyone has tried it yet but I've been thinking of modifying a stock rotor by fitting neodymium magnets to increase magnetic flux and low speed charging.
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #47 on: Jul 10, 2017, 00:47:57 »
You shouldn't need to charge battery every couple of days unless there is a problem with battery or charging system. Have you fitted a 'modern' regulator rectifier? In my experience there is usually no problem with the generator windings or rotor magnets, physical damage is pretty easily seen or can be tested with multi-meter. The wiring to main block connector can be damaged or more likely corrosion in block connectors and/or red/white wire on rectifier is broken or corroded. I Don't know if anyone has tried it yet but I've been thinking of modifying a stock rotor by fitting neodymium magnets to increase magnetic flux and low speed charging.
I haven't changed any of the electrical parts to the bike, but by the looks of it the rectifier looks super super old. Should I try upgrading it with the one sold on cmc?

Also, do you have any idea about what could be causing low power issues at the lower gears?

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #48 on: Jul 10, 2017, 08:00:58 »
I haven't changed any of the electrical parts to the bike, but by the looks of it the rectifier looks super super old. Should I try upgrading it with the one sold on cmc?

Also, do you have any idea about what could be causing low power issues at the lower gears?

Most importantly carb sync.  You cant tune out of sync carbs.  They must work together (the same from the start) then work on tuning adjustments...

I am a HUGE fan of sparckmoto.com stuff.  Owner, Sonreir is a longtime DTT member.  http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #49 on: Jul 10, 2017, 12:04:02 »
I am new this so I may have done it wrong, but I do believe I did the carb sync correctly. I followed the video posted by CMC about doing a carb sync on a cb360 using his carb sync adapters.

Got equal reading from both carbs and both mufflers feel like they have even pressure. Is there some other measurement I can use to see if my carbs are synced properly?

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #50 on: Jul 10, 2017, 12:21:30 »
Good, if they are synced then they are synced.  8)

So get the charging system up to snuff.  And your ready to start tuning carbs to run properly.

BTW how bout a few  pics of the whole bike.   ;)

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #51 on: Jul 10, 2017, 12:24:49 »
What size battery do you have in her?  Mine is an 8ah agm and works super.  12ah would be even better.

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #52 on: Jul 10, 2017, 19:49:55 »
Here she is (minus the 12" shorties I recently put on):

There's also been a lot of paint chipping off the engine, so I think I'm going to just strip the paint off all the covers  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 01:06:01 by rsjudka »

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #53 on: Jul 10, 2017, 19:51:30 »
What size battery do you have in her?  Mine is an 8ah agm and works super.  12ah would be even better.

The battery is a 12v 12ah, so that should be powerful enough? Should I try to get a new battery first (bought like last year) or go for the new rectifier?

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #54 on: Jul 10, 2017, 22:29:09 »
Cant see your pics.

A 12v 12ah is great.  But if the charging system isnt functioning properly...

Get the electrics sorted out.   Have you tested for output?  Idle the bike and place meter leads (dc voltage) across battery terminals.
Then check it again twixed 3-5k rpm.

Did you solve the ticking sound?
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 22:31:31 by trek97 »

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #55 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:14:43 »
I always have trouble with these pictures, I reuploaded a smaller sized image now

I don't have anything to test the battery, but I'm going to take the battery the Auto Zone to get it tested. And if they say the battery is good, then I'll rent a tester and test on the bike.

So when the bike idles the ticking is gone, but with any pull on the throttle the ticking comes back. I've watched a few cb360 test ride videos on youtube and the ticking can sometimes be heard, is that normal?

And just a side question, when doing the carb sync, does the vacuum gauge reading matter? Or is it just to have both carbs show the same value?

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #56 on: Jul 11, 2017, 08:12:05 »
The vac reading just needs to be the same.  So, sounds like you got that.

Yes, test battery and rent the meter and check it w bike running.

She is a really nice looking machine.  8)  It will be difficult to make her run right w shortys.  :P

If it were my bike.  I would put he stock mufflers back on, immediately. 

They look great black.  BONUS- It will run a lot better.  Double points- You wont go deaf.  ;)

Double check ignition timing with a strobe light.  timing must be set correctly.  It could result in a cracked valve caused by overheating or hitting piston.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #57 on: Jul 11, 2017, 08:20:28 »
I cant tell what you got going on for air filters.
I would start scouring the earth for stock air filters.

You can find em easily on ebay.

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 08:32:25 by trek97 »

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #59 on: Jul 11, 2017, 08:42:23 »
Yes thankfully the bike came with stock air filters 😀

I would love to have kept the stock mufflers on, but there were just so man holes in them and there was a rattling noise inside both of them :(

For the timing adjustment, you first check left side on the compression stroke at the LF mark then rotate 180° to the F mark, or would you first rotate a whole revolution and then go to the F mark?