Reccommendations for Machine Shop in Chicago (Bore and Hone)

RyansTwin

Hey Guys and Gals,

First bike, first build. Ran well for a few weeks but as we all know nothing is perfect. Checked compression with 90 on left and 150 on right. Did the oil in sparkplug hole and it did raise the comp for a little bit. With my limited knowledge I presumed it was a piston/ring problem.

I pulled the engine last week. Removed top end. Everything looks pretty good. Cam chain tensioner was in decent shape as well. Piston on left had a blown top ring accompanied by a FRIED piston with a nice chip on the side. Cylinder walls are in pretty awesome shape except for a tiny scratch on the RIGHT cylinder that my nail can catch on. OK, no big deal.

Next step, Bore and hone both cylinders. I've already ordered a gasket kit from Sirius and new 65mm (1mm os) pistons, pins and rings from Boretech. I'm still within spec (64.5mm), but i figured that scratch might come back to haunt me if i just replaced with stock size pistons and rings. I dont know if a simple hone can get the scratch out without going oversize.

[size=14pt]My Question[/size]
Does anyone (Joe?) know of any shops from first hand experience that can do the work? I've been quoted 250 by Windy City Engineering for both honed and bored. Good deal or not? I want to be sure the shop knows what they're doing with respect to tolerances, clearances, and type of resurfacing for new rings.

I'll get more pics if anyone wants to see the internals.
CB350SideAngle.jpg

I have used MCC in Villa Park for machine shop services. I had the heads and valves done on my 350 by them a few years ago and I think it was around $100 but can't really remember. I think they have recently moved and are in a much larger facility now. They have always treated my good and even though they are not a Honda dealer I still buy some of my parts from them + it's nice to go and drool over the shiny new duc's sitting in the show room.

Kev

After talking to over a dozen shops and going to 3 that claimed they could "definitely" help me. I've bitten the bullet and sent my cylinders into BoreTech. I guess I'll be rebuilding my carbs while I wait...

RyansTwin said:
After talking to over a dozen shops and going to 3 that claimed they could "definitely" help me. I've bitten the bullet and sent my cylinders into BoreTech. I guess I'll be rebuilding my carbs while I wait...

Can I ask what size pistons you ended up going with, and what did Boretech charge to bore/hone? Any other services they provided?

iContango said:
Can I ask what size pistons you ended up going with, and what did Boretech charge to bore/hone? Any other services they provided?

Sorry for the delay. I got married and project got put on hold.

I went with 1mm over stock. It came with pins and rings. Boretech charged around $200 iirc for bore and hone. Beautiful job btw. Quick turnaround as well. I'm glad I went with Boretech for the peace of mind that I know it was done right, and everthing will fit together perfectly.

I also went with the KA Tensioner and Tsubaki cam chain.
Side note: Milling the clearance for the new slipper with a dremel is hard. Aluminum shavings everywhere!!!
2012-08-26_14-05-22_551.jpg

Back
Top Bottom