50ccs of fury 14 year olds get to school ride

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
I swear i started a thread already but i can't find it anyway got this whip for $200 with a title Nd new tires so already in the black. Has sat a couple years. 2005 Hyosung Rally 50. So far. Cleaned carb. It was disgusting. Freed ztuck cables. Needs a battery. Doing compression test tomorrow. Then I will go through the wiring and make sure all that is good.

1732-070918204616.jpeg

1732-080918183052.jpeg

1732-080918183210.jpeg

If i’m not mistaken, hyosung made a whole bunch of suzuki bikes also, i think they made (make?) a nock off sv650 that wasn’t too bad for the price point. Probably a pretty solid machine if maintenance was done.
Is this a get it running for the kid and teach him maintenance project or some weird badass cafe scooter (is that a thing?) project?

Correct they are a tier one Syzuki supplier and have a bunch of clones based o those parts. Sv650 250 scooters etc. Checked crankcase oil it was nice and clean so looks like some stuff was done in its life. Its not a chinese piece of mismatched crap. Good quality bits all a round.

Ok so we fixed aome bad wires, new main fuse, etc. It needs a new fan and shroud, that is ordered. Ordered front brake pads. Fired her up. Runs, but dies after a few seconds and wint fire back up. First i had no air box on so I reinstalled that with clened filter. It fired, idled, reved up and back tire was spinning like crazy then it quit and wont fire right away again? I am still learning about scooters

Is the coil on the way out?

Scooter engine should be just like a small bike engine. The transmission is different but the rest should be the same.

OK, so by end of day I got it to run much better, played with the pilot. I couldn't find a suggested starting point so I made small adjustments in and out until it idled for long enough to get warm, then reved it to get the back wheel rolling and let off and it stayed running and idled well. That's as far as I got engine wise, the fan and shroud exploded and it was getting hot not moving so I'll wait for the replacement to come in before I tune it more. Front brakes work but pads are completely gone. Ordered new of those. At one point it wasn't charging and I tested the R/R and it seemed to be bad, I ordered one of those too but later I checked again and it was charging so I may not have needed it but it was 10 bucks. we have one blinker ot working. I haven't tested the headlight yet but so far we're in for 200 + 50 in gas, 75 for a fuse holder, fuses and a new AGM battery, 35 for the fan/shroud/cover OEM too. and 10 for brakes, 10 for an R/R. so 380 so far. Pretty cheap for what looks to be a great bike for him to run until it gets too cold. Then he can pretty it up a bit over winter. re-do seat. clean up plastics a bit etc. He did a lot of the wrenching too and is learning how it all works so he can check stuff if it acts up while riding.

Yep, he needs to get his license still so that is next. He started studying for the written test, hope to get that done shortly then he can practice for the riding test.

Still not 100% on carb. I got it running and rode it arojnd the yard but it stalled out and was hard to start. Once the fan parts arrive and J can warm it up proper and set the pilot and idle I think it will be good. I was researching derestriction and looks like PO did that.

Anyone know a good resource for tuning one of these. It's a Morini design with a Mikuni carb. Pilot is a fuel screw as it goes into the bowl so out = richer but I need a base point of how many turns out it should be to start. Also the slide stop is a screw for idle speed and I'd like a base point for that too if I can get one. There is tons of shit on the interwebs but I have yet to find a factory setting for the 2 screws i.e. screw in gently all the way and back out 1.5 turns, warm engine then adjust in or out until idle is XXXX etc.

Found and printed, thanks to Irk posting in another thread the Mjkuni vm carb tuning instructions which have the baseline starting points and how to adjust for elevation and conditione etc. So I ordered a tach as bike doesnt have one and we can set idle and pilot wirh those and go from there.

farmer92 said:
If i’m not mistaken, hyosung made a whole bunch of suzuki bikes also, i think they made (make?) a nock off sv650 that wasn’t too bad for the price point. Probably a pretty solid machine if maintenance was done.
Is this a get it running for the kid and teach him maintenance project or some weird badass cafe scooter (is that a thing?) project?

yep, hyosung still make the 650 in a couple of guises and a mate has got one, the quality is not up to suzuki in terms of finish and fit but cheap and reliable enough, they've sold a million of the things here in australia. the 250 models look the same and are one of the few bikes in that class that are a reasonable physical size so i think that helped the sell too

there was talk a few years ago of them moving up to the litre class probably using a knock off of the suzuki 1000 vtwin but it hasn't happened yet

the one side that really lets them down is quality of fasteners/bolts etc, they tend to use cheap instarust stuff of a not particu;arly high tensile spec and the brake caliper bolts are particularly suspect, maybe check that sort of stuff on this little toy but should be a good thing.

i once saw one of the 650 cruiser models that had obviously had the brake bolt problem and the rear caliper was held on with cable ties......

Ha, yep, that is a week spot for sure, I've already swapped out a dozen or more important fasteners after them snapping and needing a drilling out. Thankfully the size and thread patterns of those have been readily available in the local parts store selections.

Maritime said:
Ha, yep, that is a week spot for sure, I've already swapped out a dozen or more important fasteners after them snapping and needing a drilling out. Thankfully the size and thread patterns of those have been readily available in the local parts store selections.
I should say a dozen swapped but only 3 that I had to drill. I just changed all the same bolts after one in a section was bad. All the trans case swapped. air box swapped 2-3 mount bolts for the plastics etc.

Fan parts arrived. Got them installed and let the bike warm up well. Played with the pilot enough to get it to idle, rev, and return to idle worhout stalling. Rode it down the road only to discover the speedo doesnt work so have to fix that. Cable was siezed so pb blaster to the rescue, put it alm back and still nothing. So need to determine if its the speedo or the hub drive now. Thats today. When the tach arrives and front brake pads she'll be ready to license a d insure

Back
Top Bottom