CB550F Triple Tree Cad Files?

snmavridis

Gettin my life together. One bolt. At a time.
Does anyone have a cad file for a CB550F triple tree they would like to share? I finally have access to a machine shop at school and can start milling my own stuff! I want to machine a new triple tree to accommodate my new tach, speedo, and ignition switch, but I don't want to mess up the geometry of the forks. I've read that the 76 CB550F has an offset of 60mm in one place, and 50mm in another. I checked my bike and it seems like stock is closer to 45mm. Needless to say, I'm confused and would rather just get a cad file that's tried and true if anyone wants to share.

Cheers

Download Fusion360 and get to work, it’s free. You can draw it, CAM it, and machine it. That’s how I do all my stuff.

fusion360 is what I have been using to mock up stuff for my project. it took me a little to learn but it's VERY easy, a couple tutorials and messing around I was able to make some complex things.

For free software, Fusion is killer. The Cam side of it is practically identical to HSM Works. HSM sets you back $12K.

Not a fan of the cloud base, but when free, or leasing, it makes sense.

The cloud side is the shit if you work from multiple work stations. I often CAD at my office work station in my down time. Head home and fine tune the drawing and start the CAM on the couch with my laptop. Then when I'm close I head to the shop and finish the CAM by measuring the stock and setting tool numbers all on the PC that controls my machine. Before Fusion I would carry around thumb drives, misplace the most current version of things, have to redraw or re-CAM. It was a mess.

I get that, and that is nice.

But, at some point, they're going to pull a photobucket, and everything is gone until a ransom is paid.

Everything is stored locally and in the cloud as I understand it. You can even work offline if you wish. That said, I backup all my stuff on my server just in case.

I've got Autodesk and solidworks, so the software isn't the problem, I'm honestly just trying to cut corners on designing the part in cad because I don't want to mess up my geometry. Was hoping someone here had a cad model to get the numbers right, so I don't mess it up. This weekend I'm going to take the top triple off and sketch it out on graph paper to make sure the offset is proper before I cut a chunk of aluminum and realized I'd messed it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using DO THE TON mobile app

snmavridis said:
I've got Autodesk and solidworks, so the software isn't the problem, I'm honestly just trying to cut corners on designing the part in cad because I don't want to mess up my geometry. Was hoping someone here had a cad model to get the numbers right, so I don't mess it up. This weekend I'm going to take the top triple off and sketch it out on graph paper to make sure the offset is proper before I cut a chunk of aluminum and realized I'd messed it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using DO THE TON mobile app

cut it out of paper first.

There's a saying you'll soon become familiar with, if you continue to spend much time in a machine shop.

That saying is: "Fuck it, run it."

Offset is easy to measure, readily available online to boot. Program it, set it up, and run it.

J-Rod10 said:
There's a saying you'll soon become familiar with, if you continue to spend much time in a machine shop.

That saying is: "Fuck it, run it."

Offset is easy to measure, readily available online to boot. Program it, set it up, and run it.

HA!
I must agree fully. I'm never 100% sure something is going to work. But fuck it, run it and see. ;D

Be overly cautious with your lead ins and outs, make sure you're not going to nail a fixture with an endmill, and give it a go.

Good luck!

I have a custom height vise after setting my heights .005 too low yesterday. CNC is a blast, really. It's a lesson on preparation, much like racing in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom