1970 CB450 build - Now renamed "Piston Killer"

Gage Werke Composites

Been Around the Block
Well here we go. It's been in the works for about four months now. Hopefully will be finished up in a month or so.

DSCF0010-1.jpg

When I got her, piston #2 frozen. Guess that's what happens when you leave the sparkplug out in a rain storm. Not bad for $200 though.

Re: 1970 CB450 build

More pics:

Picture025.jpg

Frame tore down and rear hoop welded on
Picture027.jpg

Laser cut mounting tabs for seat and tank welded on
carb.jpg

Carb cleaned up and top painted
Picture022.jpg

New CR450 tank plug in the process

I have never considered a glass tank due to the nasty gasoline on the market. What is the latest resin people are using to make them? Is it 100% long term fuel proof?

Hancock said:
I have never considered a glass tank due to the nasty gasoline on the market. What is the latest resin people are using to make them? Is it 100% long term fuel proof?

Our tanks will be double coated with an anti-ehtanol/gasoline resistant coating. We will coat them when they are in two halves and then coat them again after we "glue" them together. I just get non ethanol gas at the truck stop for my "lawn mower" and run that. The ethanol gas is hell on the aluminum carbs and intakes too.

When I was in SC, they had a couple gas stations that advertised "No Ethanol/Pure Gas". Here in Atlanta, addition of ethanol is reqd by law to meet clean air standards. So far Nixon has taken to her new diet without much fuss, but I think the problems that arise are more long term in nature.

Keep the pics coming!

Gage Werke Composites said:
Our tanks will be double coated with an anti-ehtanol/gasoline resistant coating. We will coat them when they are in two halves and then coat them again after we "glue" them together. I just get non ethanol gas at the truck stop for my "lawn mower" and run that. The ethanol gas is hell on the aluminum carbs and intakes too.

I use primarily West System epoxy on all my aircraft projects and have used it mixed with 422 barrier coat for some aviation auxilary tanks, but those are only going to be exposed to 100LL Avgas which does not have all the nasty additives that modern car gas does. I woud be very interested in hearing what products you have used with modern car gas as I had had given up on ever making tanks (for bikes or ultralights that run car gas) again out of composites. You have sparked my interest in it again if you have found a combination that truly works good with the new gas. Nice looking project by the way.... I am doing a 450 also.... http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=4270.0

Real nice work! Don't take this the wrong way but I knew you were going to do something sexy! Love everything! Those mounting tabs are a nice touch!! Keep us posted

Hancock said:
I use primarily West System epoxy on all my aircraft projects and have used it mixed with 422 barrier coat for some aviation auxilary tanks, but those are only going to be exposed to 100LL Avgas which does not have all the nasty additives that modern car gas does. I woud be very interested in hearing what products you have used with modern car gas as I had had given up on ever making tanks (for bikes or ultralights that run car gas) again out of composites. You have sparked my interest in it again if you have found a combination that truly works good with the new gas. Nice looking project by the way.... I am doing a 450 also.... http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=4270.0

I'm working w/ a chemical company now (thank god for that chemistry degree) on getting an improved coating out that truely resists the sh!##y ethanol gas. My brother has coated his tank probably four different times now using just about everything on the market and is still having problems. Now it's gumming up his carbs. Wonder what the enviros would prefer more, more fuel consumption or vaporized styrene getting into the atmosphere from ethanol gas in fiberglass tanks.

Yep, the ethanol crap needs to end sooner rather than later. Maybe at some point the general public will finally understand that ethanol is not financially feasible withouty govt subsidies...... Unfortunately the rest of us who enjoy messing with old cars/bikes/boats etc have to suffer.

This is going way to sloooowwwww. But here is some pics of my jugs and the top of my lower end (sounds dirty).

Bead blasted, high heat primer, high heat black for the jugs, and aluminum with clear top coat for the lowers.

jugs bored to 74mm

Picture043.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Updates:
I finally finished lacing and truing the wheels.
Picture184.jpg

Motor going back together
Picture230.jpg

Picture229.jpg

Battery tray welded on
Picture231.jpg

Two tone head done
Picture233.jpg

Woking on the dual disc set up
Picture236.jpg

Picture238.jpg

My CR tank top in the rough
Picture239.jpg

Picture241.jpg

Man... really nice work. I am glad to know there are some Oregonians with skills. Any chance I could commission a seat for my new XS400? If you are ever coming through GP let me know.

I am looking forward to seeing more progress.

Later,

Ryan

Mach-5(50) said:
Man... really nice work. I am glad to know there are some Oregonians with skills. Any chance I could commission a seat for my new XS400? If you are ever coming through GP let me know.

I am looking forward to seeing more progress.

Later,

Ryan

The XS400 plug is just about finished. Should be finished by the end of next month. Once I make a mold from it I'd be happy to build you one. My Brother in Central Point is my plug maker and some of us guys get together at his place once a month to wrench on our cafe's. I'll let you know next time I'm down that way and maybe you could bring your bike over.

ahhh sick build. great lines.

can't wait to see it all come together.

also kinda worries me to know that i get the same amount of excitement when looking at pictures of 'jugs and lower ends' from a dude.

:-\

Got the go fast thing installed:

Sorry cellphone pics
SSPX0149.jpg

SSPX0150.jpg

Bored over to about 499cc, race clutch, all new seals and gaskets, k&n pods on the carbs

Don't mind the tank. It's just a mock up lid to get an idea where everything will sit.

Back
Top Bottom