KZ440 First build, FINISHED

Re: KZ440 First build, starting reassembly

xb33bsa said:
it is real easy to check with one shock off bike on its wheels and a ratchet strap to pull down on the side with a shock ;)

I did this today, and i have to give you credit, where it was sitting in the above picture it was hitting, so i shifted it forward 1inch, now i have no problems.
thanks for the tip on the one shock and ratchet

Seat is done and the ugly number shield bracket is on for the giant number plates you have to run here in Germany

I also need to do something about that key ignition, it cant stay there.

Wiring is next on the list

Attachments

• Seat2.JPG
    Seat2.JPG
    791.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Seat.jpg
    Seat.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Seat1.jpg
    Seat1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 252

A little update from me, go the shiney new exhaust on today, and a few other little thing, change the ignition placement and added a K&N as the motor breather

Just wiring and carb to go on, then i should be rolllling

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 246
  • Intake.jpg
    Intake.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 242
  • Ingnition..jpg
    Ingnition..jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 247
Re: KZ440 First build, Home stretch

M.B Co said:
I love that exhaust, who makes that?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MOTAD-2-1-Auspuff-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Z-400-B-G-TWIN-Z-440-C-TWIN-76-81-NEW-/261538848237?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item3ce4ee1ded

I wasnt too sure about it, wanted shorty's on it, but that would be hard to get it road legal in germany.

So went with the safe option, looking forward to hearing how it sounds

jsnabbs said:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MOTAD-2-1-Auspuff-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Z-400-B-G-TWIN-Z-440-C-TWIN-76-81-NEW-/261538848237?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item3ce4ee1ded

I wasnt too sure about it, wanted shorty's on it, but that would be hard to get it road legal in germany.

So went with the safe option, looking forward to hearing how it sounds
I've heard good things about Motad exhausts. I don't think we can get them in the USA, and the $561 price (calculated) might put off some folks too.

zap2504 said:
I've heard good things about Motad exhausts. I don't think we can get them in the USA, and the $561 price (calculated) might put off some folks too.

thats good to hear, i havent heard anything about them, but was the only 2-1 system i could find here

You can always hack it off and use a nice stainless clamp to install a stainless 12" reverse cone shorty.

M.B Co said:
You can always hack it off and use a nice stainless clamp to install a stainless 12" reverse cone shorty.

once its road legal, i could get my metalwork guy to make me some headers for a shorty system, but then i have a 400euro exhaust sitting here

after its legal i will start with drilling out the baffle, or who knows, i havent even heard it yet

jsnabbs said:
once its road legal, i could get my metalwork guy to make me some headers for a shorty system, but then i have a 400euro exhaust sitting here
Or get him to make up a 2-1 collector that fits the Motad headers and put whatever exhaust on it you want (saving the Motad exhaust for inspection time).

Took a few pics of the bike outside, its just about there, only the wiring to go

Attachments

• Just1.JPG
    Just1.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 278
  • Just2.jpg
    Just2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 282
  • Just3.JPG
    Just3.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 276
  • Just4.JPG
    Just4.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 284
  • Just5.JPG
    Just5.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 275

As i know nothing about electrical work and want it to be done to a professional standard, i'm dependant on a auto electrician, he's had the bike 5 weeks :(

As the weather starts to get colder here im wondering if i will get to ride this year.

lesson learnt from this build,,,, things take longer than one thinks

I don't get it. The electrics on my bike were a piece of piss. I used the stock harness and didn't make any real changes. I moved the key switch & used a cheap speedo and added a new flasher unit. That's the kiwi can do attitude right there bro! Have a go mate!

Rustyhama said:
I don't get it. The electrics on my bike were a piece of piss. I used the stock harness and didn't make any real changes. I moved the key switch & used a cheap speedo and added a new flasher unit. That's the kiwi can do attitude right there bro! Have a go mate!

Im having all new wiring done, i know my limits and electrics are above them

Any new updates? I've been debating for quite some time to attempt such a feat such as you have. Did you have a price range you tried to keep in between? I have no idea what a project such as this would run me if I decided to attempt it.

Sorry no new updates, my bike is still sitting at the workshop and has been now for 10 weeks, waiting for the guy to do the electrics.

I did drop off the tank to get some paint so there will be some pics coming soon.

I didnt really set a budget so to say but i did have a price in my head i was willing to put in to the bike.

I bought the bike for €600
All up its just over €5000 including bike purchase, the biggest cost for me was getting the parts and workmanship for the engine rebuild, that was €2000

Guess these projects can cost as little or as much as one wants, it depends on so many things. I personally am ok with the money i put in to this bike, others may think that its too much. For me i had a lot of work done by others because i wanted the workmanship to be done to a higher level that what i can do, etc motor, electrics, metal work fab, seat upholstery and so on.

Basically i took the thing apart, made it look pretty and put it back together, im no "builder" or "artist" or "tuner"

End of the day do some research about pricing where ever you are, i dont know what things cost where you are.
It cost a bit of money, but its fun doing it, go for it if you can

Hey, that's not bad if you are happy with it. It's something you visioned and made happen. Kudos.

I may have $2,000 US in parts in mine. Granted, the bike was free and I did everything myself besides the seat upholstery.

Back
Top Bottom