VT 500 Ascot? (and a possible package deal)

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I've known for years that a friend picked up a bike to learn to ride on. She told my it was a Honda Ascot and going by what she told me, I always thought it was the FT single.
She's done NOTHING with it and has recently had a baby. I've been messaging her about getting it. She finally got around to sending some pics and I was a little surprised to see that it's the VT 500 twin!

She does have a title. It's been sitting for years. Tank looks like it needs a cleaning, but I'll have to check the lower part for the common rust area. The P.O. told her it needs a caliper, but I've overhauled brakes plenty of times. Then, just normal sitting bike stuff: battery, fluids, fork oil, coolant, etc. I'll assume it needs tires. I don't know the total mileage just yet. I'll probably go view it later this week.

Her husband also has a CB360. I don't really have any interest in the CB, but if I can get a good package deal....
He has a title. He has the carbs and side covers, but no air filters.

I think I could get the pair for around a grand, flip the 360 with little or nothing done to it, and have a free or nearly free Ascot.
Tell me about the VT500 Ascot. I'm thinking a true dual exhaust, something different with the headlight (why, oh WHY did Honda put the headlight up so high on the Ascot's?!?), maybe some tracker style bars and different rubber.

The twin Ascot isn't as nearly sought after, but I'm sure it has it's fans. The single is the flat tracker. Still though, a free bike is a free bike and if you can work it out with the 360, then that is a good deal. Personally, I enjoy the 360s. I'm just weird like that. I'd keep it over the Ascot.

I just sold two really nice CL350's, one stock and one custom. They were cool, but only for bopping around town. I'm more of a middleweight guy myself; CB550, VF500F, etc.

I like the VT500's, dead reliable, light etc. They use to make touring tanks for these that extend the range to 300 miles a tank, with a good seat you could have a great light tourer. 360's are neat too for completely different reasons LOL.

agreed with eric, around here (which I don't think is far from you) I see the twin ascots selling dirt cheap fairly often, but when you come across the single, people usually ask a good bit more. But I also agree that a free bike is a free bike and it could still be neat

The VT500 is a shaftie which may or may not be desirable. Much more difficult to do something different w/ wheels, but they are nice when it comes to maintenance. They may not be sexy but are suppose to be dead reliable. Not the most likely cafe candidate, but if done right could be a fun bike.

Made the deal today. Got a killer deal on this and a 1975 CB360. The Ascot is a keeper, not sure what I'll do with the 360 yet.
Bike is in nice shape with a little over 11K miles. Minor scratches and needs some elbow grease and compounding, but the bodywork is straight and not cracked or dented. The tank needs a minor cleaning, but only above the line of the old gas. No rust through or thin spots; very solid and straight.
I know it needs fork seals, all fluids and normal tune up stuff. The front caliper is completely missing, so I'll have to replace that and go through the brakes. I'll clean the carbs, just because (unless ya'll think I should try firing it up as-is and see what happens). Overall, a SOLID bike that doesn't need much at all!

In the van....

...and after a quick bath.

I plan on doing some minor "bolt on" cosmetic stuff, such as smaller turn signals, maybe a rear fender eliminator, probably do SOMETHING with the headlight and gauges (number plate or a round headlight?) and maybe a Trailtech Vapor gauge unit, depending on which way I go with the lighting.

The deal was really, really good and included a '75 CB360, too. The carbs are included, but no air filters or side covers. Titled. Good compression. The triple is cracked, but I found a CM400 replacement that's a direct for for $25 shipped.

[/quote]

Thats a great deal. Clean looking Ascot, I'd be keeping that one as well!

Good info that the CM400 triple tree direct swaps onto the 360...

Yep a round headlight changes the look a lot on these as well as smaller gauges. Pull the 360 light and mount it on the Ascott for shits and giggles

Tank, before and after EvapoRust.

I pulled the air filter and 75% of the foam was GONE. But there was a nice stash of kibbles in the air box. It never ceases to amaze me where the varmints can get.

Cleaned the housing with Simple Green and carb cleaner. Vacuumed and wiped out the air box. Used some leftover UNI foam and made a new filter.

Pulled the carbs and I'm glad I did. I can still smell the old gas that came out, and while the throttle turned, the slides were stuck. Diaphragms are good. I dropped them and the CB360 carbs off with my carb guy.

Got the oil changed in both bikes (and the filter in the VT). It uses the same filter my VF500 uses and I just happened to have a couple on hand.
I also got the 360 prepped for a valve and points adjustment this weekend. I already have the caliper apart and I'm just waiting on a box from 4into1.com so I can do the brakes, steering stem, forks, etc.
Oh...and spent a few days soaking the tank with EvapoRust and finished up some particularly tough stuff with The Works. It's now bare metal inside and coated with Marvel Mystery Oil.

I gathered up the stuff for the brakes on the VT but was stymied by some stuck pistons in the caliper I picked up. I just have a little 3 gallon compressor and it wouldn't pop them out (and BTW, I used the grease gun method the the CB360 caliper. Didn't want to do that on the dual piston VT caliper). I'll drop it off at my buddy's shop and have him pop them out.
I had a new 16mm master cylinder on hand. Bought it for the VF500 and ended up not needing it. I picked up some EBC pads and had a stainless hose made at a local hydraulics shop. Only $24!

Found these bars at the local Mom 'n' Pop motorcycle shop. NOS Honda CRF230F bars for only $35. I had to finagle them a bit because of the non-detachable cross bar, but they work. It's amazing what a simple bar change can do!
The controls aren't fully tightened down yet. I'll do that once I have the seat on.

I have always liked the V-twin Ascots.
They had the street-legal flat-tracker thing going on before it was a thing. :)

Over the last few days I've gotten the triple tree repaired on the CB360, as well as rebuilding the forks and front brakes.
Moved on to the Ascot and got the radiator flushed and coolant changed. Changed the gear oil in the final drive. Rebuilt the forks and installed a new (old) drilled rotor, braided S.S. hose, EBC pads and new master cylinder.

Also ordered some new tires; Kenda K-761's.

After struggling with the rear axle nut for over an hour.... heat, impact gun, PB Blaster, you name it....I was finally able to free it by having the GF hold the axle with a screwdriver on the opposite side while I used a 2 ft. piece of PVC pipe on a 2 ft. breaker bar. It was just stuck with corrosion and age. I cleaned it up and lubed everything properly on reassembly.
New tires mounted and balanced and brakes properly adjusted.

Nice and meaty all the way around and still clears the fender and swing arm with room to spare.

Used an XL600R headlight assembly and modified the brackets so that it bolts right up to the stock Ascot headlight ears. Lowers the headlight almost two inches and covers up the gauges. The turn signals are smaller versions of the stock signals.
I'll neaten up the wiring behind it before final mounting. It will be painted black to match the bodywork with maybe a couple of small grey and white pin stripes in the outline of the existing black area. Grey and white to match the side covers and the wings on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom