www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Ever see a chopper with a leaf spring rear end? (XS650)  (Read 827 times)

Offline pacomotorstuff

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Ever see a chopper with a leaf spring rear end? (XS650)
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2017, 18:45:06 »
Indian and a couple of others used leaf spring rear suspension around 1912 - 1914.
The springs were basically parallel to the ground, like the quarter elliptic car springs of the day.  Google 1914 Indian and you'll probably see a photo. 
I don't have a clue as to how well (or not) the spring on the bike in your photos works or how it is damped.
Indian also used leaf springs for the front suspension.  My Dad's '39 Indian four had a trailing link leaf spring girder fork and except for limited wheel travel and the fact that the friction shock provided the same damping on compression and rebound (not your optimum set up), worked well enough for all that.
Pat

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2017, 19:29:08 »
Indian and a couple of others used leaf spring rear suspension around 1912 - 1914.
The springs were basically parallel to the ground, like the quarter elliptic car springs of the day.  Google 1914 Indian and you'll probably see a photo. 
I don't have a clue as to how well (or not) the spring on the bike in your photos works or how it is damped.
Indian also used leaf springs for the front suspension.  My Dad's '39 Indian four had a trailing link leaf spring girder fork and except for limited wheel travel and the fact that the friction shock provided the same damping on compression and rebound (not your optimum set up), worked well enough for all that.
Pat

There ya go Pat.

Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2017, 20:25:30 »
Surprisingly, Kawasaki tested leaf spring on it's MX bike (I forget when, 15~20 yrs ago?)
It put hell of a strain on frame though and several bikes broke in two (it is possible to go too far 'lghtening' the frame)
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0