gound wires

mada1594

hello I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to bring all my ground wires for my bike together and ground them with one single wire instead of having multiple grounds on my frame. I am using an M-unit blue so they will be grounded to that. thanks!

With an OEM harness, that's not usually a simple task.

The concept itself isn't too bad, but the execution can be messy. Find all of the ground wires, either shorten them or extend them to the correct length, then ground them against the frame (or other bare metal on the bike). You may need to unwrap and rewrap the harness to make this happen.

Sonreir said:
With an OEM harness, that's not usually a simple task.

The concept itself isn't too bad, but the execution can be messy. Find all of the ground wires, either shorten them or extend them to the correct length, then ground them against the frame (or other bare metal on the bike). You may need to unwrap and rewrap the harness to make this happen.

I'm rewiring my whole bike and installing a motogadget m-unit blue. I guess the best way that I've found so far from researching is to just solder all the wires into 1 wire and ground it.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I try to avoid soldering when I can.

For your setup, it would be possible to crimp the various ground wires into a single connector (most of my ground wires up being about 18 gauge, depending on the component) and then grounding it to the mounting points on the m-unit. Generally, I would take all the ground wires from the front-half of the bike and ground them to one side of the m-unit and the ground wires from the middle of the bike (R/R, ignition unit, etc) and the rear of the bike and then connect those to the opposite grounding point on the m-unit.

Redundant grounds are nice to have in an OEM setup, but they sure make things more difficult to troubleshoot when you're doing your own wiring.

Sonreir said:
I try to avoid soldering when I can.

For your setup, it would be possible to crimp the various ground wires into a single connector (most of my ground wires up being about 18 gauge, depending on the component) and then grounding it to the mounting points on the m-unit. Generally, I would take all the ground wires from the front-half of the bike and ground them to one side of the m-unit and the ground wires from the middle of the bike (R/R, ignition unit, etc) and the rear of the bike and then connect those to the opposite grounding point on the m-unit.

Redundant grounds are nice to have in an OEM setup, but they sure make things more difficult to troubleshoot when you're doing your own wiring.

Any particular reason you avoid soldering just a pain to do?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Mostly because it's a pain in the ass, but also because soldering stiffens the wire. Soldered joins are OK, mid-run, but I try to avoid it at the ends where the stresses tend to be greater.

Back
Top Bottom