Too Much Technology

TripleKing

Been Around the Block
I wrote an article, recently, for Revzilla's "Common Tread" online magazine asking: "How much tech is too much on your motorcycle?" I expected some, if not most, readers to appreciate technological advancements. However, I was surprised that there were quite a few readers who vehement me, one or two borderline belligerently, that they would not ride a motorcycle without ABS, traction control and stability control.

I am no luddite and like ABS and fuel injection on a daily rider, but some readers expressed fear of riding a motorcycle which relied entirely on the rider's ability. I was surprised by this reaction. As such, I feel a bit out of touch. What says the DTT community?

Meh, I'm not too terribly concerned with all the fancy do-dads. Are they nice? Sure. Are they necessary? Absolutely not. A lot of the tech has taken the necessity of a good bit of skill out of riding.

None for me thanks a good set of analog controls and skill will do for a cruise up the highway. Now if I were a racer you have to have tech to complete with the jugheads lol

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I love new tech, especially when it makes bikes safer. I've never ridden a bike with ABS, but newer more modern brakes are often an upgrade on my vintage bikes and my '05 Ninja has fuel injection and I love it. :)

That said, it's no problem to ride within the capabilities of vintage brakes, handling and engine performance. I think some rely too heavily on modern tech to 'do the work'. Not a good idea! :(

I am with you. I like top-notch brakes, suspension, etc. to maximize my riding abilities rather than augment my abilities or cover up for my shortcomings.

J-Rod10 said:
Meh, I'm not too terribly concerned with all the fancy do-dads. Are they nice? Sure. Are they necessary? Absolutely not. A lot of the tech has taken the necessity of a good bit of skill out of riding.

It seems that many "modern" riders think taking the skill out of riding is a good thing.

TripleKing said:
It seems that many "modern" riders think taking the skill out of riding is a good thing.
It is, when you don't have any, or don't want to dedicate the time to gain it.

I like ABS, fuel injection I can take or leave, anything else is just a crutch for not learning skills and limits.

I wouldn't know because I've never had a bike newer than 1990. LOL

I thought the same, until I bought a bike with fuel injection and ABS.
Of course I'll ride without it. But I prefer to have it now.
It's a GREAT feeling to be able to grab a handful of front brake and not wonder if you're going to faceplant.
If I'm on a white line, in some slight gravel, on a wet road etc I can brake with confidence and not have to tap-dance around not slipping out.

To me this is pretty huge, especially considering I still have major hand pain from breaking it on my CB400F when the front wheel slid out on some random gravel in the road.

irk miller said:
I wouldn't know because I've never had a bike newer than 1990. LOL

I own and have owned only two motorcycles made after 1990, my 1991 TW200 (since sold) and my 2003 BMW F650GS (my current daily rider).

SONIC. said:
I thought the same, until I bought a bike with fuel injection and ABS.
Of course I'll ride without it. But I prefer to have it now.
It's a GREAT feeling to be able to grab a handful of front brake and not wonder if you're going to faceplant.
If I'm on a white line, in some slight gravel, on a wet road etc I can brake with confidence and not have to tap-dance around not slipping out.

To me this is pretty huge, especially considering I still have major hand pain from breaking it on my CB400F when the front wheel slid out on some random gravel in the road.

I meant more traction control, stability control, etc.

TripleKing said:
I meant more traction control, stability control, etc.

Gotcha. Yeah that stuff is eh for me. My beemer has traction control but I turn it off more often than not because it's annoying when I want to spin the tire.

The AT in the garage has adjustable traction control which is way cool you can define the amount of spin you deem okay before it kicks in.

It's all nice to have but hardly necessary, and that stuff really does trick you I to being a better rider/feeling like a better rider.

Technology has always met with the thousand souls appointed to guard the past, "Maeterlinck". six volt vs. twelve, generator vs. alternator, 30wt non detergent vs detergent multi viscosity, overhead valve vs. flathead, windmills, (props), vs. jet. I have a C100 dead reliable, doesn't need a battery, dirt simple construction, and modern oil to boot. The point cam has been polished to a 4 mirror finish, NBU 15 high temp grease on the point cam lube brush. It will last as long as any CDI ignition. In the 40 years I've owned it, not one failure. The speedo is worn out too.

For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe the horse, etc.

I was happily riding my dead reliable Kawasaki ZX-14 when the battery just quit, stone open circuit...nothing. It was also a fairly new battery. So much for technology, it all is vulnerable to fail.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 224
Technology is nice.ABS and all the system that help and assist.Reliability at the push of a button.But at which cost?
Can you service and maintain a CAN Bus system?
Can you service a fuel injection system?

I can´t, so I stick to stuff that is self explaining, like my carbs, ignitions and mechanics that speak for themselves.

I've had a motorcycle since I was 6 years old. My newest bike is a 2000 ZRX. I've never ridden a bike with abs but fuel injection is nice on my wifes FZ6R. My throttle hand is my traction control. All the gadgets are harder to troubleshoot, replace or repair and more expensive all around. I'm not against the new tech but I also have no need for it.

Me too, I hate the newer cars with all the sensors and throttle by wire and shit, those things go bad and the whole car is broken, bikes will be the same soon too, My newest bike is 1981. I will be riding a new Triumph Tiger 800 which has FI and ABS etc. I'll let you know what I think after 3 days in the Colorado mountains.

Maritime said:
Me too, I hate the newer cars with all the sensors and throttle by wire and shit, those things go bad and the whole car is broken, bikes will be the same soon too, My newest bike is 1981. I will be riding a new Triumph Tiger 800 which has FI and ABS etc. I'll let you know what I think after 3 days in the Colorado mountains.

I have changed out damn near every sensor on the Jeep I just bought. Royal pain in the ass they are.

Nothing wrong with ABS, it really comes into it's own when your tired or conditions are bad but I can live without it
As for Fuel injection, get over it, more efficient than a carb in just about any situation. (even though I only have injection on mini pick-up, everything else has carbs)
Traction control I'm not so sure of, don't really know what it does but I know it was used in Moto GP and a LOT of people were concerned it took the extra skill needed for racers away. I think I've ridden BMW's with it but didn't get stupid enough for it to work no it wasn't 'intrusive' Saying that, my newest bike is 1995 so has very little in the way of 'technology' on it. Ignition is pretty basic electronic (probably not even 8 bit program)
It lets me do stuff I probably shouldn't ;D 8)

J-Rod10 said:
I have changed out damn near every sensor on the Jeep I just bought. Royal pain in the ass they are.

Depending on the year, they can totally suck as the connectors can be put on wrong sensors (don't ask how I know)
'Electronic transmission' is a royal PITA

Back
Top Bottom