Starting CB360 in the cold (15F) - Should I be concerned?

sl0flyer

Hi Everyone - long time reader, first time post!

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a decent running 76' CB360t with 14k miles for $500. I've been reading about some oil circulation problems with this engine and concerned that starting and testing it in 15F weather may harm the engine.

A few things come to mind:
-Is there anything I can do to ensure oil passages aren't clogged before starting?
-Are there any particular oil passages that are of concern?
-Should I just plan to start it, let it warm up and see what happens?
-Anything else about 76' CB360t that I should look at? I've read about fork brace cracking and camshaft recalls, but these should be sorted by 76'.
-Anyone have tips on testing all gears without killing myself on slippery roads? I was thinking about just putting the back wheel on a patch of ice and shifting through the gears.. not ideal of course

Thanks everyone!!

Find out when it was last serviced and what oil was used, as long as it doesn't have 20w/50 in it things will be fine. It's also better to keep motor spinning around 2~2,500 rpm while warming up, constant throttle is better than opening/closing as there are less load reversals and more oil fling.
Kick it over 5~6 times, oil will be thick enough to get most places although 'splash feed' wont happen until it's warmed up and oil thins out a bit. I would probably use a 0w/20 if weather is going to stay cold for a few months, it will need changing at 700~1000 miles though
It's easier to have it on centre stand and drag back brake although I would just ride it.( and fit spiked tyres for 'back-road use' ;) )
It's good fun being the crazy f****r on a bike

Hi I just wanted to say thank you for the response. The seller was able to heat his garage for a few hours to bring bikes temp up before starting. It fired right up and I purchased.

I will be doing the basic (albeit overdone) brat style on this bike in the coming months. I promise to research heavily before asking any questions that you have responded to 100 times before ;)

Attachments

• 20180118_092456.jpg
    20180118_092456.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 175
  • 20180118_092344.jpg
    20180118_092344.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 191
If you do enough research you probably won't need to ask any questions but maybe just a little clarification on a few points.
The 360 has become very well covered in the last few years which is a bit surprising considering it was pretty much 'junk'10 yrs ago.
I still think Honda should be paying me for fixing their mess ;D

Back
Top Bottom