1978 xs750 Carburetor leaking

Xs7501978

Alright....so I bought this xs750 2 months ago and it was perfect. Comepletly restored to the max. The guy said he took apart the engine, carbs, new paint job, everything except the electrical. So of course i bought it for a cheap price of $1000 might seem fake but he had pictures of the processes. but then the next day my bro crashed it. It started after 20 minutes or so and I took it home, we then took everything except the carbs apart and my brother redid the electrics and it had been running fine. Last week it started to drip gas some when I was driving and then after a couple days it started to drain gas so I bought rebuild kits and carb cleaner and went to work. But even now after cleaning it 100% it's still drains when it runs. The float mount is broken on one of them but. That carb isnt acting up so I figure I'm just gonna leave it be for now. I'll add a picture or two so y'all can see the bike and the hole where it's leaking later today. Let me know if ya have any questions, need to get this fixed so I can ride haha.

(Didn't see any categories for this so I just posted here)
31a630e0ce689a7dfd04d54aa82f9039.jpg
b61a14a2b8b06a48e9a9be5bf4a2cc63.jpg

It leaks out of the white hole first, then if you plug it. the black, blue and then yellow.. if you plug all the holes the engine starts so sputter. And when you rev it high the leaking sometimes stops.

JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS WHEN I SAY LEAKING I MEAN IT HAS A CONSTANT STREAM.
Thanks in advance

Remove the floats carefully (there is a tiny axis that holds the float)....be careful the posts on which the axis fixed likes to breql easily and shake the floats...are they full of gasoline?
Next up take every single float and dunk it into a see trough glass full.of water to.see if they are leaky....

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Yeah ik they break easy because some jackass before me broke one of them, but that one works fine for now and I'm going to buy a new carb body. I'll do those tests though and get back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Alright so it sounds like there is a little in it and it doesn't float like the rest...could that be the problem with it? I'm gonna swap the one that's leaky with the middle to test.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Youre welcome.normally when you do the carbs stick to stock parts (and ultrasonically cleaning them) dont replace stock parts with cheap aftermarket parts if you buy new buy OEM.
If the carbs leak there is a problem with the needle/needle valve/float assembly.
No need to completely rebuild the carbs.Glad you found it.cheers

Ryan Stecken said:
Youre welcome.normally when you do the carbs stick to stock parts (and ultrasonically cleaning them) dont replace stock parts with cheap aftermarket parts if you buy new buy OEM.
If the carbs leak there is a problem with the needle/needle valve/float assembly.
No need to completely rebuild the carbs.Glad you found it.cheers

Yes +1 on that. I would not want aftermarket needle valves anywhere, knowing how fine tolerances are on stock items.
And i would prefer to solder up the leaky float instead of buying aftermarket.

Yah but i don't really want to solder an entire float because even when I put it in water you can't tell exactly where the hole is. Ik they are very persise but idk I'll see if this works or it runs weird

Xs7501978 said:
Yah but i don't really want to solder an entire float because even when I put it in water you can't tell exactly where the hole is. Ik they are very persise but idk I'll see if this works or it runs weird
You just go over it with a flame where you think it leaks, dont add any solder. If you add solder you're gonna have to set your float levels more carefully. With tubes from the float bowls.

I got the outside dry but I can still hear gas sloshing around on the inside... I shook it around trying to get it out but that didnt seem to work lol

Xs7501978 said:
I got the outside dry but I can still hear gas sloshing around on the inside... I shook it around trying to get it out but that didnt seem to work lol
Dont put a flame to it!

An option is a low heat that would help the fuel in the float to evaporate. If you could get a heat source at about 100C and no flame that would be great. Now I think you are in Murcia Spain? Guess there would be plenty of sun at the moment. You could sit a piece of steel plate out in the sun with the float on it, the plate should get up very close to 100C. Once it is hot and the fuel starts to evaporate have a spray bottle with hot (so as to not chill the float instantly) soapy water and spray onto the float. Hopefully the evaporating fuel will create some bubbles so you can mark where the leak is. Then leave it to evaporate out all of the fuel before fixing.

Back
Top Bottom