Enclosed Trailer Advice

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have been having some thoughts on buying an enclosed trailer to haul and store bikes in. If I were just using it to haul bikes id just stick with an open trailer, since nothing I have is nice enough to be a trailer queen, but the prospect of dry storage for 3 or so bikes is a nice thought, since my garage is a single car attached and at the moment I have 5 bikes in there, a lathe, a lift work benches ect... anyhow

What im looking at right now is this one or something similar

http://www.wowcargotrailers.com/products.php?id=32

6x12 slant v nose.

tow vehicle will be 2001 chevy Silverado with the 4.8 liter v8

I have been advised to go with a tandem axle setup to make it pull nicer, but the price really starts to jump when you do that.

any advice welcome. Tandem a must? Trailer brakes a must?

planning on hauling 2 bikes and gear most of the time or possibly 3 dirtbikes shoehorned.

Thanks!

Tandem and brakes are not a necessity, but a plus.

I'd hop on Craigslist. They're everywhere, and cheap.

J-Rod10 said:
Tandem and brakes are not a necessity, but a plus.

I'd hop on Craigslist. They're everywhere, and cheap.

been cruising CL all morning. That place with the link I posted is cheaper than most of what im seeing used

We pull a two wheeler with three bikes a hell of a lot but not enclosed, I think if enclosed you need to be able to stand up in it period end of story

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I'd put a shipping container in my yard for bike storage and stick with the open trailer.

irk miller said:
I guess that Harbor Freight jawn already shredded?

Tim said:
I'd put a shipping container in my yard for bike storage and stick with the open trailer.
Harbor freight jawn is holding strong, but it's full lol and Tim, shipping container is a no go. I live in a rental

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'v used my 6X12 V front for quite a few years as racebike transport and storage. Single torsion axle no brakes ,I've pulled it with my '84 1/2 ton with no problems I just never get in a huge hurry.

In my experience, EVERY enclosed trailer that started being used for storage became more or less unusable as a trailer. The contents ended up being stored rather than stowed, so you had to take most everything out and repack it to make it ready to travel. That and stuff getting packed around/against it renders it more of a building than a trailer. If you can keep it in trailer mode even when storing your bikes than this obviously won't be an issue - just reporting my experiences. You likely can get a little pre-fab storage building twice that size for less money which would be far better than the trailer for storage. An open trailer stays ready to use, is easier to put bikes on and you still have the whole bed of the pickup to use for gear. Put a topper on it if you need dry storage. Plus, an open trailer is so much lighter and easier to pull. The main benefit of the enclosed trailer for me is security, but if you can work around that as a requirement I suggest going light. I tow trailers quite often - including my 13,000 lb boat - lighter is better!

Neal~ said:
I'v used my 6X12 V front for quite a few years as racebike transport and storage. Single torsion axle no brakes ,I've pulled it with my '84 1/2 ton fuckin Box Chevy with no problems I just never get in a huge hurry.

The main perk to dual axles (if you don't need them due to load weight) is that over bumps, a dual axle will go "blump blump", but a single axle will go "boing". More axles make the ride smoother for the cargo. As long as you're aware of this and drive accordingly, you'll be ok. (the downside to dual axles is, you will go through tires quicker, as you're always dragging tires in tight turns)
Same with the brakes. They get necessary when the load weight goes up, but as long as you're aware and drive accordingly, you'll be ok.

For reference, I've pulled an open 16' steel tube frame, single axle trailer, sans brakes, with three bikes (CB750, CB550, and an RD350) from NOLA to Birmingham, with a 2003 4.8l Yukon. No problems and no worries whatsoever.

I pull trailers every day and I say brakes are a must. I hugely prefer not to pull one without.
Tandem is great as well but not necessary.
Get the highest weight capacity you can, because while bikes weight almost nothing, a trailer full of furniture and everything else you own when moving gets heavy.
Overkill FTW.

Check out searchtempest.com and find one on CL.

My enclosed is a 18x7 tandem with brakes on all 4 and I wouldn't want it any other way. I've pulled it without the brakes, and even with not much in it it's not fun or safe.

I've warped some rotors having to stop to avoid some numb nuts in front of me. Trailer brakes would've been nice.

The used trailers I have seen retain their value to the point where it's better to buy new. They seem to only drop 30% in value over 10 years. That's crazy. You should just get a new one like you are planning. 10 years is a long time for stuff to wear out.

Found you one

https://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs/6141413928.html
;D

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been finding much of what Dave has said, up here at least... People are often asking more than what you can buy a new one for. If I can I'll try to get a tandem with brakes. I feel like it will be one of those things that I'll regret not spending the extra coin for later on

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SONIC. said:
Get the highest weight capacity you can, because while bikes weight almost nothing, a trailer full of furniture and everything else you own when moving gets heavy.
Overkill FTW.
My enclosed is a 18x7 tandem with brakes on all 4 and I wouldn't want it any other way. I've pulled it without the brakes, and even with not much in it it's not fun or safe.
All good points.

I guess I should note that I drive a Volvo D13 daycab pulling a loaded 53' trailer, all week long. Recreational trailers don't panic me I guess.

Redbird said:
All good points.

I guess I should note that I drive a Volvo D13 daycab pulling a loaded 53' trailer, all week long. Recreational trailers don't panic me I guess.

Showoff ::)

8)

Back
Top Bottom