Dyna green coils

yozzer74

Been Around the Block
Hi ive been making a wiring harness using motogadget m unit I have the coils powered from aux. I've noticed that the coils are warm when I turn the key on is this normal .the coils are new

Attachments

• 20180318_143021.jpg
    20180318_143021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 206
  • 20180318_143008.jpg
    20180318_143008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
Those Dynas will get warm. That's one reason you don't want to leave them on for too long unless the bike is running. I would run power to the coils through the kill switch and separate from lighting.

Better yet, run the wire from the kill switch to a relay and then give the coils power directly from the battery.

jrogers said:
Better yet, run the wire from the kill switch to a relay and then give the coils power directly from the battery.
Running coils through a kill switch is doing exactly that. Why do you need a relay? A kill switch can be a simple on/off toggle. battery->kill switch->coil.

irk miller said:
Running coils through a kill switch is doing exactly that. Why do you need a relay? A kill switch can be a simple on/off toggle. battery->kill switch->coil.
Popular mod on the DOHC's. Theoretically, you get better, more consistent spark.

Relays are used on starter circuits to improve starting since it lowers current to the switch and increases current to the starter. I'm not understanding how a relay will improve spark, since it won't make the coil store any more energy, nor does it increase voltage. Dwell is what effects spark, and a coil can only go to 100%. Too little voltage and the dwell decreases- weak spark. To much voltage the dwell increases and the coil overheats- weak spark.

In most cases, it does increase voltage.

Stock, power to the coils is routed through the handle bar switch. You get some resistance, and rarely get the full 12 volts at the coils. With the coil relay mod, it ties your coils directly to the battery via a fused relay, and you get the full voltage to the coils.

There's a ton of threads on it, on the DOHC forum, and GS forum.

Interesting. That means it should work the same on any non-CDI bike then. Curious why it's only a thing on the DOHC threads. I'll have to try that out on my chopper.

I do it to any street bike to increase coil voltage from 10-12 to around 13v. A typical circuit is battery to main switch to kill switch to coils to points to ground with resistance at each step along the way. On a GT750 there's 1-2 volts drop through all that mess of crappy connections.

Wired George has a write up about it. i'm doing this at the same time i'm converting the old fuse block from cylinder fuses to spade fuses so that extra slot in the new 4 fuse block doesn't go to waste. and everything ends up a little cleaner

http://www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/extensions/components/content-component/article-categories/89-coils

I've seen those coils get REALLY hot when left when energized and not running - enough to make me consider nearby wire routing and potential insulation damage. Not something that normally happens - As I recall I was working on a wiring harness and had the ignition energized for a long time. Coils seemed not to be damaged by the abuse though. A relay can't be a bad thing, though I have not ever needed to add one myself.

The coils didn't get hot hot just warm to the touch .and it was only one .the other wasn't warm at all ??

yozzer74 said:
The coils didn't get hot hot just warm to the touch .and it was only one .the other wasn't warm at all ??

If that circuit were open (e.g. points open for that side) then no current flows and no heat in the coil. Not uncommon at all for one coil's circuit to be open while the other is closed.

Thanks to everyone for their input and comments and I will certainly be checking the voltage at the coil, for every bike I own.
Pat

Dyna green coils

Why not power them from the ignition output on m.unit? Thats how I did it on my bike.

b58e617757be431b19cc25e51aaa03af.jpg

Back
Top Bottom