Wiring Help - In over my head...

jcp

So I've bought my first bike. Thought I knew enough and had the will power to do a build but the wiring has me stumped. I think a combination of the previous hack job, seriously it was bad, and my novice bike building cause me to hit a wall.

Are there any people that lend skills, shops or independents, to doing bike wiring? I've purchased a decent condition harness from ebay but still have too many questions. I'm in the Dallas area, Richardson to be specific.

Any help or advice it appreciated.

I can't come and help unless you're willing to pay the air fare from England ☺
But all older motorcycle electrics are a number of relatively simple electrical circuits, you'll have an ignition circuit, a charging circuit, a lighting circuit and an ancillaries circuit (horn, indicators etc.)
The charging circuit is usually 3 wires from the alternator into the rectifier and the a 12V feed to the battery, an earth and a feed back wire that feeds 12V back to the rectifier (this isn't always there)
The other circuits require 12V and an earth to work.
It would help if you said what bike it is your trying to fix

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

I've got a 1976 Yamaha XS360.

Thank you for the explanation! I'll try to do some more tackling once I get some free time this weekend!

I'm in Houston, unfortunately everything is 3 hours away in Texas or I'd give you a hand.

First things first is to get a wiring diagram for your bike. What I like to do if I'm customizing it is scan in and delete out any wiring you won't be using just to simplify it. If you take a good half hour to study the diagram and figure out where the power is coming from and where each component grounds out to, it's actually relatively simple.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

advCo said:
I'm in Houston, unfortunately everything is 3 hours away in Texas or I'd give you a hand.

First things first is to get a wiring diagram for your bike. What I like to do if I'm customizing it is scan in and delete out any wiring you won't be using just to simplify it. If you take a good half hour to study the diagram and figure out where the power is coming from and where each component grounds out to, it's actually relatively simple.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
This is good advice, work out the seperate circuits.
Japanese wiring looms are usually a little over complicated to make production easier

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom