RX125 1979 plaything

beardo_creeps

Picked up a 1979 Yamaha RX125 from a local farm a few weeks back, supposedly seized, with the intent to salvage parts and use the tank for an IT175 build I've been toying with. Got it home and realised that it wasn't seized at all, just the rear drums jammed on and that I have managed to get a fun bike to toy with.

The IT has now taken a step back and the fun of making a sweet little lane splitter is taking full hold.

It's early stages yet, but any advice on this model would be welcomed. Hard as chewing salt to find decent info on them.

Plan is to strip her down, tab the frame (and possibly paint it up in a blood red), blast and repaint the tank in original silver, flat bars, black everything else then spotlight headlight and LED tail/side lights. Seat will likely be a home job, low and flat.

All subject to change, I go on tangents at times.

Attachments

• RX in trailer.jpg
    RX in trailer.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 287
  • RX semi stripped.jpg
    RX semi stripped.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 300
Slowly.

Had a trip away and live 300km from the shed I've got the bike in..

Now have spark, compression, new carbie and a mostly stripped bike. Hoping to work out the last of the issues this week actually, have time off with the ol' man to tinker.

Will post an update after the weekend, hopefully with some positive news.

Chris.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 281
There's a running bike in the shed! Points were gapped too wide.. Rookie error.

Friday I'll have a change to finish stripping and get a few cleaner parts on. Stoked!

Love the red frame color idea. Black frames are too boring in my opinion.
Also is this a dry sump engine? Is that plastic reservoir for oil?

Great build, keep it up!

The fun of playing with bikes that aren't particularly common in your country.. Have to get some wheels sorted and it's proving to be quite the pain in the ass...

It's coming along, albeit much slower than I'd like.

Picked up a set of FZR bars, popped them on upside down for a peep. Not sure if I'll run them this way or as a slight rise. Slightly leaning toward a scrambler look over a cafe look the more I think on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 284
Stripped and sanded the tank the other night, pretty stoked on how it came up.

Currently toying with the idea of some sign writing on it with a clear coat over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 256
Hope this is still coming along! I just picked one of these things up aswell a 79' model that im making a race bike out of.

Sick! Where are you in the world? I want another for a similar build/parts bike.

Still coming along, playing with body shape and seat at the moment. Got to sort wheels and lights too..

Sorting stance and shape. Thoughts on the rear guard?

Not set on the bars sloping down, may adopt a scrambler stance once I decide on a seat style..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 257
Yea im in canberra mate.

I actually saw you add on gumtree lol.

I like the rear guard, i reckon a flat seat, cut some of the back section of and weld a loop on.

Like this one:

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/04/05/adrms-85-kawasaki-kh100-the-pickle.html

Ahh. Did you get the yellow one with a parts engine?

My ad paid dividends last week, scored a 1980 rx in real nice shape, 9000km on the clock and garaged for a majority of its life for a smooth 500. Pretty stoked.

Also nailed a job back in Sydney so I'm rather excited to have potentially two little rat bikes to tear around the city on! Thinking I'll keep one real rat/cafe/stripped and the other a proper scrambler look. Should be fun.

Nah i didnt. Mines red. Engine not running atm. Working my way through all the issues.

Ahh bugger ya! Wish i'd gotten something like that! Let me know if you come across any spare wheels. I'd like another set for wet weather tyres :D

Picked up a set of xt660 wheels, I like the size on the rx. They're off to the wheel guy to have the rx hubs fitted hopefully before Christmas!

Anmic, check, then recheck the points. They caused so much grief for me..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 244
That looks bad ass dude!

Rightio yea mines playing "Hard to start" i'll double check them when i get a chance. Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom