www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Too Much Technology  (Read 929 times)

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Too Much Technology
« Reply #15 on: Jul 05, 2017, 04:03:30 »
Technology is nice.ABS and all the system that help and assist.Reliability at the push of a button.But at which cost?
Can you service and maintain a CAN Bus system?
Can you service a fuel injection system?

I canīt, so I stick to stuff that is self explaining, like my carbs, ignitions and mechanics that speak for themselves.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #16 on: Jul 05, 2017, 13:02:37 »
I've had a motorcycle since I was 6 years old.  My newest bike is a 2000 ZRX.  I've never ridden a bike with abs but fuel injection is nice on my wifes FZ6R.  My throttle hand is my traction control.  All the gadgets are harder to troubleshoot, replace or repair and more expensive all around.   I'm not against the new tech but I also have no need for it.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2017, 13:14:22 »
Me too, I hate the newer cars with all the sensors and throttle by wire and shit, those things go bad and the whole car is broken, bikes will be the same soon too, My newest bike is 1981. I will be riding a new Triumph Tiger 800 which has FI and ABS etc. I'll let you know what I think after 3 days in the Colorado mountains.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Online J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #18 on: Jul 05, 2017, 15:05:38 »
Me too, I hate the newer cars with all the sensors and throttle by wire and shit, those things go bad and the whole car is broken, bikes will be the same soon too, My newest bike is 1981. I will be riding a new Triumph Tiger 800 which has FI and ABS etc. I'll let you know what I think after 3 days in the Colorado mountains.

I have changed out damn near every sensor on the Jeep I just bought. Royal pain in the ass they are.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2017, 15:07:25 »
Nothing wrong with ABS, it really comes into it's own when your tired or conditions are bad but I can live without it
As for Fuel injection, get over it, more efficient than a carb in just about any situation. (even though I only have injection on mini pick-up, everything else has carbs)
 Traction control I'm not so sure of, don't really know what it does but I know it was used in Moto GP and a LOT of people were concerned it took the extra skill needed for racers away. I think I've ridden BMW's with it but didn't get stupid enough for it to work no it wasn't 'intrusive' Saying that, my newest bike is 1995 so has very little in the way of 'technology' on it. Ignition is pretty basic electronic (probably not even 8 bit program)
It lets me do stuff I probably shouldn't   ;D 8)

I have changed out damn near every sensor on the Jeep I just bought. Royal pain in the ass they are.

Depending on the year, they can totally suck as the connectors can be put on wrong sensors (don't ask how I know)
'Electronic transmission' is a royal PITA

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 15:09:12 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Karlloss

« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2017, 04:57:42 »
I used to be of the opinion that ABS wasn't needed on a bike having ridden bikes for over 35 years, that was until I actually bought a bike that had ABS and traction control. The traction control saved me from high siding in the pouring rain one day, added to the fact the bike also had cruise control, both of which make the riding experience much better. 

I still have older analog bikes and will ride them, but newer bikes with electronic additions are definitely better in my opinion (until you come to work on them!).

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Scooter trash

« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2017, 12:54:49 »
My 2012 KWAK has ABS which I love when cornering to be able to apply the rear brake without skidding out. The KTRC is useless, throws you into a safety anti wheelie mode if the rpms drop a little on hard acceleration. Otherwise it must have been designed for a complete idiot with three modes, Sorta Fast, Slow, and Scooter. Mode 3, Scooter, is 100 hp.

The 2007 KWAK is spartan for gizmos. It has battery voltage, gear position, fuel level, engine temp, range 1 and 2. Battery voltage is what needs to be monitored closely. The bike is running a 265 lph fuel pump, and a scavenge pump. If it can't maintain 45 lbs fuel pressure the engine will toast out in seconds under boost.

Compare the 1973 Triumph Tiger now. Find neutral, (it must have three), turn on fuel petcock, push carb button until you remember you're smoking a fag, put it out, then wait for gasoline to flow. Choke, kick, kick, tickle, kick and it fires up. The warm up is slow and goes on a scale of balky to fine, to...well it was never this hot in United Kingdom...to the cool down phase, where the carbs settles down in it's narrow operating range. Idle is never perfect, charging system is sketchy. Love the bike though, the Brits have never built an ugly bike or ridiculous hard to work on, AKA valve adjust on the ZX-14...all day...no shim? All week now. 
Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2017, 16:36:14 »
I think the main reason for all the stuff, it allows manufacturers to sell to people who really should not be riding 180mph motorcycles.
About 7~8 yrs ago when I worked at MMI, I had a student with part time job in local dealers.
One Sunday, they sold 3 GSX-R 1000's. None of them made it more than 5 miles, the 17 yr old who's mother bought it for him never made it more than about 5 ft (yeah, I've ridden loads of 'fast' bikes - dumped the clutch and went straight 'up and over') One hit the shop sign after managing to get rolling and the third ended up in a ditch after 'throttle stuck' Connecting it to 'computer' showed throttle at 80%in second gear (probably around 100mph?).
Way too many riders have 'more balls than brains' and just want whatever they perceive as 'the fastest' and many sales people just want max commision, they will probably be selling insurance or something in a few years so don't care about motorcycle's or the future
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline The Limey

• Load Bearing Member
« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2017, 16:29:11 »
Being old and bold I have this self preservation gene called "restraint".  If I'm riding a mid Eighties big Gixxer with suspension made from cake and no electronic safety system then I take that into account with my riding and don't take liberties.

My next Birthday is my Fiftieth and I've survived unscathed thus far and have never owned a bike with ABS, TC or EFI.

If some people are that worried then I'd question whether bikes are really for them at all.
If it ain't broke, then I haven't been hitting it hard enough.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2017, 17:54:49 »
I hit 60 this year, don't bounce like I used to  ;D

Offline ApriliaBill

• Yeah...I'm old school.
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2017, 22:45:14 »
 I'm not a big tech fan, but did own an Aprilia with all the bells and whistles. It was a no brainer and all you had to do is point and shoot. It was an amazing bike. Now.. Do I ride my older bikes to the limits that I rode that bike, never. I prefer older stuff (drive a 49 Chevy p/up) but I never fool myself into thinking the old stuff is better. Does it have more soul? You bet it does, but there really isn't much that take the place of tech. There is a reason they don't race 80's super bikes against new stuff. The new stuff is just better, but that being said, if somebody gave me the choice between say a Vincent or a new bike, it'd be the Vincent. I don't own a Quartz watch, my guns are old school, my trucks are older and I didn't own a cell phone till I was 57. Don't get me wrong, tech in a lot of cases is definitely better, I just prefer simpler things. I do own a 2012 Triumph and it is far better than my 72 BSA, but I still ride the BSA more than the Triumph. 

I lit up a gun thread recently. There is a new scope that tells you when you're going to make a kill shot. I said I had filled my tags with a $70 Savage for decades and it blew up into a "be a hunter" or "tech rules" thread. I get both sides, but do agree, you should learn the skills and then add the tech.

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2017, 07:08:23 »
 'We now like our things not to disturb us.Why do some of the current Mercedes models have no dipstick?
What are the attractions of being disburdened of involvement with our own stuff?'
-M. Crawford

Offline crazypj

« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2017, 13:01:22 »
I didn't own a cell phone till I was 57. Don't get me wrong, tech in a lot of cases is definitely better, I just prefer simpler things. I do own a 2012 Triumph and it is far better than my 72 BSA, but I still ride the BSA more than the Triumph. 

I still don't have a cell phone(well, I had an iPhone 4 for 3 months but it hasn't been connected to a network in years)
It's way more fun and 'entertaining' to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow (why I like 360's so much?)